WW2 History in Schools

Larry Hayward

Reading the thread on Balham reminded me that when I was at school over thirty years ago I was taught History at 'O' Level and the period we covered was 1815 to 1945.

When it came to WW2 I was taught that Germany invaded Poland in 1939 but it was only much later that I learnt that the Soviet Union also invaded and even Slovakia sent troops to support the Germans.

I wonder why they missed out the Soviet Union etc from our text books?

Jonathn, the political side is important. Too many people study the blood and guts but do not put them in political context, which gives you a far better understanding. So said, in 2005 when celebrating the 60th Anniversary of tghe Liberation in Jersey, teachers were told, 'Don't refer to Germans. The correct tearm will be Forign Occupng forces'. Fortunatley the people who came into the schools to tell the kids what happned, those who were there called them Germans. My old primary school devoted a wek to the subject, culminating with me and the Hampshires reactors and JMVC vehicles turning up as the Liberators, the kids loved it. Later in the pub I was talking to parents and other schools, bearing in mind we are talking about an Island 11x5 miles, had done very little.

Like I said on another thread: There are many kids today who think that Churchill is the puppet dog featured in an advertisement to sell insurance.

Don't know your various ages, but I am surprised at the varying years covered in history by the postings. I went to a Grammar School in 1957. In the first and second year we did a precis of the rule of The Saxon Kings, then 1066, and a brief but succinct coverage of battles up to The War of the Roses. We then spent a good deal of time on Henry the Eighth. (It was a catholic school.)

From the third year to our O levels we covered: Cromwell to the end of the nineteenth century, including European events like the French Revolution.

Twentieth century history was taught to those who chose History as an A level subject.

Slightly off the subject. Does anyone else agree that the television series of the history of our Islands by Simon Sharma, was a well researched, well presented and highly watchable programme?

Rick, they were supposedly neutral. As per Great War, Hitler was trying to avoid war on two fronts. As per normal never learned! One intresting outcome when he did launch Barbarossa he never told the Japenese his so called allies. Hence when Japan launched the attack on Pearl Harbour they never told Hitler, as a result being allied HITLER declared war on the U.S., not the other way around.

My Lad's done WW1 & is doing WW2 now...

I am currently learning WW2 History in school for GCSE.

My course starts at the years leading to the Second World War, from 1918-1938, the years in which Hitler became Anti-Semitic and was imprisoned for trying a Putsch on the Weirmar Government. We also learn about how the German government struggled with poverty, depression, the invasion of the Ruhr (the industrial region) by the French and how Britain strongly disagreed with France at this Point.

We then move onto why Japan invaded China, and then moved on to the USA. We learn about the Soviet Union, and their relationship with Germany.

Harry

It's all a total waste of time! :dunno: Just walked past telly on way to PC and the Lotto quiz for Sun readers was on (wasn't watching, honest :schocked:) A guy who I reckoned was in his mid to late twenties, didn't particularly look like a Neanderthal, was asked when did WW2 start, even given 3 choices. 1933, 1939 and 1945. He said 1933! FFS, what the hell is the UK coming to when twats like that don't even know the basics.

I was taught everything in History from primary onwards, Romans, 1066 etc; remember O level being a lot of C18/19 stuff. Don't actually recall being taught WW2 etc but you sort of knew it anyway (Most of my teachers were involved in it plus Commando comics have a lot to answer for!) That my maths teacher was a Cmdr Phillips RN(ret) but never talked about it sort of sticks in my mind.

I am currently learning WW2 History in school for GCSE.

My course starts at the years leading to the Second World War, from 1918-1938, the years in which Hitler became Anti-Semitic and was imprisoned for trying a Putsch on the Weirmar Government. We also learn about how the German government struggled with poverty, depression, the invasion of the Ruhr (the industrial region) by the French and how Britain strongly disagreed with France at this Point.

We then move onto why Japan invaded China, and then moved on to the USA. We learn about the Soviet Union, and their relationship with Germany.

Harry

Harry, if you want to throw an almighty spanner in the works, do a quick read up of The Franco Prussian War of 1870, then the foundation of Belgium as an independent country in 1878. Also see the position of Alsace Lorraine following the Franco Prussian war. Then read Woodrow Wilson's ideas on the treaty at the end of the Great War, the Versailles treaty and the collapse of the Weimar republic. Also France did not invade the Ruhr, it was claimed under the Versailles treaty, see previous Alsace Lorraine. I guarantee you will wind your teacher in knots, unless they really know their stuff, there won't be an answer for you. PS Hitler was very proud of his Irpn Cross 2nd class won during the great war, never mentioned that the officer that put him up for the award was Jewish. Don't get wound up on the anti-semitism, it was endemic in all soscietys at the time. Pose this question: 'If Hitler had stopped his expansions in 1938, what would the 20th century think of hime now?. I come from part of the UK , Jersey that spent 4 years under Nazi occupation so am no apologist for the Nazi regime, but it's important to think things right the way through.

My daughter at age 5 studied the first world war. Not in too great a detail, but she understood the nature of trench warfare and the terrible human loss. She asked whether any member of her family fought in WW1 and i showed her a picture of her Great Grandfather in his uniform and told her how and where he was injured. She took the picture to bed every night for about a Month.

I am pleased that her school teach her about such things. I think the whole issue is the school itself. Luckily she is in a very good one.

Tim (too)

I thinkits important for them to know this.It is family after all. I only wish my grandffather would have felt able to talk about his experiences.. He was in the BEF and got hospitalised before the Dunkirk evacuation, he never talked about it although was obviously mentally scarred from it. On the other hand his twin brother who now lives in Canada, and has recently come over for a visit maintains that he had a "better war" than his brother. But he doesnt like to talk about it. He did go to the MVT do at Chapel Brampton, Railway at War, and had a great day though. He's in his 80's and had a jive!

When my daughter was in Primary school they had a field trip to the IWM as one - yep one - module of year 5 dealt with the issues of WW1. Somehow I got co-opted as a parent volunteer for the trip, started out the day with a group of 8 children but by mid-day had about 40 plus a couple of the teachers and other parent volunteers with me.

Quite a good day out

Never repeated though because a lot of parents compained about their kids going to the IWM after the trip - even though the dipsh*ts had signed all the permission slips which clearly stated the destination!! :dunno:

Some years ago (8 actually), my Daughter was doing WW1 in History at School. When they got to the Somme Battles, she asked about the Pals battalions as I had told her about them and the impact they had in events. The Teacher had never heard of Pals battalions.

Also, in WW1, anti-Jewish semitism was in the British Army. You could join the Army under another name to avoid a Jewish name. If you look at the Menin Gate, there are names with alternatives.

Ref the Pals batt's as mentioned in woa2's reply, there were the Football Pals, 17th (service) Battalion, (1st Football),The Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regt.

In this Battalion, served a guy by the name of Walter Tull; a quite remarkable man, amoungst other's of the same,.........difference was, he was of Black skin.

Anyone interested in this guy,......and its well worth looking into, there is an article in Oct's Britain At War mag.

Or,

http://www.100greatblackbritains.com/bios/walter_tull.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ntfc/tull2.htm

I'm visiting a junior school on Wednesday with a GMC and Jeep to educate the kids about WWII they are doing a topic on WWII so we've been asked to attend. Anyone fancy a trip to the Midlands your more than welcome :-D

Sorry but I'm out of the country on Wednesday (Holiday in Normandy). If anyone else is doing anything similar in the future, I would be very happy to come along.

Robert Davey

I'm visiting a junior school on Wednesday with a GMC and Jeep to educate the kids about WWII they are doing a topic on WWII so we've been asked to attend. Anyone fancy a trip to the Midlands your more than welcome :-D

If its anything like the day I had at a local primary school it should be a really enjoyable and rewarding day for you, I was only asked to take the vehicles to the school for an hour in the morning,ended up being there all day and gave a talk to the kids in the afternoon, Brilliant.