Essex Armour & Softskins 2nd Annual Show Report "The Bunker Bash"

FV601 (R.I.P.)

Having just got back in from what can only be described as an Excellent show, I thought I had better get fingers to keyboard before my memory fails.

We had been anxious the preceeding week as we prepared for the upcoming weekend as the weather report was not going to be in our favour but being the diehards we are we carried on.

Well we were not let down in any way whatsoever as the weather could not have been any better for the entire weekend.

Friday saw the arrival of both stallholders and MV's from around 10.00 am and it just got better from then on. Vehicles were arriving then steadilly up until around 10.30 pm and their owners availed themselves of the refreshments on offer ;-) settling down at a reasonable time to ready themselves for the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning rolled round and the work then begun in earnest with more vehicles arriving throughout the morning both before the public arrived and after. In all we had approximately 104 MV's on display with the mix being both WW2 and Post war so the public had a great variety to drool over with an excellent display of "Pinkies" proving to be very popular indeed.

The work done by Lee in the main on the preparation of the trench system for the German and Croation re-enactors was excellent and the bare bones trench we handed over to the Vickers Machine Gun Society was transformed by their hard work into an amazing representation of a WW1 trench.

For those of you who attended last years show you will remember the appalling weather we had to endure, not so this year, it was really good with just the right amount of wind to keep one comfortable.

Arena events were the highlight of the show for the public with the whole thing being kicked off by the Garrison Living History team and their firepower demonstration of the 25 pounder field gun, a real crowd pleaser involving both the adults and children there.

Next followed a Vehicle parade with over 20 vehicles running round the arena, this in itself gave me a headache as I was commentating the whole affair (note to self, brush up on vehicle history for next year) and at times was stuck for what to say but we managed to get a few laughs as well as keep the public's interest throughout.

We followed this up with a "Fire and Effect" display with 4 different types of weapon. First to show was the Bazooka with and extremely effective hit on some oil drums resulting in one drum being stacked on top of another (we didnt plan it that way honestly). Then came the Rarden in Lee's Fox with once again a great end effect, the Mobat was fired next with a audible gasp from the crowd as they saw just how much of the blast came from the rear of the gun. Finally the Saladin main gun was fired with another great end effect which drew applause from the public.

Another short vehicle parade was on next as time was drawing on which saw around 25 vehicles in the arena running round much to the publics delight.

The final display of the day went once again to the Garrison group and their 25 pounder.

When we eventually sat down on the Saturday evening we all agreed what a good day it had been and then prepared ourselves for the Sunday.

Sunday started much the same as Saturday with even more vehicles arriving from even further away places in particular the Diamond T and the Martian that came all the way from Suffolk and the public queueing to get in before opening time.

Arena events were similar to the Saturday with the exception that we had the "Achilles" in the arena for both the "fire and effect" displays and the vehicle parade.

And what a vehicle parade, we had 32 vehicles in the arena at one time ranging from Jeeps and Dodges through to 432's and a M1113 APC, Ferrets Saracen, Stalwart, Fox and Saladin with a short talk being given by each owner about their vehicle. The public were more than entertained.

Final display of the day went once again to the 25 pounder with the only calamity being the generator powering the PA system deciding to run out of petrol during their commentary.

Comments made to me from the public as I was in the arena were really favourable and expressed their enjoyment of the spectacle we had provided for them, so hopefully we are on the right track.

I would like to thank on behalf of Essex Armour and Softskins MV Group all of the MV owners and re-enactors who attended as without your participation the show would not have been the success it has proved to be. We as organisers can only provide the venue and setup, it is your passion for your vehicles and pastime that make it all worthwhile.

Special thanks go to the Aveley MV Group for their assistance throughout the weekend as always, well done again you guys.

Additional thanks go to the North London Barmy Army and Medway Military Vehicle Group for their continued support both last year and this.

It was good to see many Forum members in attendance with some great pictures taken by both Snapper and John Blackman, Also good to meet Kyle ( bring your marigolds next time mate as you are on washup duty permanantly :whistle:) David was good to see you again, Brian, hope we didnt put you off your upcoming purchase ;-), Karl , shame you could only do the Saturday mate and the many others who made themselves known to us.

Thanks again to you all for making this weekend a great success and please forgive me if I have forgotten anyone.

See you all again next year same time, same place :-D

PICTURES TO FOLLOW

I thouroughly enjoyed it, and many thanks to all you guys that put in the effort to organise and Marshal it, as without you we would have no where to go play and relax!!!

O and I was there both days, its just I was in the Bunker when you did your vehicle parade today as I wasnt going to go all that way and not have a look.....

(I have only one neg comment that I will share with you by pm as a thought for next year, tho I am sure you are already aware!!).......

Damn good show, congrats to all involved

No you didn't put us off, in fact even Julie wants to drive a Ferret (although she had trouble finding the A12 on the way home)

look forward to the next one, hopefully exhibiting

nice to meet you, John - and Lee

Best wishes

Permission granted Mon Capitan :-D On the proviso that you attempt to make it to next years bash ;-)

Many thanks John.

I will put something together for the front page.......... :computerterror:

My gang of four had a good day on Saturday. Thanks to Karl for the kit sale and all the info for future use. Great to meet up with the Johns, Lee, Neil, the Ians and the Daves from this forum. Sorry if I missed anyone else. I'll try to redress the issue during the rest of the season.

To be honest, I did take a few pix and I will post some up, but I didn't make much effort. The worst snap I took was of my own motor. Did anyone get a decent one???

I think the event has enormous potential. Spread the word - the site is enormous and very pretty in places. The turnout was great - plenty to look at. Re-enactors - come and see what you're missing. Loads of room for trenches and all kinds of stuff. There is no reason why Kelvedon could not become an essential event in the calendar. It is for me already... Many thanks to everyone at Essex Armour and all the other helpers.

I paid a quick visit on Sunday. Got some pictures which seem to be the same as everyone elses. Here's a few to look at.

Bunker3.jpg

Trench1.jpg

Cook.jpg

Jimmy.jpg

Gun.jpg

Pair.jpg

Volvo.jpg

Had a look around the bunker which was worth a visit and would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't for the shouty kid in there :argh:

Didn't spot any HMVF shirts. Next time maybe.

Lunch

More pictures here

Edited by Marmite!!