Speedo heads.

Tony B

Question

18 answers to this question

I thought that they were different due to tyre size mines r/h drive but has a km speedo i may be wrong

This may have been compensated for, by the ratio of the drive gear in the transfer box. Normally on a Smiths speedo, there is a small number on the face that means something like cable revs. per mile. If you find this number, compare with a Series 3 clock. The number is usually about 4 figures and could be on the edge or even in the centre.

On a 101 like most instruments there only there to keep the driver amused and fill a hole in the dash board. Speed is normally judged by the noise from the front axle on overun. For those who have never heard it scares the pants of you the first time.

On a 101 like most instruments there only there to keep the driver amused and fill a hole in the dash board. Speed is normally judged by the noise from the front axle on overun. For those who have never heard it scares the pants of you the first time.

Too right first time i drove one in the army i thought what the hell have i broken now!

Just curious at what speed does that overrun noise show up ? does it always begin at the same speed as in only accelerating or will could you be descending a hill and the speed of the vehicle effectively in coasting also make the overrun condition ?

Normally get to about 50 mph and let off power of so she freewheels. Result is a grinding graunching noise, no vibration though, they all do it for some reason.

There may be a reason behind these noisy axles, they were not like that when new. They were prone to oil leaks at the pinion flange, due to off road work and mud getting in the seal. When you renew the oil seal, there is a crushable spacer between the pinion bearings, this should be renewed in order to reset the bearing preload. I had often found that some numpty had not bothered to renew in the past and then overtightened the bearings.

Worth a try it,s just that my mate has changed his tyre size to 900-16 on a series 3 but then found he was 10mph out on his speedo so swopped it for one out of a 101 and now it is spot on.

Could well be a lwb speedo he used as the swb one is for use with 600 and 650x16 tyres and the lwb one is for use with 750x16 tyres. A 101 uses a swb speedo to keep the gearing matched to the drive gear in the transfer box.

Hi thier,

On my MCC PU it worked out that the 9-13 curcumference was the same as the alternate wheels ive got at

7.5-16 or so close as makes no difference. ( flicker effect :))

One website i looked at can re calibrate your speedo, you mark the drive wheel and remove the speedo drive and put some sort of indicator on the drive cable, push the truck down the road for x No of revolutions of the drive wheel and count the number of revolutions of the drive cable. The guys at the other end work out the rest. Presume that its only worth doing if you end up with radically different fittings to original and intend to keep it that way.

Tim

Hi thier,

push the truck down the road for x No of revolutions of the drive wheel and count the number of revolutions of the drive cable. Tim

This would work on a Land Rover as being pushed is common. Forgive me I love Land Rovers but are truly fix everyday vehicles.

Regarding speedos the numbers on the face I know are:

out of a Landrover mag was you could tell what tyre size the speedo was set up for by the numbers at the bottom of the dial face.

1536 = 88" (205x16)

1376 = 88" (7.50x16)

I thought this interesting as always thought a speedo was a speedo!!