Preparing to board - D-Day.

Markheliops

Hi all - I have the bug for downloading pics and thought this would be of interest to you.

I came across this picture whilst doing some research for the Ward la France.

width=640 height=513http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/SC206438.jpg[/img]

As a Ward owner, I have found it really difficult to find any information and pictures on the vehicle of my choice, so I was well happy to come across this.

Regards

Mark

Nice work Mark.

I believe that this one was taken in Devon........

Cheers

Jack.

You believe correct Jack. It is Brixham Harbour. The slipway is still in use today (although it has been built over), infact I use it quite often for our dive boat. If you wait until low water you can still see the remains of the original "chocolate blocks" it was made of.

http://www.lstmemorial.org/

Once you start studying the above pic these is a hell of a lot of interesting detail. Notice the wing tips of the spotter plane sticking out of the back of the truck? Etc. interesting stuff in the various Dodges also. I have a copy of the pic in a magazine and have had hours of entertainment after scanning it and then enlarging it on the pc screen. Seriously sad b****rd eh? :-D

:-) In fact -

http://image38.webshots.com/39/2/40/51/2332240510086232637eSubjn_fs.jpg?track_pagetag=/page/photo/news/military&track_action=/Shortcuts/FullSize

You can zoom in and have a look for yourself! Sorry the left side is missing off mine. If the above link doesnt go to the enlarged version, let it load fully and then that option should become available.

IIRC the guy perched on the side of the WLF in the centre is standing on a row of jerrycans stowed between the wing and the locker. It's an authentic 'feature' I intend to recreate on mine at some point 'cos there's precious little storage space on these things.

I'd not noticed the plane wings before - I'd only really looked at the wreckers.

I've a load more action shots of WLFs to bore people with. I'll scan & post them up next week :-).

I've been looking at this photo daily ever since it first was posted here. Of course I'm looking at the Dodges with all their equipment. What has caught my eye the last days are the deep water frding kits installed. They look really cool on the overloaded trucks. I know that they were a lot of work since you also had to rud some sticky grease thing on all the wires. But I think it would be cool to recreate the looks with a snorkel on the truck. Nut can they be found?

Marty