Ferret Scout Markings - Personal Dilemma

PC1075

Here’s my dilemma;

I recently purchased a ’59 Ferret Scout Car Mk1 from the UK – the purchase was made in memory of my Dad who passed away in Torquay, Devon on June 30th, 2013 in my arms (terminal cancer). The Ferret Scout Car was the last vehicle we spoke about – he was a “Petrol Head” too and was also in the Military and I am a nut about Roll-Royce so we thought this was the perfect fit.

Dad was a Royal Warrant Officer in the Air Training Corp in the later part of his life, but was in the R.E.M.E. after he left school as a young lad. My dilemma is that I do not have any history about his R.E.M.E. life – he never spoke much about his childhood or life prior to marring my Mum. So, as I have no history on his R.E.M.E. days and/or his serial number etc…, should I go ahead and add his markings as a W.O. Name/Serial No. to the Ferret in his memory…?

(he held the rank of Royal Warrant Officer and I have his full uniform and serial number and history)

Did the R.A.F. ever use Ferret Scout Cars…?

The Ferret currently has no markings at all, just the recent repaint in black/green camouflage.

I guess I should not care as this was purchased in his memory and some would say, you can do what you want as you own it, but I would like to be politically correct although living now in Orlando, Florida, I doubt too many people are going to rag on me.

Thank you all for your “Sincere Input”.Cheers…Simon

here’s my dilemma;

i recently purchased a ’59 ferret scout car mk1 from the uk – the purchase was made in memory of my dad who passed away in torquay, devon on june 30th, 2013 in my arms (terminal cancer). The ferret scout car was the last vehicle we spoke about – he was a “petrol head” too and was also in the military and i am a nut about roll-royce so we thought this was the perfect fit.

Dad was a royal warrant officer in the air training corp in the later part of his life, but was in the r.e.m.e. After he left school as a young lad. My dilemma is that i do not have any history about his r.e.m.e. Life – he never spoke much about his childhood or life prior to marring my mum. So, as i have no history on his r.e.m.e. Days and/or his serial number etc…, should i go ahead and add his markings as a w.o. Name/serial no. To the ferret in his memory…?

(he held the rank of royal warrant officer and i have his full uniform and serial number and history)

did the r.a.f. Ever use ferret scout cars…?

The ferret currently has no markings at all, just the recent repaint in black/green camouflage.

I guess i should not care as this was purchased in his memory and some would say, you can do what you want as you own it, but i would like to be politically correct although living now in orlando, florida, i doubt too many people are going to rag on me.

thank you all for your “sincere input”.cheers…simon

thats a great gesture, im sure your dad will be proud whatever you decide....and do a history board when you show it, so people know its a tribute to your dad...all the best and post some pictures !

Dear Simon,

It was a pleasure to speak with you by phone the other day.

I have thought long and hard about what you are trying to achieve.

I even discussed it with a few mates over a wet one the other day.

In the end, we felt it would if ours, and this is only just our opinion, mark the vehicle with your father's first name or his nick name or his initials in a neat stencilling about an inch high on either side in a contrasting colour so if in the green area do it in black etc.

Then we thought making a small sign board that explains your Dad's career in the REME and what array of kit he would or did work on and that the Ferret hold sentimental value to you in this regard and is owned and operated and maintained in an effort to perpetuate that memory.

That is a nice classy way of paying homage and not running amok of the rivet counters.

As you say, it is yours and you may do as you wish.

Look forward to meeting you in person should you come north of the 49th parralel.

Regards

Robin

The RAF Reg had them on RAF Marham when I was there with the REME , all. They had was the Reg number - nothing to say they were RAF or any names - they did not have any storage bins . I have some photos I will try and post if I can find them .

thats a great gesture, im sure your dad will be proud whatever you decide....and do a history board when you show it, so people know its a tribute to your dad...all the best and post some pictures !

Hi Simon,as an ex-REME myself I wondered whether you had tried the REME Museum at Arborfield for any information about your father's service record. They are usually very helpful.If you need the details I will dig them out but they will no doubt have a website.

Secondly you mention the Ferret has had a recent repaint but is there a good thickness of previous coats underneath? If so you stand a good chance of finding earlier unit markings if you carefully strip off the layers. I found a number of signs on my Mk1 Ferret including a complete set of 4RTR markings. All I had to do was paint over them to freshen them up.

Finally the other good folk who replied to your message have said it all. It is entirely up to you what you do with the vehicle; you couldn't have picked a better way of perpetuating your fathers memory. good luck.

Hi Simon,as an ex-REME myself I wondered whether you had tried the REME Museum at Arborfield for any information about your father's service record. They are usually very helpful.

The REME Museum has some records for Wartime servicemen only, but they are brief. If he served in the REME in the 1940s, you might get some luck. Contact them with his full name and number and they will reply. If he didn't serve until the 1950s or later, then you need to contact the MoD.

Contact details are http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/research.aspx and there are some pointers there to help you.

Simon,

your vehicle, your tribute.

i think it's ace what you want to do, with or without a history sign.

all my vehicles have names, named after pink floyd songs or after 4 breakdowns in 6 months (bittercup)

if you can find more history on your dad, you can decide later if you want to change things round a bit.

as for rivitcounters, the one parked next to it has nicer rivits to look at :P

cheers,

Arjan

You may be pleased to know that even regiments might name vehicles after people. In 1976-7, the Saracen ACV of A Squadron 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars was called GARFORTH VC, after a VC won in the early days of the Great War, in my opinion probably one of the last VCs won for mounted cavalry action.

Dear Friends;

Sorry for being MIA. Thank You all sincerely for your replies and to those members who sent personal messages. It is gratifying knowing that in an ever changing world (not always for the best), we can still be human and help our fellow enthusiasts.

Today, I sent off the appropriate paperwork to the MOD with the hope to find information on my Dad and his life in the R.E.M.E. ...thank you “RAFMT” for the information and link.

God Willing, 01CC99 should arrive this Saturday into Jacksonville Port and be ready for pick-up on Monday (fingers crossed for US Customs etc…, although I have crossed all my T’s and dotted all my I’s with paperwork needed).

I will post pictures of the Ferret when it arrives to his new home here in Orlando and keep you updated on the response from the MOD. Very Best Wishes….Simon :)

• 1 month later...

Good Evening Friends....GREAT NEWS, I received today my Dad's Army Records.

He served in the Royal Signals, 87th Army Group Royal Artillery (AGRA) so I guess I was off a little with R.E.M.E. although I could have sworn he mentioned this, either way ...I am very proud to have obtained his military records along with his Army No. As a bonus, I also found out my Grandfathers name (my Dad's dad) as he was listed as Next of Kin sharing the same address which is something we did not know, Dad never talked much about his life prior to meeting my Mum ...he would go as far as saying say his life started when he married her. So I can add this to my family tree. Called my Mum in Torquay to tell her the good news and she is as chuffed and proud as I am.

"Even though you left me June 30th, 2013, I miss you every second, every minute and every hour ...Good Night, God Bless Dad".