Books!!

Jack

Very fishy! Still just struggled through a book called Dominion, what might have happned if Halifax had become Prime Minister instead of Churchill, don't bother lifes to short! Have just got the DVD of Redtails though, that's worth a watch. As for one to try, Robert Ryan's Early one morning is an intresting book, good story with plenty of WW2 history included.

I think that you are just feeding us a line there.......

:rofl:No, honestly - I am the Honorary Auditor and we have our AGM very soon. I started on the task after lunch and was after a bit of light relief from the maze of figures when I saw Jack's thread:writing:

Advanced early years and education, learning theories in childhood, working together to safeguard children-a guide to inter agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare if children.

Ready for my next 3500 word essay! My last essay before my final piece (6000 words!!!)

"The Benzine Lancers; Mechanicalizing the Australian Military Forces, 1901 to 1919".

As a reference book this is becoming frequent in use in our house, looking for information on vehicle types and use. A very thorougher book covering the acquisition of vehicles in Australia at the commencement of war, shipment to Egypt and use about the region. Continues on to cover the vehicles then moved on to Europe then latter to Europe and those vehicles purchased direct in Britain.

Detailed text with lots of photographs over 330 pages.

Although covering the Australian forces, a common thread exists for other Commonwealth countries in the supply, use and classification of vehicles used.

I understand Rod is into a second printing having sold the first run.

Doug

Just finished reading all the back issues of CMV. Interesting story about some guy who bought himself a GMC and started up some forum. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Next to read i have been given the first 30 copies of Windscreen and i also picked up "Fleet without a friend" about the French fleet at Algiers(?). A defining point in British history, but perhaps not our finest hour?

A non-military book, but just written by a good friend who is a MV collector. I am halfway through it at present. The true story of an Australian adventurer from the early part of the 20th century. He cycled and drove numerous times, across the country where no one had done this before. Also he was the first person to drive from London to Melbourne in a car in the late 1920's. A very thoroughly researched book with gripping tales.

Francis Birtles - Australian Adventurer by Warren Brown

Periodically dipping in and out of Alanbrookes war diaries on Bob Grundys recommendation and very good it is too. A different and interesting perspective on ww2. And no I still dont know who Stuart of the tank corps was!

Also reading on and off:

Saladin user manual

Various issues of cmv and mmi

Books - love em - for me the kindle/ ipad etc will never replace the tactile pleasure of a good book!!!

Next to read i have been given the first 30 copies of Windscreen

Tim,

I joined MVCG (now MVT) at the time of the first Windscreen, think it was 1978 give or take a year. In those days there were no other magazines on MV's and books were pretty sparse as well. So the quarterly Windscreen was eagerly expected and read from cover to cover, especially the small ads. I still have every copy. Of course in the early Eighties we had the launch of Bart's Wheels & Tracks, never beaten and sorely missed.

The kid's Christmas lists; now they are written like War and Peace...................

Get it right and there is Peace. Get Wrong and War on 25th? The battries never go flat on a book! Also you can hide behind it, and have two or three being read at the same time. Try doing that with a plastic and electronic slab! :-D

AND the real clincher, can you imagine not being able to root around a small dark shop or boot fair stall and coming acros a musty dejected copy of something like Peter Scotts War in the Narow Seas, or Popski's Private Army.

Edited by Tony B

Ah yes, the rusty staples. I better get my tetanus jab.

The world has changed a great deal. From no military magazines we have come to a plethora very quickly. I did not renew my subscriptions to Vehicules Militaire as it was taking too long to read it. Leaves me just with MMI, CMV and Windscreen, but I do miss W&T though.

Just got Pratchetts Snuff out from the library. Very entertaining as you would expect. I have got a book or magazine on the go in every room in the house at the moment.

One just off the press! Theo Knell's Hell for Heroes. I've never been into poetry much above 'There was a young lady... type. But I heard an interview with the authour on the BBC Radio 4 and was intrigued so bought the book. When it arrived I skimmed through and the pages opened on the poem The Genie, so I read it before anything else. It had me in tears! The book is mixture of stories of his life in the army , Para's and SAS and his poems, if you want an insight into a soldiers life this is it!Definite for the Christmas list!

'The History of the Calderstones Hospital Railway 1907~1954', How a county lunatic asylum at Whalley, Lancashire is converted in to a Great War military hospital, Queen Mary's. Plenty on building the place and the military ambulance trains that visited from Dover. Followed by life in the Calderstones Certified Institution for Mental Defectives. These later patients were compelled to wear the 'hospital blue' you couldn't make it up. As seen on Amazon

Edited by Whittingham warrior

• 2 weeks later...

These two arrived today. Slightly disappointed that they are the public purchase versions. I have the Parliamentary versions for 1884, 1901 & 1913, they basically they carry the same type of information but are rarer publications with a print run of just 200.

Still some good reading ahead 600 pages in 1904 & 400 in 1905.

Dsc03537Large.jpg

Dsc03539Large.jpg