Bedford MW diff light and tail wiring.

Jim S

Hello all.

I am rewiring an aeroscreen Bedford MWD.

The wiring diagram shows the Stop, Tail and Diff light wiring with a JB and a switch to switch between diff and stop/tail lights. Does anybody have details of where these two components were located? A photo would help.

I want to leave enough spare wires in the right place so that they, on presumably a bracket on the chassis somewhere, can be fitted in the future if we can find the bits.

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Thanks all for the info.

Had a look at the MWD today and there is no signs of fixing or grommet holes in that area of the chassis. So wonder if there never was a jb and switch or it was located elsewhere on this one.

It is a 1940 aeroscreen vehicle.

Jim.

Thanks all for the info.

Had a look at the MWD today and there is no signs of fixing or grommet holes in that area of the chassis. So wonder if there never was a jb and switch or it was located elsewhere on this one.

It is a 1940 aeroscreen vehicle.

Jim.

Jim,

According to the wiring diagram for a 1940 MW, there was not a convoy/axle lamp fitted, but it did have one tail lamp and one stop lamp. Harness ran down inside of offside chassis rail and there was a junction box at the back, maybe on the main chassis rail?

Thank you Richard and Danny for that info.

As this one still had the diff/convoy lamp still fitted on a bracket, I wonder if, after Richard's reply, whether it was an MOD retro fit. Then the JB and switch (if fitted) could possibly have been wherever the fitter could get his drill easily??

Perhaps it would be fitting to attach the components as shown in fig.3 previously posted above?

Now for another query concerning the sidelight cable routing under the front wings. As there are no grommet holes in the chassis to route the sidelight harness through to the clips in the wing support, did it just 'dangle' out under the chassis on its way from JB to sidelight?

Regards Jim.

I think the sidelight cables run from the front junction block drivers side up along the top of the radiator front panel held in place by tangs similar to those found on the front wing bckts, then down held by P clips along the top of the chassis until it reaches the wing support brckt, as I start to fit my wiring loom in the coming weeks I'll post pics in my resto blog, as regards the rear axle lamp various manuals the wiring diagrams I have show the early type loom and later version also as Richard mentions you can see the changes via the spares manual.

My diff had traces of white paint that would suggest that it had a mod done later in its military career and had the light and switch fitted., though I will not be fitting a diff light as I want to restore my vehicle as it left the factory as my truck is so early.

RR.

Thank you Richard and Danny for that info.

As this one still had the diff/convoy lamp still fitted on a bracket, I wonder if, after Richard's reply, whether it was an MOD retro fit. Then the JB and switch (if fitted) could possibly have been wherever the fitter could get his drill easily??

Perhaps it would be fitting to attach the components as shown in fig.3 previously posted above?

Now for another query concerning the sidelight cable routing under the front wings. As there are no grommet holes in the chassis to route the sidelight harness through to the clips in the wing support, did it just 'dangle' out under the chassis on its way from JB to sidelight?

Regards Jim.

Found some pictures on the internet of, what I believe, Maurice his bedford.

The (lucas) diff light (as a field modification) could be mounted with the tow tube tie bolt on the rear cross member as presented on the left picture; if you look closely to the other picture you can just see the switch at the bottom of the rear beam, on the left side of the pass sign.

tail lamps.jpg

Danny

diff light.jpg