MOD DDay70 Accreditation Form

Hi Folks,

Couldn't believe no one has posted about this yet.

It seems that EVERYONE travelling to Normandy between 4th and 8th of June will need to fill out and send off a form (link below) in order to gain access to the restriction area covering Calvados, Manche and Orne.

http://dday70.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/d-day70-accreditation-and-event-ticket-application-form.doc

All the best, Richard

Try to tell any friends NOT in the MVT or on this site if they are planning to travel to the celebrations as this hasn't been well advertised elsewhere. I told a couple of mates last night in the same situation and they knew nothing about it ! It seems all very last minute we have been planning this for two years and now this with less than two months to go :mad:

It seems all very last minute we have been planning this for two years and now this with less than two months to go :mad:

At least its 2 months and not 2 weeks.

I completed the form over weekend and emailed it off.

Quickly received confirmation of receipt from the MOD, so it is for real and not some kind of joke (I did wonder as first heard about it around 1st April......).

Just have to wait now to see how I get formally "accredited".

presumably we have to do the OGEL thing again? or is that a register once, good life type affair?

Richard[/quote

That was the last minute "glitch" 5 years ago....

Once you are registered by name, that's it though. Registration is for you, not your vehicles.

Edited by cordenj

At least its 2 months and not 2 weeks.

I completed the form over weekend and emailed it off.

Quickly received confirmation of receipt from the MOD, so it is for real and not some kind of joke (I did wonder as first heard about it around 1st April......).

Just have to wait now to see how I get formally "accredited".

Given the huge numbers involved two months doesn't seem long but I agree better than two weeks :-D They weren't doing it in 1944 they were glad to see us, now we want to go and show our respect for the people involved 70yrs ago it all gets complicated. I hope it goes smoothly anyway.

Though nobody in France seems to know a thing about it......

Adrian,

Info I have is that the MOD is acting on a request from "the French authorities" via our Defence Attache's Office in Paris.

Perhaps then, a central French government initiative rather than something local to Calvados Département, hence lack of awareness of it in Normandy.

This was released by MoD yesterday:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accreditation-and-funding-for-d-day-70-commemorations-in-france

A particularly relevant paragraph is: "All applications that have been submitted to date will be processed, however the D-Day 70 team wish to ensure that all veterans, their families and those who are accompanying them are accredited as a priority. Other members of the public wishing to travel to Normandy will need to accredit via the French authorities and contact details will be added to this website shortly."

Totally agree the prioritisation, but not sure where that leaves MV driving Members of the Public who haven't submitted their form yet........ "Accrediting via French authorities".

On another forum there is a letter from one of the MOD team, to a forum member, that infers/suggests that all forms (non Vet) that have been submitted so far will be forwarded to the correct French office once it is known. But those who have not applied yet will have to apply to the French direct once the details are posted. I reckon anyone who doesn't apply can look forward to enjoying a nice view of a French checkpoint for the day :-) It does seem that it is now mainly the 6th that will have the major lockdown.

I reckon the short time scale could be a deliberate decision on the part of the French. If they had declared this situation well in advance it would have provided loads of time, too much time, to get publicised and most folk would have had the chance to get an application in to the correct office. That would have meant a hell of a lot of admin for the French clerks. If you don't give much time you can't get too many applications in! That way you don't have to process them. It is so much easier for a Gendarme to point at cars to turn around and bugger off somewhere else on the day (i.e. Belgium:-D) and have a light load inside the area and an easier crowd to police. Than if everyone and their grandmother had obtained the right bit of paper and had the right to access and were clogging up the place big style - which will probably happen to a certain extent anyway. Not so helpful to the tourists but not so daft an idea. I do love a conspiracy theory on a Friday evening :-)

On another forum there is a letter from one of the MOD team, to a forum member, that infers/suggests that all forms (non Vet) that have been submitted so far will be forwarded to the correct French office once it is known. But those who have not applied yet will have to apply to the French direct once the details are posted. I reckon anyone who doesn't apply can look forward to enjoying a nice view of a French checkpoint for the day :-) It does seem that it is now mainly the 6th that will have the major lockdown.

I reckon the short time scale could be a deliberate decision on the part of the French. If they had declared this situation well in advance it would have provided loads of time, too much time, to get publicised and most folk would have had the chance to get an application in to the correct office. That would have meant a hell of a lot of admin for the French clerks. If you don't give much time you can't get too many applications in! That way you don't have to process them. It is so much easier for a Gendarme to point at cars to turn around and bugger off somewhere else on the day (i.e. Belgium:-D) and have a light load inside the area and an easier crowd to police. Than if everyone and their grandmother had obtained the right bit of paper and had the right to access and were clogging up the place big style - which will probably happen to a certain extent anyway. Not so helpful to the tourists but not so daft an idea. I do love a conspiracy theory on a Friday evening :-)

I've had a response from a very helpful guy at the MOD similar to what you have quoted above in the first paragraph NS. I got my application in ASAP when the form came out. I'm grateful I did after what has happened in the last week as you will probably be sweating a bit with no French authority contact seemingly up and running yet.

Something I can't quite understand is how strict they are being this year. I know its probably going to be the last big commemoration and there are going to be a lot more people around, however when we were there five years ago I couldn't believe how simple it was for us to move around and we did everything we wanted to. Even when the motorway was closed in order for Obama to travel direct to the American sector we still managed to navigate around it without too many problems.

As stated above I can see a lot of disappointed people on the 6th June this year if they don't know about these restrictions. I suppose if you don't get accreditation and you are staying within the restriction zone then you can still try and get around by foot according to the information I've read.

Scott

Just had this through after submitting our forms, arrggghhhhh what do I do??

Doesn't seem to be much info on the website diverted to, and looking at other websites the emphasis seems to be more on the 6th as opposed to the 4th to 8th as suggested before.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Defence (MoD) regarding accreditation to be in Normandy and/ or attend DDay 70 commemorations and events on 6 June.

The MoD is currently only assisting Normandy Veterans (+ their families and travel companions) to obtain accreditation from the French authorities.

All other persons wishing to travel around Normandy on 6 June should obtain accreditation directly from the French Authorities at the National Office for Veterans and Victims of War of Calvados. Information regarding the process can be found at http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/practical-information/f-a-q/?lang=en

If you have already submitted an accreditation form to us prior to 10 April we will pass your application to the French Authorities on your behalf. However, if you are receiving this email then your details are not being transferred. Therefore you will need to resubmit your application (the details are the same as on our accreditation form) via their online channel on the website above. I apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued travel advice for British Citizens wishing to make the journey to Normandy here.

Also, do keep up to date by checking for latest news on http://www.gov.uk/mod/dday70 or http://www.the70th-normandy.com.

I must say there does seem to be a lack of decent information anywhere regarding this, just a lot of speculation. Even the official sites don't really have any helpful advice. We are staying at Hermanville so it could get interesting :cool2:.

Just received this email along with most my colleagues that have applied :mad:

[TABLE]

[TR=class: Header]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1] From:

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1] Sent:

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Defence (MoD) regarding accreditation to be in Normandy and/ or attend DDay 70 commemorations and events on 6 June.

The MoD is only assisting Normandy Veterans (+ their families and travel companions) to obtain accreditation from the French authorities.

However, as we received your submission/ application prior to 10 April, we have forwarded your application to the French Authorities on your behalf at the National Office for Veterans and Victims of War of Calvados / veterans@onacvg.fr Any applications received after the 10 April will not be processed by the MoD and must be sent to the French Authorities direct. Information regarding the process can be found at http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/practical-information/f-a-q/?lang=en

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued travel advice for British Citizens wishing to make the journey to Normandy here.

Also, do keep up to date by checking for latest news on www.gov.uk/mod/dday70 or www.the70th-normandy.com.

Yours faithfully,

Dominic Rotherham

Good to hear that you have had a response from them, hope they accept you!! I am going on the MVT tour, was a little bit unsure what to put for the reason I was going to Normandy on the form, hopefully I get some kind of response from them soon.

Yes I know what you mean I'm taking the Norton over and am staying at the Etreham campsite with the other DR's I've sent forms to MOD and the French site just to be on the safe side.

I think it'll be ok once over there with only the 6th being restricted due to VIP's, depending on the weather I think I'll head up to Battery Longues and spend the day there and chill out, I'll have laid my wreath on the 4th or 5th at Ranville so will not have to go there on the 6th which will be nigh impossible.

RR.

In past years there has been a eleventh hour panic to get these mysterious forms that get dreamed up.

I have paid for passes applied for passes had my wind screen covered in passes. Rumors that you will be locked in side your camp site ,arrested if in a military vehicle moving in a so called no go area .

Are the Norwegians ,Swedes,Dutch ,Americans and the rest of the world going to apply to the MOD for these passes ?

Truth is never needed ANY passes for anything .

Just go and enjoy the experience.

Wattie