Preparing to board - D-Day.

Markheliops

• 1 month later...

a bit late reply, but can you perhaps post a picture like that (made at about same location or so, nowadays?

at least, thanks :D

Good point - the now and then pictures always fasinate me and we should all try and do some 'now & then' pictures in a our own areas - would make a great section on here..................

On the Easter weekend this year I went to Brixham and stood in the same spot where the photo was taken, unfortunately I did not have my camera with me which really peed me off. We also walked down to the slipway and there is still some "chocolate block" there.Looking at the blocks I could not help wondering how many GIs had walked over them on their way to Normandy never to return home again. Also while watching the people on holiday walking to and fro over the chocolate blocks I wondered how many of them knew what the blocks ment?

Some years ago I liberated some chocolate blocks from "R3 Hard" at Weymouth they are now outside our workshop. I am fasinated to know how it was made because the "chocolate block" pattern is on both sides.Also was it made locally to each port of embarkation?

Jim.

'Chocolate Block' is the non technical term used to describe the type of slipway constructed at the embarkation ports. It was cast in concrete and the pattern is in squares which taper in towards the top - as per on a chocolate bar. Hence the term. No idea what the correct technical term used at the time was to describe the stuff. I've not been there but I'm told there is also a large section to be seen in the Torquay area. Believed now scheduled as a monument since the 'Defence of Britain' project listed it. I didnt realise it was on both sides, I suppose to give some grip when it was laid, in some locations probably without other fixing cement etc. ?

Yes Jack, you can use the jpg ( I have it larger 2816 x 2112 if you need it). Just had a quick play with Macromedia and came up with this 8-) It should work, but it may take a while to load though.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/poplarkin/1944-2007.gif

Wonderful, great work Pop and again well done that man - you will have to teach us how to do that as that could work very.