Mk1 Militant Tanker

I went to see the same Milli with the hiab as you did at the beginning of this story, I too rejected it due to the incorrect engine and it's terrible condition. I was offered another complete mk1 with a crane on the back as a donor for the engine. It was a scrapper but apparently had a good engine. I couldn't justify getting two transported back and the amount of work required. But now I'm racking my brains trying to recall if the tanker was there or not. I recall all of the other goodies lurking in the barns. I now have a Foden project but I would love to know if any of the other vehicles have been saved and restored?

Excellent restoration too, hopefully we will see it out at shows when they happen.

Just been looking at your Civilian Militant thread, and noticed that it had been based in Edinburgh during 1970 with the TAVR.

If that is the case would it also have belonged to a unit of the Lowland Division as your tanker did?  If it was an Edinburgh based Artillery unit it could have been. 

Would be an interesting coincidence.

Dave.

• Sorry if I am using the incorrect terminology. I was only quoting the information in the original post. See below.  
  •  
  • Military registration number 01BP60. She served with the Royal Artillery and spent some of her time at Napier Barracks, Dortmund before joining the TAVR at Edinburgh on 2 June 1970. I found a copy of the movement order/Route card for the journey stuffed in the bottom of the passengers door pocket, along with an empty packet of Woodbines.

Dave.

Edited by David I

On 1/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Motleyholt said:

I went to see the same Milli with the hiab as you did at the beginning of this story, I too rejected it due to the incorrect engine and it's terrible condition. I was offered another complete mk1 with a crane on the back as a donor for the engine. It was a scrapper but apparently had a good engine. I couldn't justify getting two transported back and the amount of work required. But now I'm racking my brains trying to recall if the tanker was there or not. I recall all of the other goodies lurking in the barns. I now have a Foden project but I would love to know if any of the other vehicles have been saved and restored?

Excellent restoration too, hopefully we will see it out at shows when they happen.

Yes, it was in a bit of a state and he was asking  £3500 for it!  Initially I was hoping it would donate decent tyres to my other Militant, then I would sell on the rest.  But there wasn't much original Militant left on it at all.  Even the HIAB wasn't original, Atlas cranes were fitted to Militants  

As for the other stuff, I was back up there snooping around just before christmas and it looked just the same as the day we collected the Tanker, 4 years ago.  Nothing seems to have moved at all.  I am told the old guy who owns it (Brian Hawkins) is 93 years old and still works everyday.  Started the business in 1954.   He likes to give the impression he is a bit of a doddery old git,  but don't be fooled, as soon as you start talking money, he is as sharp as a fresh stanley blade.

Apparently his son, who controls the main business of crane hire, doesn't share the same ideas as his father, and as soon as Brian finally chucks in the towel he will phone the local scrap man and just clear the lot.  This will be a shame as there is a lot of highly collectable items in there, even if they only fit for spares. 

22 hours ago, David I said:

Just been looking at your Civilian Militant thread, and noticed that it had been based in Edinburgh during 1970 with the TAVR.

If that is the case would it also have belonged to a unit of the Lowland Division as your tanker did?  If it was an Edinburgh based Artillery unit it could have been. 

Would be an interesting coincidence.

Dave.

I can't shed any more light on your question, I'm not that up on Scottish Regimental history, but they do have some very interesting unit titles.  The movement order we found, just shows the destination to be Edinburgh, no specific unit is mentioned.  The B Vehicle record card shows 102 Regiment RA (V).  Wikipedia shows this as 102 (Ulster and Scottish) Light Air Defence Regiment, formed in 1967 and equipped with Javelin surface to air missiles. As for which higher authority they reported to, Brigade, Division etc, I've no idea, but somebody on here will know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Motleyholt said:

Just out of interest will you need an ADR licence and haz chem markings?  Are there exemptions for classics? On a modern tanker you can drive it without an ADR as long as the tanks are professionally cleaned and you have a certificate to prove it. 

As I understand it the same rule applies to historic tankers too.  Fortunately, my Son Stuart has a contact at a local tanker company and they can do a flush out and provide the necessary certification.

Plan is, as soon as we are ready and lockdown permits, we will take a run down there and get done.  If necessary our Stu can drive, he had to get ADR trained for his job as a Scania technician, having been pulled over at the Dartford tunnel one day

As an ADR driver of many years, when I took the original exams the last thing the teacher said before he put out the papers-( READ the questions) very forcefully. That part of the quote has stayed with me, the colourfull bits have been lost in the mist of time. 

• Like 1

Not much progress this weekend, another cold, wet one. How come it's half decent during the week when you have to be at work, but as soon as Saturday arrives it goes to rats?  Still it's the time of year I suppose.

Anyway got the straps made for holding various bits of kit in the cab, and managed to get them fitted in between the rain today.

1669609346_StrapsRivetSide.thumb.jpg.7ba7b037eb9b707d6aacf17b4b5aef37.jpg

Old straps were well past it.  But the buckles cleaned up well, and a pair of 37 pattern webbing shoulder straps provided replacement webbing.  Seen here measuring one of the new straps. 

20210131_105302.thumb.jpg.2c7e1b7e5a44d6795cb11fd88a1e6d0b.jpg

Crowbar goes behind the drivers seat

20210131_110751.thumb.jpg.e20e45610f49869672955f285ce73e9b.jpg

And Pick Axe behind the passengers.

• Like 1

Rob,

I am curious about the crow bar.  I thought that I used to keep the jack handle in the position that you are using for the crow bar.  Was the crow bar part of the CES?  Perhaps it was,  in order to lift any big inspection plates on the ground iot access pipeline connections.

I can't wait to see the vehicle in the flesh!

John

Quite agree, I know from my time in the R.E. alsorts of unofficial modifications and additions were made to vehicles and plant to make things better or easier.

I was certain I had read about a crowbar somewhere, but I wanted to check before commiting myself, and starting an argument.

Parts list for the Tanker shows it as Crowbar Stowage Bracket. Spare part No. M209/53/L68 Makes me wonder if it was a Tanker specific item.

It also has a stowage case for a machete in front of the passengers door, and a tray for the operators handbook. My other Militant hasn't got either of these, so again maybe Tanker only

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 7:20 PM, Gordon_M said:

Over both back axles, standard stuff

So what other vehicles use them, overall chains need a fixed distance between axles and wheels must be kept in line?  Pioneers, Explorers, Martians, Sentinels and dedicated off road plant are the only possibilities I can think of.