MK IV Cromwell

lssah2025

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 tons, metal track and 40mph give or take, I bet.....I wouldn't want to be the one putting it into an inanimate object though. If Rick can do damage in the yard, I sure as heck don't want to be on the road :-D...Plus you can't jump it on the road can't ford streams and make dust clouds...

Well supposedly the engine is done, rebuilt etc. by flight engineering UK, it cost a little over 5K pounds to redo, so lets hit Rick up for some updates..

I found the engine on youtube

Sounds good... next thing is for the gear box to being finished, currently soaking to clean out the gunk, Rick replaced the filter that was friggin clogged to a point of no return, we just also just got a new steam/power washer to do the interior and other bits and bobs..

Fingers crossed working on another project to speed along the Cromwell restoration...

Edited by lssah2025

This is a very interesting restoration. Out of curiosity, what has been involved in the engine rebuild? Is it a full disassemble - clean in a parts washer - visual inspection and then back together? Edit: how far does the disassemble stage go - for example, are the sleeves removed from the block?

Edited by JoelH
clarification

Looks like we'll have to start calling you Resto-Rick from now on mate! Another cracking resto mate, looking forward to the progress pics!!! Don't forget, if you're dismantling the final drive...nice big, clear pictures!

Other than the redundancy aspect, dual plugs mean that the fuel/air mixture is burned up faster because you have 2 flame fronts crossing the cylinder and meeting somewhere in the middle rather than having one flame front that has got to cross the entire cylinder. Not only does this mean more of the bang is happening when the conrod and crankshaft are at the most favourable angle, it also means that the flame is less likely to go out before finishing the task. Such partial burns are common at part throttle - wasting fuel, which either gets lost out the exhaust or down the cylinder sides.

Of course, you could achieve a similar effect with a single plug, by placing it in the middle of the combustion chamber - easy on a 2 stroke, harder on a 4 valve 4 stroke.

On another note - I know it is said that some early meteors were rebuilt merlins, but what we appear to have here is a meteor becoming a merlin... ;)

trevor

Damn i feel old as i had to learn radial and merlin theory back when i first started out working...

the other reason for 2 plugs i.e. additional to above is to prevent detonation of the fuel as when the flame front progresses it can compress the remaining vapour which detonates instead of the desired controlled bang on the crown of the piston.

When we did a mag check and cut one they would still run but a lot rougher. I would think the original intent was redundancy and the other benefits were learned over a short time as aerospace engines changed dramatically in such a small time frame

Final drives were rebuilt by the previous owner at Isle of Wight, so I don't know if we will tear into them or not. The transmission and engine were the two big questions. I will let Rick input on the final drives though.

the engine rebuilder was peter greive from flightengineering in leeds (formerly carlisle). he's a good guy and does lots of merlins, meteors and griffons he even has a few junkers jumo's and 109 bits. the best bit is he's fair with his prices. i would recommend him to anyone.

this engine was completely rebuilt as it was badly siezed form corrosion and appeared to have been stored outside for some time. when lance bought the charioteer he was told the engine and gearbox were beyond repair but we now have a working engine and the gearbox is very nearly done too, next will be the clutch inspection/repair then the rads and fan drives, which leaves the steering and gear linkages. we could have it running as a charioteer for war and peace but that's not the plan although it would be nice to see my cromwell, ian galliers comet, lances charioteer and melvyns centurion all together. the last of the british heavy cruisers. :cool2:

rick

Hi Rick,

Oh yes please all that British C armour at once and I would be right beside it in the Arena ! See you all there I hope !

Andy

p.s. I will come back to you about the Daimler Heavy tyres soon I promise.

although it would be nice to see my cromwell, ian galliers comet, lances charioteer and melvyns centurion all together. the last of the british heavy cruisers

Now that would be a picture worth hanging on the wall!!!

Re the final drive, if the IoW guys have already stripped and rebuilt it I don't see that you'll need to do it again, sigh! There's goes my hope for some 'up-the-skirt' shots!

lance i'm sure we can get it moving under it's own steam, which is a world away from a restoration but it's a good way to kick it all off.

i'm up for it, after all it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to show off the british armoured lineage and we could even get john pearson's valentine to lead from the front followed by the cromwell, comet, centurion, cheiftain and chally 2 :-D.

the decision is with lance and as always will come down to how many shekkles he can throw my way in june and july (these things aren't cheap). regardless of what pans out with the charioteer i will be there with the cromwell but it would be nice to do it just once !

rick