Meanwhile, in Ukraine...

earlymb

40 minutes ago, AmmoMan said:

A video just popped up today, likely to be a GPMG and it's working well clearing trenches.

Hmmm...check the rear crew door. Spartan rear hinges are vertical? Whereas the door in the video hinges horizontally?

Unless I'm missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a Stormer was damaged or destroyed, but so far that's the only confirmed CVR(T) loss I've been able to find.  One would think with the 100+ Spartans that have gone, we'd see some losses for that platform as well.  Perhaps they are just too small a target.

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody is actually trying to send Scorpion(s)!  I don't know where they are going to come up with useful quantities of 76mm?  Repaircraft PLC had them in their fliers a decade ago and I don't doubt there are stashes somewhere, but it could be a real challenge.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/fundraising-initiative-aims-to-send-british-scorpion-recon-vehicles-to-ukraine

this is all nonsense and begs the questions

why pay for an obsolete vehicle when the UK MoD is giving them to you for nothing?

where do you get ammo for 76 and 30mm?

I find it a little suspicious that numerous individuals and fresh 'charities' are begging for cash so they send overpriced obsolete vehicles to a country that has its own massive arms industry, can easily use captured kit (cause its the same as theirs) and has the big nations falling over themselves to give them the latest cutting edge weapons.

some would call it profiteering.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terryb said:

why pay for an obsolete vehicle when the UK MoD is giving them to you for nothing?

I find it a little suspicious that numerous individuals and fresh 'charities' are begging for cash so they send overpriced obsolete vehicles to a country that has its own massive arms industry, can easily use captured kit (cause its the same as theirs) and has the big nations falling over themselves to give them the latest cutting edge weapons.

Is there profiteering going on?  Why of course there is!  Anyone doubting that hasn't looked at the history of warfare.  The question is it "normal" war profiteering, or is it really corrupt?

The MOD gave some, but not a lot relative to the number needed.  There are still countries using 30 and 76MM in their military, so there must be *some* out there.

I've now seen video of a killed Spartan in Ukraine as well as several live ones, so the vehicles are going there and being used.  I think anyone who thinks there is "enough" material going into the war has perhaps not read enough histories of previous hot wars.  It chews up men and material at rates we mere mortals can't begin to fathom.   Consider the Russian army is resorting to dusting off T-55s and they are a vastly larger country with an arms industry that isn't being targeted by cruise missiles on an almost daily basis.  Ukraine is also trying to not only replace losses, but double or quadruple the size of it's military, so even if you get donations and captures to replace all your losses and then some, there is still plenty of room for more!

• Like 2

Terry is right to sound a note of caution.  No doubt there will be some crooks and dreamers trying to get in on the action.  The key points are:

If they claim to be a charity where are they based and who is regulating them?

Most importantly, if they are sending AFVs to Ukraine, have they got an export licence and / or who is going to get one?  If they they have got a licence you want to see it.  If they clam up with the words "export licence" they are dodgy.

On the 76mm I think that the attraction of CVR(T) is the protected mobility rather than the firepower.  Also, do not underestimate the effectiveness of a turret mounted machine gun with the correct or effective optical sights.

John

I'm not sure how "protected" a Scorpion is in the land of RPGs and such, but better than an armored car for sure and those tracks and low ground-pressure would sure com in handy during the rainy season in Ukraine.  I agree that a GPMG in a good mount with some optics could be very handy.   Allegedly, 76mm is still available:  https://cvrtpro.com/shop/cvrt-scorpion/l23a1-76mm-gun-parts/

3 hours ago, teletech said:

Another video *claiming* Scorpions are being bought for Ukraine. I'm not saying it's not so, but considering the hassle involved in moving even smoke dischargers,  I'll believe it when I see one in the country,

It’s nonsense. The video is full of inaccuracies. There were never 3000 Scorpions built for the British Army, even if you include Abbots which this video also seems to think is a Scorpion. Where are they going to get them from?

Spartans and Sultans have been sold off in large numbers over the last few years so there were plenty about. The Ukrainians only wanted diesels. There were around 300 Scorpions built for the British Army. Of these about 30 were converted to diesel which were used at BATUS and sold off about 10 years ago, now dispersed around the world. 136 Scorpions became Sabres, the rest were sold off/scrapped in the early 90s. 

Its possible they could be from another country eg Jordan, but they won’t be buying a fleet of British Scorpions.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:25 AM, sirhc said:

It’s nonsense. The video is full of inaccuracies. There were never 3000 Scorpions built for the British Army, even if you include Abbots which this video also seems to think is a Scorpion. Where are they going to get them from?

Spartans and Sultans have been sold off in large numbers over the last few years so there were plenty about. The Ukrainians only wanted diesels. There were around 300 Scorpions built for the British Army. Of these about 30 were converted to diesel which were used at BATUS and sold off about 10 years ago, now dispersed around the world. 136 Scorpions became Sabres, the rest were sold off/scrapped in the early 90s. 

Its possible they could be from another country eg Jordan, but they won’t be buying a fleet of British Scorpions.

Well, we all know how often the media gets details about vehicles correct, so I wouldn't attach too much importance to them flubbing so many details.  If they are paying anything like 100,000K (USD.GPB,whatever) each and it's crowdfunded, they wouldn't be buying more than a couple dozen anyway and surely one could come up with that quantity through the simple expedient of posting you would be willing to pay 80K/ea on the classified section of this forum! 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, terryb said:

totally agree 100% propaganda

Interesting to see so very few CVR(T) confirmed-lost so far.  The one from mid-May is interesting as a photo showing a big section of hull sort of broken and the vehicle generally quite charred, but apparently the hull didn't catch fire.

So, the Spartans confirmed lost to-date:https://postimg.cc/zbj5tDy2

Edited by teletech