Mk1 Militant Tanker

22 hours ago, 67burwood said:

The canvas looks very good, I’ve read quite a few recommendations for RCH canvas, I’ll be getting in touch with them shortly to have a cupola cover made and seat cushions for the wot6 

Completely forgot about the cupola cover, these are bread and butter stuff for RCH, they finished this one for the Tanker ages ago.

20210920_194853.thumb.jpg.cfee3c797b21d370de5041cd1763c63a.jpg

Quality job, fits perfectly, but I am keeping the plastic lid on while she is parked up and saving the canvas one so it looks crisp and new when we are at shows.

I should also mention their prices are well affordable, can't recommend them enough

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Few days off work last week, so took another step nearer getting the old girl back together.  Now the canvas cover keeps most of the rain out of the pump room ( still get a bit in round the doors)  I managed to get the floor repairs finished and a coat of silver on top

850473067_1437PumpRoomOffSide.thumb.jpg.c0b64adc53f812381c62f54bd2f1da88.jpg

Next move start putting the gubbins back in.  It's all cleaned and painted, with fresh gaskets made, fresh bolts where required and the others cleaned and threads chased, should go easy.

There were a couple of hurdles but in the main it did go well too.  First problem, the main pump is far too heavy to lift in by yourself, so crane required

20211008_131204.thumb.jpg.ef5bf254ced9817ebcc8d48f5c0eaf6f.jpg

20211008_140249.thumb.jpg.2c11fd4953ac94c25de6add403127d7d.jpg

Straight in without scratching the new paint.  Small issue, there is a woodruff key/wedge thing that locks the drive gear on.  It is in a place of safety and security so it doesn't get lost, I just can't remember where that place is.  And without it I can't fit the chain cover.

20211009_112340.thumb.jpg.381dd55c10ad484d63be4fa6a5d77356.jpg

Can fit the rest of the pipework.  Needed a bit of juggling here and there to get bolts to line up, but in the end it went OK.

20211009_173448.thumb.jpg.88799007655882e37cdd3cc11c19cf7d.jpg

Few small details to finish off like the hand throttle, and adjusting the cables that work the tank foot valves, but otherwise all in and looking quite the business.

Went for a local run out on Sunday, to the Kent Heritage Transport Show at Detling.

110732963_AtDetling.thumb.jpg.ef9a14b33c24485ad6921dc471ced259.jpg

Lost count of the number of fuel tanker jokes we heard, during the day, but everybody seemed impressed with it.  Had a very nice chat with a geezer who reckoned to have driven these with 17 Sqn RCT back in the 1960's.  He was well pleased to have a look round it.

Day out in Hastings next Sunday on the Sprat & Winkle Run.  More photos to come

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

It is in a place of safety and security so it doesn't get lost, I just can't remember where that place is. 

We’ve all got those safe and secure places 😂 I am still looking for some Fordson parts.

Also saw your truck on FB with lots of admirers comments. 

Out again today.  Sprat and Winkle run, Sevenoaks to Hastings.  Nice gentle end of season run through the Kent countryside, finish on the seafront at Hastings, with a fish and chip lunch on the beach.  Seen here in the line up with 2 Matadors that have had a second career in civilian life.

20211017_133753.thumb.jpg.88dd228391cbcdda00ed094a6a2bbaa7.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Dear Sir.

Enjoying reading about your Militant renovation, I am making a KFS 1/24TH scale Milly, the instructions for the rear brake adjusters are rather vague, I was hoping that you might have had a photo/s of the rear of the rear hubs to show where the brake adjusters are positioned a the instructions don't show them in place, is it possible you might have a photo of the adjusters from behind to show me where they are positioned.

Regards 

Dizzy-T 

• 1 month later...

RE Smith was a military author - he wrote "British Army Vehicles & Equipment" around 1968.  The book is available on Amazon.  The photos are not in the book. However, as part of his 'research' he attended various military shows and was given access to various military installations.  I think these photos may have been taken at CVD Marchington around August 1962 as part of one of these visits.  I acquired various photos from him during his life and from his family after his death.

Also it was seen by a colleague as part of a convoy of 251 Squadron tankers (8 or 9) in July 1972 on the motorway.  I also saw it at CVD Ashchurch during an Open Day in June 1972. 

I have data copied from the official register that it was "struck off to the Army Air Corps Ref DSM(A) 248/39/3SMF2 24 June 1983" (I think, it was difficult to read).

It would be good to know if these dates fit with the history you have.

I was at Aldershot Army Show in June 1974 when 65 BN 21 was displayed - unfortunately I photographe the RL Tanker they were displaying and missed the opportunity to photograph 65 BN 21 although I know Phil Moth has a photo of that occasion.

I am currently researching the AEC O859/O860 and was looking for information on the original issues of O859 Tankers - before the days of 9 Coy RASC/9 Fuel Squadron and 251 Squadron RCT.

1 hour ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

Epic, speechless. Where did you find these? They must've been taken early in her career, still got semophore indicators, and small mirrors

Hi Rob,

Your mention of mirrors reminded me that we were doing an  official modification in the late 70's using mirror arms from Bedford RL to the AEC Mk1 Militants. Your tanker looks to have these arms.

Can't help with the 1962 location, record card only starts 26 Sep 68 with issue to The School of Transport.  Was there for a year then onto 251/255 Sqn 17 Oct 69 via CVD Hilton.  Stayed at 255 until June 77 when it moved to The Army School of Mechanical Transport.

As mentioned, her last posting was with the Army Air Corps Issued 29 May 1984. And the last entry on the card for disposal is dated 24 June 1986

Small update, as not a lot happened recently, time of year and all that, and been busy with a couple of other projects on the side.

208894682_1444ATankValveLevers.thumb.jpg.57b99b11cf8f288c9a06e20c0379143b.jpg

These levers in the pump control room operate the outlet valves on each tank via a bowden cable.  Tanks 1 & 2 were fine but 3,4 & 5 had damaged cables.  After much combing of the 'net I found a motorcycle parts manufacturer who could supply the correct size wire to fit the existing outer sheaths.

Next was a fight to the death to remove the old damaged wires before fitting the new, but we managed.  Each tank has a drain tap, and these were refurbished a while back and were just awaiting fitting.

2140569641_1457No5TankValveandCable.thumb.jpg.c4f89f51d26f31868ab0ad9bb6157430.jpg

This is No.5 tank with it's new cable and drain tap fitted.  Access here is easy!!

20220122_123053.thumb.jpg.8c75b0aeecb0d6de9a4a86892045fcf3.jpg

Tanks 3 & 2 are a different story tucked up under the centre, and behind the rear wheels. Not a comfortable position to work in, but better than tank No.1 

20220122_123113.thumb.jpg.057ce0d5535464cc1d0561fbc0a7d2fc.jpg

Which is right down the front, behind the jerry can holders, and over the top of the air tanks.  Horrible job, but all done in the end, I've just got to climb back in there to touch up the paint at some point.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Thanks Tim.  It was a great day out.  Nice drive down and parked on Madeira Drive in the sun shine.  Chuffed to bits to come away with the two pots.  First in class and the Charles Banfield Challenge Cup. 

Next outing is the AEC Rally at Newark 28-29 May.  Good road test that is, 6 hour drive to get there.  Can't wait.

With Pots.jpg

• Like 8

Well done Rob! Nice to get appreciation like this for your efforts. I saw your tanker at Woodchurch last year and very impressed. When I first worked on Militants over 40 years ago, I had deep appreciation for them, lovely old wagons and an experience to drive them!.

Good luck at the AEC Rally ...... you might be lucky there as well

regards, Richard

• 3 weeks later...