432 Mk 1 07EA33 with Peake Turret

They run a B81 don't they? My B80 was behaving badly at idle and only running with the choke on or revs above 800 or so; turned out that a barb had broken off of the vacuum tank and there was a significant leak as a result. A bolt in the end of the hose and a hose clamp later, it's running like a new one :D

They can also be pretty sensitive to fouled plugs and, if you haven't already, invest in a Jolley Engineering electronic breaker set.

Cheers,

Terry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cause of problems with B series engines is that the diaphrams in the carbs can split resulting in a vacuum leak and the valve it works not doing anything. Replacement diaphrams are quite easy to find and fairly cheap so almost worth changing anyway.

I have found that the official static ignition timing is much more retarded than is necessary for modern petrol and that you can run about 6 degrees in advance of the book setting without any 'pinking' (pre-ignition). It will then run much better, cleaner and with less fuel consumption (but get the carbs sorted first). I think that you will find that once you start to drive the 432 there will be no problem with plugs fouling as the engine works quite hard and will burn off any deposits itself.

I agree about the electronic ignition conversion. On a B40 or B60 the contact breakers cope reasionably well but with an eight cylinder engine they are expected to do a lot and need disproportionately more attention. As access is not ideal with the Fv432 I would seriously consider going electronic. Dont forget that you can run the pack outside the vehicle just by setting it down in front of the vehicle and reconnecting all the cables and pipes. If you have over advanced the ignition you will hear it pinking when you blip the throttle so just back it off a degree at a time untill the pinking stops and see where you are on the timing marks so that you can put it back there again.

Apart from the cost of fuel these are great engines with a lovely sound to them, enjoy!

David

Thanks for all your replys and help chaps, it's really appreciated.

at last got her ticking over smoothly. It was only the mixture in the end.

Qusetion, should it sound like a blacksmith hammering away in the gearbox on tickover in neutral?

Cheers,

Charlie

Qusetion, should it sound like a blacksmith hammering away in the gearbox on tickover in neutral?

Watch your idling speed - if it's too low the transfer gears will chatter, which doesn't do them any good. It's interesting that the Mk.1 manual suggests 450 rpm for idling whereas the Mk.2 suggests 800 rpm.

Andy

Cheers Bill, never seen so many ladybirds in one place!

Thanks for the tip Andy.

C.

Apparently Ladybirds are drawn to white objects!

Explains why my white house and white car are always covered in Ladybirds!

• 1 month later...

I can crack on with the restoration now :) She runs fine for the first 5 mins Bill and then hardly any drive at all. All oils checked and double checked. All i can think of now is the torque converter is on its way out but why would she run for the first 5 mins?

Managed to find a spare engine errrrrrr, sort of, it's sort of attached to another vehicle....... I wonder what the misses is going to say when it turns up? I've always worked on don't ask permission, just appologise after :)

60915-432 etc 015.jpg

Wotto Colin, another member of the just do and say sorry club :D I'd better mention Colin is after a AEC Militant Heavy Recovery as he hasn't already :)))) lol

Just for peoples info, the additional 432 i've just purchased is not being broken up and will be restored after this one I think, could be before, we'll see when it gets here next week hopefully.

C.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mondays delivery turned up today! Its way too good to break so will probably be restored first as its a non-runner. The reg is 06EA99 if anyone happens to fall over an in service pic. Also after an offside wheel station if anyone has one kicking about.

photo.jpg

Ok, there are a lot of odd brackets and slight things different with this one that i haven't seen before. Can anyone shed any light on the following to begin with;

On the rear engine bulkhead normally where there is a slim box, what clips in here? (sorry, photo on its side)

IMG_1575.jpg

No vision block in the rear door??

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg