steviem new jeep

Jerry Jeep

Well, you want a load of antifreeze in the coolant system and if there isn't any currently, it needs a good strong mix and the engine running a while to run it around the whole cooling system.

I like to run all my vehicles over the winter, perhaps once a month, even if they are not out driving. I give them a decent run up to operating temperature and exercise the brakes and clutch several times.

You could put it up on axle stands to take the weight off the tyres to stop flat spots forming.

You'll want some kind of rain cover, but I would want some kind of frame supporting it so a damp tarp isn't resing on the vehicle and you don't get water pooling inside the tub. Could you find a cheap second hand tunnel tent on Ebay to park it in?

You might want to remove the battery and keep it indoors on a maintenance charger.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something or nothing guys  finally got all clear to move the MB to my daughters garage   started drove fine however near her house I managed to stall it, went to start and nothing flat as a fart,  the jeep has stood for a while although I've had it running and it has had cut off attachment near the battery left on although I'm sure nothing would drain it  took battery off and bought it home to fully charge really hoping this is the issue 

Cheers guys,  tbh it's not done many miles but started and run to get to temperature it's possible I suppose that the short run was just to much,  it took a good few hours to become fully charged I guess I'll know more tomorrow   even during tick over should the alternator put charge back in

20221205_191244.jpg

The alternator only produces what I would call a surface charge, basically it keeps the battery topped up, if the battery had discharged enough then the alternator wouldn’t recharge it enough on a run, double check the battery connections and put a voltage meter on the battery when it’s running. 

• Thanks 1

You can buy a trickle charger that can be discreetly fitted, they have a Jack plug type fitting ( properly not the correct name) so you can just plug the charger into the socket without popping the hood every time and connecting to the battery, I had one fitted to a Land Rover 110, the battery was under the seat so the plug in socket made it much easier. 

• Thanks 1

I use a Sealey multimeter, it’s a few year old now but it does the job, I think there about £20, there are cheaper and of course much more expensive ones but for occasional use don’t go mad, it also has an audible continuity function which is useful for checking wiring for breaks or bad connections. 

Edited by 67burwood
  • Thanks 1

I had a modern trickle charger that didn't recognise the battery when it was to low and it did shut off.... So i had to hook up an old charger with only an on and off button. This did the trick. Good luck.

@67burwood.  A friend wanted an amp meter in his car that could also mesure the amps from the starter... he ended up in completly melting his dash...😁

Edited by Citroman
  • Thanks 1

Ok been up connected battery,  pump the gas ensure neutral,  drop the clutch ignition on press the starter and      nothing,  went through the procedure again and it cranked and started up, waiting for multimeter to arrive to test the battery.  Kind of glad it started not so sure its the battery more a loose connection somewhere