Land Rover History

Bluelarky

Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, besides my intro! So hi! I have a 1981 Series III Landy, that I'm currently rebuilding(beginning to put it back together!) I'm not sure of it's history, other than that its had 4 previous owners. Luckily the bulkhead looks almost new! The original colour was grey, but the previous owner painted it heffer black & white!

It has what looks like a military centre console with brake light test etc and both the axles have yellow convoy stripes...

There are no MOD plates or stickers inside, so probs not ex mod.

Aaanyway.... Does anybody know where I could possibly find out the history of my Landrover, besides its original colour and number of previous owners!?

Id love to find out its real identity, so I can re-paint her in the original (or one of) colour schemes.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!

I can't seem to find the pic of the convoy stripes on here, so will have to wait till tomorrow for that.

You really can't tell much from the outside, but here are some pics anyway.

The sticker is one the side of the seat box on the passenger side.

Hope these help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is a good possibility that this is a Ex-MOD "CL" (Commercial Logistics) , I say this because of the deep dish bonnet , a civvy truck would tend to have a razor-edge.

Also , the dual-brake "Test" was "CL" standard from about 1980 , prior to this they had single line brakes. Dual brakes were not often taken up as a Optional Extra on a civvy 88".

There would probably be a nomenclature plate on the UK (offside) seat-base at door entrance, however at this date - it could possibly have a very small plate about 1" x 2".

Basically a civvy. 88" with HD shocks all round & rear HD springs, NATO towing pack & a few other extras.

Even more photographs , would be needed to give further opinion ..

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

1978 , single line brakes.

IMG_1302.jpg

1980's with dual-brakes.

IMG_0163-1.jpg

IMG_0164-2.jpg

Last of Line mil. reg. KD , quite a few differences & were diesel.

IMG_0162-1.jpg

You may have to look for a small plate like this, I think these related to small quantity taken on strength from adapted civvy production trucks adapted in all respects.

IMG_0467.jpg

Hi guys, thanks for your imput! There are definetly 100% no small dataplates like the ones pictured above in or on my landrover. I've had it completly stripped bare, so I'm certainly sure. Which just makes it odd that there are convoy stripes on the axle. Unless someone has tried to pretend that it is a military landy in the past?.... Will get some pics up of the interior and stripes asap! cheers!

Never known a British MOD Land Rover have anything going by description of "convoy stripes" , only the rear diff painted white to reflect the convoy lamp .

You may have to do a search at the Leylanbd Heritage museum , the dispatch out record will say if it went to a Ordnance & Storage Depot or wherever .

Edited by ruxy
spelling

Hi guys, thanks for your imput! There are definetly 100% no small dataplates like the ones pictured above in or on my landrover. I've had it completly stripped bare, so I'm certainly sure. Which just makes it odd that there are convoy stripes on the axle.

There is no such thing as "yellow convoy stripes" all Landrovers had a yellow hand painted stripe applied on the axles on the assembly line, I think it was probably to indicate that they had been filled with oil !

A DVLA check shows your L/Rover was registered new with DVLA on 16/4/1981, colour grey, so its not a re-registerd military, so unlikely it had any military connection, might have possibly belonged to government dept, the PSA, Enviroment agency etc, back in '70's/80s they ran a lot of civvy spec grey hardtop L/rovers

Edited by Nick Johns

I would say it's a Civvy model but with a few deluxe additions, bonnet etc.

The center panel was an optional accessory from approx 74, but with that brake check switch it just indicates its a 79 to 83 SWB with the dual circuit front brakes.

Alec.

ISTR , the place to look for the small type Contract plate (used for very late Contracts in small qty.) - would in fact be on top of the radiator grille panel IIRC opposite side to warning plate - have a look around for holes there. After that the only way for certain - obtain the Leyland Heritage Museum info. , however this costs abt. £25