Books!!

Jack

Still quite a lot of non combat losses even then.

Oh yes between the Crimea & WW2 there were more deaths due to disease than any enemy action.

Apart from that as a general trend diseases of their various kinds are higher amongst less experienced troops.

During peace time STDs go up but malaria & dysentery goes down.

In conflicts the ratio is reversed.

Tim you've rumbled me, any knowledge is simply knowing were to look it up :D

Some of these documents give a great insight to the health of the population & attitudes of the time. In the recruiting period 1903-1912 some 580,799 recruits were examined & some were rejected on these diverse grounds:

Flat feet - 6,050

Over height - 191

Under height - 5,945

Under chest measurement - 27,333

Diseases of heart - 17,477

Defective vision - 15,672

Defective intelligence - 752

Haemorrhoids - 441

Syphilis - 1,167

Impediment of speech - 812

Decayed teeth - 31,721

Not likely to be an efficient soldier - 1,449

• 4 weeks later...

Just started on this, even prefaced with a picture of none other than Lord Cardwell, responsible for many reforms.

DSC03602.jpg

This was published in Jan 1914 so is a nice adjunct to Hampden Gordon's 1935 The War Office.

I have been looking for Capt Wheeler's book since seeing it quoted in Dr Sweetman's 1984 War & Administration - The Significance of the Crimean War for the British Army.

Only paid £10 for this on ebay, no other bidders. Being Jan 1914 I suspect if it was published a year or two later there would have been some competition, strange. I suppose not being about a specific war or campaign it does not command much interest.

I notice this attitude in many antiquarian book shops when I enquire about the location of the military section. I am usually asked "What particular campaign are you interested in?" When I reply "None in particular" I can see the expression indicating that there is pleb in their shop. When pressed further I say "Sanitation, administration just basically anything to do with the British Army other than guns or uniforms" that really confirms that they don't think they have a serious collector in their shop.

So being allowed to look in the locked glass cupboard can be difficult. :-D

• 1 month later...

Wow adrenaline still flowing from an auction.:nut:

Just bought a copy of Queen's Regulations, with postage about 70 quid. Never paid that much before for a book. I do have a copy of QR already but it is relatively recent, so hope the one coming has some significantly different content.

Wow adrenaline still flowing from an auction.:nut:

Just bought a copy of Queen's Regulations, with postage about 70 quid. Never paid that much before for a book. I do have a copy of QR already but it is relatively recent, so hope the one coming has some significantly different content.

So, is this one from Queen Victoria's reign?

So, is this one from Queen Victoria's reign?

As always you are on the ball Richard, not a moderator for nothing :D

Some years ago I paid £5 for a 1959 copy, but this one 1859 & is indeed VR.

It will be interesting to see how the Regulations & indeed penalties have changed.

Although I suspect there have all manner changes from 1959 to now even.

As always you are on the ball Richard, not a moderator for nothing :D

Some years ago I paid £5 for a 1959 copy, but this one 1859 & is indeed VR.

It will be interesting to see how the Regulations & indeed penalties have changed.

Although I suspect there have all manner changes from 1959 to now even.

We will await some of your more interesting snippets from this book when you get into it. :)

Yes because it pre-dates things like the Contagious Diseases Act & the deduction of pay whilst being treated for VD (which wasn't a great public health message). These Regulations were in the period (1851-1879) when deserters were branded. So it will be interesting to see what it says about that.