Professions/trades in profile

Tunnel_Rat

Have the same trouble with ferret bones (and ariels), and some of the C.E.S. kit is almost indigestible :evil:

Keep out of mischief taking a heavily-modified Bedford MJR with drill rig into places a Bedford was never meant to go, looking for sand and gravel deposits and other strange stuff. Incredibly tough little trucks...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep out of mischief taking a heavily-modified Bedford MJR with drill rig into places a Bedford was never meant to go, looking for sand and gravel deposits and other strange stuff. Incredibly tough little trucks...

Would that have been an ex-army MJR drilling rig? Used to work on a few from RE Bomb Disposal, they had the 500 engine fitted, and needed it with all the equipment on it.

It was a civilian MJR ex Thames Water slurry tanker.

Installed a Cummins 6B and 5 speed box, tipping cab from a TL and widespread 425x20 tyres. Hydraulic rig is powered off transfer box pto.

Cab now rough again, managed to get last-but-one M.O.D. conversion TL cab from Leavesly - problem is finding time to install it, as I now have a house extension to build for some family with a GMC and KrAz225b.....

I have just been taken into employment with Wrexham council as a bushcraft instructor in the outdoor education department,

Nice one, mate. seem to remember you going on a course, a while ago.

Good on Wrexham C.C as well, for encouraging folks to learn these skill's. :-)

electrician by trade been self employed ever since leaving school 26 years ago ,not fried myself yet so I must get most things right,if anyone does organise a fortification trip to Jersey count me in I think I have been to most accessible sights but I could be wrong.

Nigel

Not a bad idea. We could ask CIOS and get a guide. BMI are the best airline. I belive Richard Le Brocq has another show in mind. that would be the best idea. Travel costs to the Rock are ^^7£££ :banghead: To quote the ONLY ferry company Condor in the Jersey Evening Post latley 'The company charges what the market will stand' ie We are the only ones tough.

There are a lot of good reasonable hotels and guest houses on the Island. Camping is only allowed at registered sites. Car hire is not expensive.

http://thisisjersey.com/

In the past.......

Aircraft Engineer ( light aircraft maintenance )

Fibre Glass Laminator

Model Maker for the M.O.D. ( mainly warship & military vehicle prototypes )

Sales Assistant ( model shop :-D )

3D Art & Design Technician at a college

Kitchen/Bedroom Designer

Artist

Currently......

self employed estate agent

Steve

40 years in vehicle engineering this year.

First seven years.............Started of as an apprentice at an Agricultural Engineers, got my Agricultural Engineering Technician certificate.

In 1974 , my employer closed the depot, so went to work at a REME Command Workshop as a vehicle fitter, later fitter/chargehand, stayed there for 22 years, when it closed.

Started my own business doing restoration and repair work of military vehicles for collectors, museums, etc, in the following week from leaving REME and have been doing so for last 11 years now.

Hi Mick, nice to meet a fellow sufferer. Oh you know the fun of some idiot getting to close and trying to overtake when you leave the stop? Especially when you know where the traffic islands are :evil: Not managed it yet but had a few close.

left school went to work in a Transport Museum for many happy years;

left there to become a self employed coach painter, painting buses, coaches, lorries and the odd steam engine, and too many canal boats!

Now I am the manager for a small coach company in Leeds, but still don't seem to be able to keep my hands clean!

Anyone needs painting advice, I know I'm new, but ask away, I'll help if I can.

Well what a cross match of occupations we have here

Mr T20 & myself run our own business cutabove Flooring Ltd, supply & fitting vinyl & carpet flooring and yes a few vehicles,caravan and lorries have been carpeted in the past, I work fulltime for a marine wholesaler as well in customer services :adminpwr:. Mr T20 loves to get his hands dirty and play with his tractors and staionary engines and helps Mr HF if help is required. :whistle:

good to know what people do in life :dunno:as well as hobbies

Mrs T20

wel tony your not the only one on here as i am now a coach driver so see everything in uk and over the water :whistle:

the best bit is when someone comes off a ferry for the first time and try to go the wrong way at roundabouts :evil: :evil: :evil:

previously

hotel staff

security

mod

fairground

left school went to work in a Transport Museum for many happy years;

left there to become a self employed coach painter, painting buses, coaches, lorries and the odd steam engine, and too many canal boats!

Now I am the manager for a small coach company in Leeds, but still don't seem to be able to keep my hands clean!

Anyone needs painting advice, I know I'm new, but ask away, I'll help if I can.

Bloody hell Mate!! Talk about hostage to fortune. You'll get your own slot. First question. Hoe's the best wat to get 20 plus layers of paint of a 101 ambulance?

Tony

If it's on aluminium I doubt you'll be able to use heat, as it will warp the panels. You can't get it blasted, as it'll mark the panels as well, I'm afraid it's paint stripper, and plenty of it.

Please don't go to B&Q, find a good decorators merchant, bulk is usually cheaper, say a 5 litre tin.

I first get as much loose paint of as possible with a stiff wire brush and a scraper, but go carefully otherwise you'll scratch the panel, unless the paint really is thick.

Then with the scraper, criss cross the panel you want to strip, taking care not to go to deep and damage the metal work, then liberally apply your stripper using an old brush, leave until it blisters then scrape off the layer, keep going till you reach bare metal, or until your arm drops off. ;-)

If you get down to the bare metal, take the last remnants off using wire wool and stripper, wear gloves as stripper does tend to sting a bit, and good ventilation should observed as well, unless you want a good excuse not to finish the job , and spend some time in hospital instead.

If you are decided you want to remove all the paint, then stripper is really the only way, don't be tempted to dry sand it, as it can leave mapping marks on the panel, which you'll only notice when you come to repaint.

Landrovers should be easy, as long as you do a section at a time, you shouldn't get overfaced with it, that said, I don't envy you. :-)

Thanks Simon. I was hoping there was another way. The 101 Ambulance is a 9 foot by 14 foot by 7 foot brick. Large areas. :shake: It has also been subject to the Army broom and bucket paint routine. She served in Germany , First Gulf and Bosnia, last painted 1999 by hand so looking a bit tierd. One reason for stripping is at 8/9 mile to the gallon every pound helps. :-(

last landrover I painted, I took all the removable panels off, i.e. wings doors, bonnet etc, and stripped them on a bench, which was easier on the old back. Also, as the work was in small chunks, I felt I was getting somewhere as the pile of completed sections slowly built up.

You'll probably find that if she is badly painted, then they'll have been little or no rubbing down between coats, which is good news, as the paint is unlikely to have stuck that well, also, you'll find that some areas are worse than others, particularly flat areas where the paint will have literally been ladled on, but other areas such as body sides should have less paint, as it would have run everywhere if painted too thickly.

That said, it is a bit of a of a pain, but just think of the warm feeling you'll get when its' finished, or perhaps that'll just be the after effects of the stripper on your hands etc !? :dunno:

Hey Tony,

take it along to Beltring and have a paint stripping party.

Option 1: Just drive it into one of the tents one evening, supply the beer and HMVF do the rest.

Option 2: Paint stripping competition. Joe public gets timed to strip 1 sqaure foot, £1 to enter, £50 for the fastest time....I reckon you would make about £250 which should easily cover the cost of the paint stripper.