1940 Bedford OY restoration.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Howard, back wheels on Saturday and run her up and I'll pull it out the shed, past parts are good and not very dear! The WC your rebuilding looks nice, always loved wartime American trucks!.

Yep the old US trucks are nice.Are start a blog on the dodge as soon as I really get stuck in, Ive got a dodge ambulance to do first in the queue this is going to be a part strip down and rebuild. I am away for the next week on another job so this will start when i get back.

I'm not sure about the red fuel filler cap (I think that was post-war) and I don't think white-painted wheel nuts were that common on camouflaged vehicles in theatre although I've seen them in photos of UK-based vehicles. Here's evidence that they had red nuts in the desert.

Red nuts.jpg

Must have been caused by the sand, fnar fnar! Seriously though, not all vehicles had the wheel nuts painted. This is the only desert photo that I can find in our Manx Regiment collection that shows red-painted split-rim nuts. Most other photos show them in body colour.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

Out in he dessert in ww2, would the wheel nuts have been red and white?, and the fuel tank caps red?.

I think white nuts was just a parade/ceremonial thing. The red on the nuts would probably have been indicative (maybe just a dab on the end). I can't imagine they would have painted the fuel caps a different colour without a good reason.

Fuel tank caps, could they not be red for petrol vehicles, and yellow for diesel vehicles, to avoid some oik filling with the wrong fuel? Probably a load of bull but sounds feasible.

They certainly were post war, but I'm not sure whether there were the same problems with different fuels wartime. I'm sure someone on here will know but the only common wartime diesel vehicle I can think of is the Matilda 2. I'd have thought it would be more likely to be stencilled if they needed to distinguish, especially with different octanes in use and leaded fuel for the big engines.

I take it back. General principles of M.T. from the Royal Artillery Mechanical Traction School for March 1945 lists several different fuels that are dyed different colours.

M.T. 72 coloured orange or yellow (used in the UK only)

M.T. 80 coloured red

Petroleum spirit undyed (forbidden to be used in vehicles)

Derv for C.I. engines

That would probably tie up with red marking of the fuel caps.