Bedford pics Info

Carruthers

Ive never heard of gas detection paint? :? I suppose it does what it says on the tin though :whistle:

It apparantly changed colour in the presence of gas, it was on all vehicles, from the beginning of the war onward, in a position forward of the driver, for instance on the headlamp shell of motorcycles, bonnet of trucks, or in the case of some forward control trucks, a special shelf was fitted to the fornt of the cab, ie Bedford QL, Fordson WOT6 and WOT8, etc.

Richard

The gun is the French 25mm Hotchkiss issued to some BEF units to standardise with the French. George Forty describes it as "almost useless"

I agree with Richard's view that the large blob is gas-detector paint. It is generally more visible in BEF era pictures when the fear of gas was still high. The early-war paint seems to have been a brighter yellow than used later. In the presence of Mustard, it turned a pinky red.

The normal size for vehicles (other than M/Cs) was about a foot across so it looks as if this crew knocked the tin over :-)

The Bedford is presumably in Khaki Green No.3 with an overpainting of Dark Green No. 4 or Light Green No.5

"Most" (dangerous word that) pictures that I can find of Front-line BEF vehicles do show some camouflage but because it worked with different hues rather than tonal contrast it is not so immediately obvious as later schemes in b/w photographs, particularly if low-res.

Rich.

• 5 months later...

A rather different sort of Bedford portee here :-

capturedbedfordporteeui9.th.jpg

121 euro and counting !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300236309218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

...and another one in what looks like Caunter scheme. Nice !

usedom53iv4.th.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290242445491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Rich.

A rather different sort of Bedford portee here :-

capturedbedfordporteeui9.th.jpg

121 euro and counting !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300236309218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

...and another one in what looks like Caunter scheme. Nice !

usedom53iv4.th.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290242445491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Rich.

:sweat:£141.00............. for a photo,.........:shake::shake::shake::shake:

Ok certainly a pic I'd not seen before of a MW,........but strewth.....

2nd pic looks to be an OX, poss ex RASC judging by the 'shadow' left on wing.

Good finds.

Andy

The expensive picture was bought by Sudek 13. His name is feared amongst collecters of German wartime photos. He seems to be a wealthy backer with a handful of helpers who watch eBay for him. There is talk of access for researchers but little proof.

Things are so bad that many people bid against him just to push the price up (They know that they are unlikely to win ). I have bid against him on a few pictures with abandoned BEF stuff but there is no point at all really. If my price is about £15 then he'll pay £150 (but then so presumably will someone else).

Personally I'd rather go to the IWM with my credit card and buy decent copies of their images.

Um, also go the C.I.O.S. Channel island Occupation society website. I can think of two photos a Morris Commercial and a Bedford in German colours. I'll find them and post them, once I can remember the combination the vault. :-D

My interest is really in the abandoned stuff still with clear British markings. The search term to use on eBay.de is 'beute' but it is over-used for anything captured, abandoned or which the seller can't identify !

To me a photograph is interesting if it gives me new information and it has no intrinsic value. However, those photo collector chappies haven't got a proper money-pit hobby where they can get their hands dirty, have they ?