MK IV Cromwell

lssah2025

So how are the tyres actually fitted to the wheels? Are they bonded onto the wheels, bonded onto a steel ring, or simply a tight press fit on the wheel? I don't really know a lot about solid tyres, but find them worryingly fascinating.

trevor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why I might try and find a spare wheel, to do it like this, either on the front or mounted on the turret, plus I have a little spare Comet track, it is a little bigger and wider, but not too many would know the difference, to put a few pieces on itA_Cromwell_tank_crew_of_4th_County_of_London_Yeomanry,_7th_Armoured_Division,_preparing_a_meal_i.jpg.

Cromwell-Sittard-Holland.jpg

72460-med.jpg

128226-med.jpg

That is why I might try and find a spare wheel, to do it like this, either on the front or mounted on the turret, plus I have a little spare Comet track, it is a little bigger and wider, but not too many would know the difference, to put a few pieces on it.

If using track as applique armour, there didn't seem to be too much concern that it was the same track as used on the tank. I seem to recall pictures of British tanks even using Pz IV track for this purpose

sk

same diameter wheel for Cromwell, comet, centurion, chieftain and challenger (I think) unfortunately they are different widths and the later tanks have 12 studs not 8 like the Cromwell but they can be used with a little machining but i'd like to have the originals re-rubbered and seeing as how lance is paying for it all, money is no object on this resto :-D

rick

same diameter wheel for Cromwell, comet, centurion, chieftain and challenger (I think) unfortunately they are different widths and the later tanks have 12 studs not 8 like the Cromwell but they can be used with a little machining but i'd like to have the originals re-rubbered and seeing as how lance is paying for it all, money is no object on this resto :-D

rick

10 studs Rick, not 12. ;)

For re-moulding road wheels has any one tried BH Leake and Sons in Birmingham?I have used them for years for all types of rubber rolls and tyres.They are a very helpful company and offer many types of material for bonding.http://www.bhleakerubber.co.uk/home 0121 472 0657Hope this is of some use.
Thanks for the info, everything helps out!!

we've been busy this week :-D

fuel tanks steam cleaned, repaired, tested and painted ready to be fitted.

oil tanks cleaned and painted ready to fit.

the engine is with the builder and the tear down starts on Monday

we also had a quick look at the box and managed to free off the brakes and got the box to spin quite freely, we'll have a proper look at it on Monday and although we were told the box was knackered i'm fairly confident it will be ok with a bit of work.

if the resto gods are on our side by the end of the next week the engine, clutch and gearbox will be ready for fitting.

2014-04-05 15.02.19.jpg

2014-04-05 15.02.43.jpg

2014-04-05 17.23.41.jpg

Rick, is the engine going up to Carlisle??? Pete

And please change the seal we had that prob with in situ... :) I'm only saying this cuz we learn by our mistakes. Grr box out again!! no good!

It seems like ppl have to work upside down in tanks, gerrit right now then no crap later...

Rick, were the fuel tanks in need of less attention than the others?

Edited by ashtonpete

Pete, the fuel tanks and oil tanks were restored by the previous owner at Isle of Wight, the dash has been rebuilt already, the fuel gauges and speedo were already redone, same as some work on the drivers compartment, so those just needed to be checked over, and finished. The gearbox looks good on the inside Rick said, so hopefully no big issues, the engine was dropped off last week, I think they moved locations, but should be the same builder/restorer as the last. Next big project is the turret and figuring out what to do about the wheels, either try to have the rubber redone, or modify centurion wheels.

Some info from the engine rebuilder.

I'm unable to get the inlet manifold water jackets off, it's a common problem caused by damp storage where the studs corrode into the alloy casting. Having drilled them out as far as I can, it is still solid, so I can get the engine apart by splitting the manifolds into two with a disc cutter, see red line on photo, but I need the go ahead for that as I don't have any replacements. They could be welded, but it all adds to the work.

I could get it apart in about a week and a half, so overall, it's going to cost more than a good engine if you can find one that isn't seized up.

Internally it looks ok, the oil is quite clean. It has wear on some of the cam lobes, typical of these engines. The ignition harnesses and magnetos look in poor condition too.

So it looks like I will get to keep my 44 dated engine.

top.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, I'm NOT jealous and I do NOT want my own Cromwell, ....................

I've seen a few of the Charioteers and Comets that the Finnish armor museum have "behind the curtains", and I hope they'll release a few more to private collectors. We want to see more British armour running and being shown to the public.

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see it running.

Goran N