Fitting 9.00x16 Petlas Tyres on British C8 Rims

Ian L

it is not good removing rubber from the bead. when I fit these I use an angle grinder to polish the rim as much as I can then i use a press to push one bead about half way on the inside rim then fit tube and flap inside tyre. Smother everything in soap I use the original swarfega as a lubricant,then fit the other half of the rim and bolt up making sure the flap is not pinched. inflate and it will all slip together. If you have access to a deep lathe you can remove about a sixteenth off the rim and the tyre will drop on nicely. this is the best long term solution.

Ian,

I changed the two front tyres on my Humber back in the summer, bought two 900x16's from TOTEC TYRES who promised me they would fit british rims....................

And they did ! it was one of the easiest tyre changes i had done. no skimming just dropped on like a glove.

However, that was the easy bit, i then had to balance them, which proved interesting.

So yes, the tyres for British rims did fit my Humber 900x16 rims without trimming.

Jules

Ian,

I changed the two front tyres on my Humber back in the summer, bought two 900x16's from TOTEC TYRES who promised me they would fit british rims....................

And they did ! it was one of the easiest tyre changes i had done. no skimming just dropped on like a glove.

However, that was the easy bit, i then had to balance them, which proved interesting.

So yes, the tyres for British rims did fit my Humber 900x16 rims without trimming.

Jules

Hi Jules I just looked on their website and can only find US style 900x16 bargrips, do you have a photo of the tread pattern ?

Back in the days when I had to fit British tyres (ex-101) to my Dodge 3/4 ton they just pushed on, no problem. Managed to get them balanced too.

I thought I read somewhere that modern tyres don't fit British rims and need some rubber shaving off ? but US rims are ok ?

Hi Jules I just looked on their website and can only find US style 900x16 bargrips, do you have a photo of the tread pattern ?

Ian

i thought long and hard about this tyre problem, we all know that the bottom line is, we will never get new Trac grip run flat tyres again, so putting that aside, what options are there for 900x16 wheels...............

Petla's with a reasonable tread pattern .................but not quite right

or

Bar Grips, again with the wrong pattern for British vehicles, however i thought that 95% of people just except bar grips these days and we see them on everything, that they would be ok.

my worry with Petlas is they look modern, but its up to you. i bought two 900 x 16 bar grips from Totec and as i said they fitted like a glove.

Jules

IMG_1724 (2).jpg

• 1 month later...

I put the tyre down on the work bench and gently ground it, the grinder really does dig in and bite so you have to be gentle with it otherwise you will bugger the whole lot up!

It throws lots of molten rubber all over you and everything around you, I wore eye protection and gloves the second time around ...

20131208_163948.jpg

20131208_164002.jpg

Put the rims together tighten up the nuts, pump the tyre up, we put around 40PSI in, you will see it slide up the rim, be careful not to make it too loose, as when you put your foot down the rim will spin in the tyre.

Here is a picture of the finished product. . Two down one to go! 20131208_163904_resized.jpg