MK IV Cromwell

lssah2025

The F type hatch does require a certain technique but once mastered is easy enough. I should say was easy enough as when I was driving them a lot about 25 years ago, it was a doddle. I'm not as bendy now though....

The problem with the D type hull hatch is getting your legs to bend forwards to go under the glacis plate. Both types favour the smaller driver, at 6' 2", it is never going to be as for me easy as Sherman!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like to think it was muscular physique that makes me struggle getting in and out :D when I got home from war and peace last year I had a line of bruises running across my back from armpit to armpit where I had contorted myself into the drivers seat. no pain no gain !

quite looking forward to having a bash at another Cromwell so soon after mine, many lessons were learned the hard way first time round and these will not be repeated. I also have done nothing but live and breath Cromwell for the last 2 years so i'm hoping for an easy resto, "just a walk in the park"

I plan on helping a few other Cromwell/centaur/cavalier resto's along the way so we should see a bit more brit armour on the show circuit in the next 3 or 4 years.

my long term plan to flood the market with british armour is coming to fruition :cool2:

once the Cromwell's are done i'll be moving onto the Churchill's

rick

i'd like to think it was muscular physique that makes me struggle getting in and out :D when I got home from war and peace last year I had a line of bruises running across my back from armpit to armpit where I had contorted myself into the drivers seat. no pain no gain !

quite looking forward to having a bash at another Cromwell so soon after mine, many lessons were learned the hard way first time round and these will not be repeated. I also have done nothing but live and breath Cromwell for the last 2 years so i'm hoping for an easy resto, "just a walk in the park"

I plan on helping a few other Cromwell/centaur/cavalier resto's along the way so we should see a bit more brit armour on the show circuit in the next 3 or 4 years.

my long term plan to flood the market with british armour is coming to fruition :cool2:

once the Cromwell's are done i'll be moving onto the Churchill's

rick

Must be those large abdominals Rick..... I seemed to slip in and out of the Cromwell with comparative ease ;)

to be honest getting my @rse in and out is easy it's my shoulders that get stuck, I go in feet first then put one arm in with the other behind my head while I slip in and gravity does the rest. getting out I reach up for the periscope shroud and wriggle a bit and out I pop. it's a bit like being born again :D.

I like the idea of 3 cromwells together at w&p. not this year but next year is looking good so far !

rick

I would like to thank Rick for going down to the Isle of Wight 2 times for me in the last week to look over things and to give me good info to finalize the deal and take the final payment today and pick up some new parts for her (well I should say bribed), so tentatively she will ship up to Manchester around mid March and then he will start some preliminary work, engine sent off for a check to see if it can be possibly rebuilt, or if I will have to source another Meteor engine, the transmission will be looked at, some bits and bobs out to inventory etc. Just some minor things for a few months, then hopefully some tearing into. I will be visiting late March, so I will take more pics of her... So countdown to W&P 2015! :cheesy:

Edited by lssah2025

unfortunately I don't have enough room in my normal workshop for 2 tanks and a bren gun carrier so I will be building a new workshop at a yard I have nearby.

the first stage was to clear the site and lay 8 ton of concrete to form a 9ft x 35ft slab which will be followed by another 2 which will give an overall floor space of 27ft x 35ft. after that i'll nail a few upright rsj's front and back and chuck the roof on and hey presto tank workshop ;)

2014-02-28 15.43.40.jpg

rick

Edited by eddy8men

unfortunately I don't have enough room in my normal workshop for 2 tanks and a bren gun carrier so I will be building a new workshop at a yard I have nearby.

the first stage was to clear the site and lay 8 ton of concrete to form a 9ft x 35ft slab which will be followed by another 2 which will give an overall floor space of 27ft x 35ft. after that i'll nail a few upright rsj's front and back and chuck the roof on and hey presto tank workshop ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88089[/ATTACH]

rick

Looking good Rick.

Bill I think I am further, I live in the states, work in the middle east and the tank is in the UK, so I will only get to see it during hops across the pond and whatever Rick puts up, might have to buy him a new digi camera to take photos..