Meanwhile, in Ukraine...

earlymb

There was quite a bit of footage of Spartans being used during the recent Kharkiv offensive, together with other western-supplied APCs. Not the perhaps expected mish-mash of types, either - one unit with a whole column of Spartans, another with M113s, and yet another with Dutch YPR-765s, suggesting they were fresh formations.

• 1 month later...

They are doing exactly what they were made for, against exactly the nemesis they were designed with in mind.  Observed or purported CVRT participation.

I wonder how many Ferrets wound up going?

About 11 minutes in:

Edited by teletech

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, andym said:

I'm a bit confused here.  Who exactly is supplying these vehicles to Ukraine - the MOD or someone else?

Andy

It's a mix.  The MOD has supplied many vehicles, but many more have been purchased by private donors and perhaps even the Ukrainian government.  I believe there have also been donations from other governments, like I wouldn't be surprised to find some of the Latvian CVR(T) had been transferred.

I did notice a Wanted advert on Milweb a while back.

Here's one batch from the MOD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A dozen isn't going to be much help on the battlefield, but it is a game changer in terms of optics and commitment, a major western military sending modern MBT.  Hopefully there will be more to come.  US is (finally) coming up with some Bradleys.  Like the UK and the Challenger 2, 50 is just a token compared to what is needed.  Unlike the UK the US could easily send thousands of Bradleys (and Abrams for that matter) without really drawing down forces all that much. 

Seems like the yanks are going back to being late for every war, sorry about that.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:12 AM, 11th Armoured said:

There was quite a bit of footage of Spartans being used during the recent Kharkiv offensive, together with other western-supplied APCs. Not the perhaps expected mish-mash of types, either - one unit with a whole column of Spartans, another with M113s, and yet another with Dutch YPR-765s, suggesting they were fresh formations.

I'd be interested if you had a link to the footage you saw.

22 hours ago, teletech said:

A dozen isn't going to be much help on the battlefield, but it is a game changer in terms of optics and commitment, a major western military sending modern MBT.  Hopefully there will be more to come.  US is (finally) coming up with some Bradleys.  Like the UK and the Challenger 2, 50 is just a token compared to what is needed.  Unlike the UK the US could easily send thousands of Bradleys (and Abrams for that matter) without really drawing down forces all that much. 

Seems like the yanks are going back to being late for every war, sorry about that.

The balance between the numbers that the UK and USA at least initially send and Putin not upping his game by several gears ?? At one extreme, admittedly unlikely, Putin may think again about what he is doing. At the other more can be drip fed in potentially without the same psychological effect as one large batch. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, AmmoMan said:

01FF40 defending Bakhmut

FrFj7DtX0AE9FPq.thumb.jpg.a4f6fc5b02036e171aefd21640118a34.jpg

Nice to see it pretty much doing what it was built for, just a little farther east.  That much brush over the air intakes is going to be an issue when it's warmer or once it filters through the louvers and packs up on the radiator and I'm not sure the mudflap art helps with camouflage.  Seems the MOD-given ones have the dischargers intact but the civilian-held ones couldn't go with dischargers, is that really the case, or have some slipped through?  Pity they don't have the GPMG fitted as they would be a great comfort facing the human-wave attacks of the mobiliks.

5 minutes ago, teletech said:

Nice to see it pretty much doing what it was built for, just a little farther east.  That much brush over the air intakes is going to be an issue when it's warmer or once it filters through the louvers and packs up on the radiator and I'm not sure the mudflap art helps with camouflage.  Seems the MOD-given ones have the dischargers intact but the civilian-held ones couldn't go with dischargers, is that really the case, or have some slipped through?  Pity they don't have the GPMG fitted as they would be a great comfort facing the human-wave attacks of the mobiliks.

A video just popped up today, likely to be a GPMG and it's working well clearing trenches.