Grease guns.

hi paul, firstly you need to turn round the plunger rubber if its been used for cartridges and then suck it out of the tub like a syringe, then finish off with a spatula or piece of wood. :-Dregards

Edited by HotBed

I tried sucking it from the tin and it only filled a few inches at the most. I shall have to look at the rubber seal.

It's one of those things that has always bugged me that I cannot do!

Ah! Did you have the bit in the grease tub with the 'ole in it? :cool2: That plastic disc a lot of people pull out? If you put the gun over that hole and suck the grease comes up.

I have a part worn angle grinder cutting disc as a piston in my tin as it never had a holey bit. Works like a charm! :-D

This made me chuckle - I will have to try this as, like Paul, I only seem to be able to make an almighty mess!

I still think I shall still make a 'balls-up' of it and end up with my arms covered and loads of cloths covered in grease.

We live and learn and I shall get there in the end! I hope. If not there will have to be tutorials at the next show.

You guys crack me up!!!

I realised that when talking about a grinding disc you probably meant this type of grease pot...

IMG_0555.jpg

But I have this type of grease pot...!!

IMG_0556.jpg

So anyway I thought how hard can this be....extend plunger, put end of gun into grease and withdraw plunger...

Within two minutes I was (as usual) like a drunkard wrestling with a bucket of live eels...!! Grease everywhere, as per usual, masses of rags needed to clean up, as per usual, and the grease gun now scattered around the garage in its component parts until I can be bothered to sort it out..!!!

Hope I dont need to tension my tracks anytime soon (though I do have a half full olly pump so I will stick to that for the moment!)...

Cheers

Timbo

Guys..................just use the cartridges.................it's so much easier and cleaner :cool2: Just like you Timbo I spent years covered in grease, grit and fluff off the rags used to wipe everything including the cat the dog the kids and the wife :nut:............. pause for thought...... well any way then the grease God invented cartridges and low everything was clean.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

What type of grease gun do you use to tension the Cvrt tracks. I have a normal side arm type gun & it takes every ounce of strength I posses to squirt the stuff into the tensioning ram & tension the tracks. Should I be using some extra large grease gun or am I a pathetic wimp?

What type of grease gun do you use for track tensioning. I use the normal side lever type & it takes all the strength i possess to get the grease into the tensioning ram & tighten the tracks

It shouldn't be that hard, do the idler cranks move freely? I bought one that uses compressed air but I've not tried it yet.

What type of grease gun do you use for track tensioning. I use the normal side lever type & it takes all the strength i possess to get the grease into the tensioning ram & tighten the tracks

Guy

Try removing the grease nipple from the idler cranks, squirt wd40 in, replace the nipple and regrease. Also slackening the tracks right off and retightening them sometimes helps work it loose.

Tim

Sounds like you may need one of these http://www.frost.co.uk/grease-forcer.html

I use one simelar for work and its great! grease hardens after a while, not just in the nipple tho, behind in the pins etc they are screwed into.

Sometimes taking the nipple out and probing the hole (oooh errr missus...!! You sure your a real doctor sir...???) with a thin wire (Mig) breaks it up enough to get fresh in. If not, get heat on it, obviously depending on the part!

Sometimes you have no choice than to remove, strip and clean out the offending part.

OK after enough time for me to calm down I retrieved all the bits from the 4 corners of the garage and had another go. This time I pulled the plunger back as far as it would go then used a bit of cardboard as a spatula to force grease in. I then used a metal rod to release the air pockets and kept forcing grease in and hey presto the job was done with only a modicum of mess this time..! My strong recommendation would be to go for cartridges though!

I am off to tension my tracks tomorrow...

Tim