Serious question for you.......some R&D.

Jack

Ok chaps.

Serious question for you.......

I am just doing some R&D and would like to know what bit of kit you need when you are out at show or camping but you have never been able to find. What piece of kit would make your life easier or would make it more enjoyable for the family....here are just a few suggestions;

A portable shower?

Something decent in the kitchen area of your tent?

Decent lighting?

Portable kitchen/stoves?

Etc etc.

Just anything that you have thought would make your life easier.

Many thanks

Jack.

i set a 12v shower up in my tent, they come with a small pump, a controlable shower head, on off switch, 12v connecter to a cig lighter socket & a pouch for normal batteries.

you fill a bucket up with warm water & dunk the pump. they are fab & it has revolutionised camping.

mine fits into a small A4 size bag so not too bulky. ( you can also set them up between 2 trucks.

gas ovens are great and our camping diet has changed dramatically.

gas fridges, well , it made such a difference being able to keep the beer cold ( and the odd pint of milk). i have recouped the initial outlay cost by not having to throw away any unused food every weekend,being kept in a fridge i can just transfer it into the house fridge where as keeping it in a cool box was ok but by a sunday it was getting warm ( even tried freezing food)

12v flourescent lights, how easy are these, the battery lasts a lot longer than the usual c's or d's & you can light up much more safely during the night than you can with a gas lamp, no more gas to buy, no more mantles to replace, just charge up a car battery once a year.

i used 1 car battery for my dvd player. 2 12v tubes & my shower & have just recharged it ready for the start of the show season.

all of these things are great & it doeas help having a jimmy although it did all fit in the back of the bedford with the 12 x 12.

go for all of them, a few comforts & i can't pick which one has made the most difference as now i deem them all neccessary.

from a wuss

Berni

portable shower would be good... that W&P dust gets everywhere :whistle:

They are available but tend to be bulky & overengineered

Not if you get a Solar Shower.. can't get any simpler than that.. about 10 quid at W&P, about a fiver on ebay Click me! :-D

Well, as a single guy,.........I guess I'd say, in all seriousness, having an interested lass to share the highs and lows with.

I mean, if the companys great, a certain amount of 'roughing it', pales into insignificence,.....does'nt it.??

If thats NOT the 'right' answer, I guess its the ONE bit of kit thats been left behind............ :whistle:

I love the whole roughing it thing, with regards to the options you posted Jack. Lighting, more atmospheric with less, plus I'm sure many will agree we all look better in the dark :-D, cooking wise, nothing befits camping more than a good old BBQ, or beans on a gas ring (one has to think of the washing up after all).

However, as mentioned by Berni and Bodge, showers (especially at W&P) would be a huge boon, I like the idea of a solar shower, but youve still got to have somewhere to rig it, not so convenient for the one vehicle/one tent brigade, unless you don't mind running the risk of being caught out for indecent exposure.

I'm sure there is scope for the companies that hire out the "turdis's" to invent a solar shower cubical as an extra, using the same injection moulded construction. :dunno:

width=480 height=336http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/tuggerdavis/RWMGplasticshower220507.jpg[/img]

I take a couple of solar showers. I got a cheap utility/loo tent for using them in. It's not really tall enough but after a day of dust it's great to have a shower. Those solar jobs can get real hot. You could make a shower cubicle easy enough. Just a few poles and a tarp.

If you're posh though, have one of these

Ok chaps.

Serious question for you.......

I am just doing some R&D and would like to know what bit of kit you need when you are out at show or camping but you have never been able to find. What piece of kit would make your life easier or would make it more enjoyable for the family....here are just a few suggestions;

A portable shower?

Something decent in the kitchen area of your tent?

Decent lighting?

Portable kitchen/stoves?

Etc etc.

Just anything that you have thought would make your life easier.

Many thanks

Jack.

No.1 Take your own bog.

I don't even own a tent. This will be remedied in the weeks ahead. I am camping at Beltring this year and will be winging it to say the least. I'll be in the showers queue like the rest of the hordes. What a way to meet people!

My wants list for bits and bobs is endless. But the shed is not the tardis.

No.1 Take your own bog.

The bogs have improved over the last couple of years. Although I'ts not the bogs themselves but the filthy gits that use them and feel it necesary to smear crap everywhere and destroy the things. :argh:

I've just booked our group's cubicle toilets. £60 each for 7 days including one free pump out, £20 delivery, £20 collection +VAT. Well worth it if you've a group of people.

They also offer 230V power shower cubicles if you've got a generator!

Hmmmm...

Lighting, bogs, showers, cooking...... Beginning to think I should forget the tent and take the caravan with me!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(and NO Lee - I'm not risking death - or worse :schocked: - from the missus by painting her pride and joy green and black or stone and black!!!) :evil:

No.2 Take a padlock, for your own bog.

There is nothing worse, than finding someone else has been filling it, while you've gone walkabout >:(

I didn't actually mean a blue thunderbox, I meant a 'Portapotti' device. It can be tucked away in the corner of a tent or vehicle for one to one use as the need arises. Even a blue box requires going out into the cold night air with all the hazards that Richard describes. When refurbishing the pig I increased the seat height by 1/2 inch to accomodate such a device.

• 1 month later...

If you look in the Argos catalogue, they sell a 'flower shower' in the gardening section. Basically a gallon container that you can pressurise by pumping it up. It's got a shower head already attached.

You boil the kettle, pour the water into the drum, add cold to suit, give it couple of pumps and you're away!

No maintenance, no power needed. Loverly!

Get yourself a cheap loo tent to set it up in (they also sell these, £19.99 I think).

I think it's intended for watering your Geraniums but does the job perfectly. Of course, you have to put up with 'pumping in the shower' type jokes (don't understand them myself :whistle:) :-D

It's item ref: 720/3006 I think in their on-line catalogue

• 3 weeks later...

If you look in the Argos catalogue, they sell a 'flower shower' in the gardening section. Basically a gallon container that you can pressurise by pumping it up. It's got a shower head already attached.

You boil the kettle, pour the water into the drum, add cold to suit, give it couple of pumps and you're away!

No maintenance, no power needed. Loverly!

Get yourself a cheap loo tent to set it up in (they also sell these, £19.99 I think).

I think it's intended for watering your Geraniums but does the job perfectly. Of course, you have to put up with 'pumping in the shower' type jokes (don't understand them myself :whistle:) :-D

It's item ref: 720/3006 I think in their on-line catalogue

We shall be trying this, this year. thanks for the top suggestion, I let you know how we get on, on the proviso we don't get knicked for indecent exposure :-D