Is this a little disrespectful?

M5Clive

I have in the past when I was a kid, worn my great grandfathers great war medals on the right during the local Anzac day march as a tribute to him.

I see no problem with this as an act of remembrance.

But It does make me angry when people claim they served or they earned medals when they have not.

More info on wearing medals in Aus

http://www.defence.gov.au/minister/53tpl.cfm?CurrentId=6583

Luke

Out of interest

If you dress up as a German or SS trooper - complete Officer rank with Iron Cross 1st class and usual chest badges - is that disrespectful too or is it OK as they were the enemy, so no offence can be taken?

...Uuuummm....we've been through this particular aspect of 'dressing up' a number of times on here .....and it's best to say......most of agree to differ...greatly.:cool2:...on our opinion of it ....:D

No its not disrespectful, its confused and doing no one any harm.

Years ago Peter Gray had a job to get vehicle crews to wear green coveralls.

Now every one wants to wear some sort of uniform.

Its a free country and men and women have fought for that

However if you are a re-enacter you have a duty to get your chosen period correct if not that IS disrespectful .

[/qoute]

However if you are a re-enacter you have a duty to get your chosen period correct if not that IS disrespectful .

I second this well said

No its not disrespectful, its confused and doing no one any harm.

Years ago Peter Gray had a job to get vehicle crews to wear green coveralls.

Totaly agree. If a re-eanctor has a full period uniform that is historically accurate i think due respect should be given, whatever the nationality. Would be an interesting event if everyone thought 'one' type of uniform was disrespectful so they didn't buy it... make for a very one sided battle on the field.

Blimey, I never realised that one photograph I took and its subsequent uploading on here would spark such a cross section of thoughts and opinion. It really has created quite a lively debate and got everyone thinking.

I spent the entire weekend just gone at the 1940's Wartime weekend on the North Norfolk Steam railway and was particularly on the look out for other sights to substantiate my belief, but the odd thing is, that I find myself having conflicting attitudes entirely dependent on the event/location.

For example, it the event is a local 1940's dance, then pretty much anything goes as it is an event primarily aimed at local community people. I remember one such occasion when a guy who had 'hired' a costume locally did not have any US badges on his lapels on a dress uniform so made his own from cutting them out of foil from milk bottle tops - Now I never ever thought about that as disrespectful, but moreso rather inventive at his strive for perfection/authenticity under his given circumstances. And similarly, I found that in addition to the die-hard 1940's civilian and military re-enactors at the 1940's weekend on the steam railway, their were also local people who had clearly made an effort to look the part for their day out and dressed in all manner of uniforms to compliment the occasion, some shockingly badly, but it was all in the spirit of a day out and an ice cream before home time.

I think the thing that got me thinking about my initial picture taken at the Victory Show, was that this show is a public showcase for everything that it good about our military/re-enactment hobbie and people pay good money to see it. The displays are outstanding, the battle is second to none and the quality of the overwhelming majority of re-enactors are exemplary. I just felt that this particular guy (who i would guess was in his late 50's/early 60's) was putting himself on public display by the very wearing of that tunic (which was definitely not his own uniform) and he wore it exceptionally badly. By the very wearing of it at such a show he was basically saying - Come and look at me....................and some of us indeed did just that, but for all the wrong reasons!

I will openly state once again that I am not above criticism and occasionally also fall into the above 'look at me' category when the occasion demands, but I try my upmost to do this as authentically and sympathetically as possible and am include a picture to substantiate that fact and prove that I also have a 'look at me' element about me - In fact, I think that anyone who wears something out of the ordinary from time to time is guilty of the same, but personally I don't see anything wrong with it when it is done in context and to the best of one's ability.

clivecopy-1.jpg

I just felt that this particular guy (whoever he was) fell way short of the mark and does the movement a dis-service. As far as jack's comments go regarding the whole movement needing a shake-up, although I can see his train of thought, I consider that as up hill/impossible a task as the government sorting the entire country out - I mean, where the hell would you start and who is going to listen anyway?

P1090956.jpg

The last re-enactment I organised in July 2012 during the USAAF Festival. These guys are the right age, the right shape and have the right accents (and are all current serving USAF Personnel from the nearby bases that I recruited and wearing my flying clothing with some items borrowed from Sefton Clothing Co & P Marriott), but this is what is achievable when things are done right and a far cry from our gent at Cosby. Ok, so these examples demonstrate the two extremes of the hobbie, but both instances show the wearing of authentic military uniforms (and rank) to which the wearers are not entitled and what a difference between the two.

P1090918.jpg

Edited by M5Clive
photo amendments

• 1 month later...

So am I pushing the boundaries of acceptable behaviour by occasionally wearing an Old Para Smock when out walking the dog ? It has wings on it and stripes and a DZ flash....anyone offended ?

Dear Lord, Re-enactors, I appreciate seeing a well presented living History set up as much as the next chap but for the love of common sense. What right does that give you to very publicly cast judgement on some blokey wearing some old kit be it at a show or a strip club.

Its dressing ups and is truly TRULY harmless. I take it there are those amongst, that would frown at my Jeep being slightly inauthentic and held together by a mish mash of old,French and modern bolts ?

i choose not to where a uniform wore it for 22years and still in uniform where what you like ive been told by my offer half that most people have not been in the miltary so dont no how to dress and its only pretend along with the rank so ive learnt to live with it but the medals if you have right to where find if not please dont as it offends a lot of vets

My medals compliment my sock-drawer nicely.....:-D......they have remained in their boxes of issue since given to me.....I haven't even opened the jiffy bag yet that's supposed to contain a Diamond Jubbly medal...........it's been in there since June.......

I think the bloke who is the subject of the discussion, is a complete idiot, and possibly even a WALT.

One can be forgiven for simply wearing just a camo jacket, or a greatcoat, or a combat jacket - after all, lots of this sort of stuff has been sold in military surplus stores since 1945.

However, to wear officers attire, or something that resembles officers attire, in a slovenly manner, and with incongruous medals attached, leaves one open to charges in most countries - and derision at the very least, if no charges can be pressed.

I earned my 5 medals and I only wear them on ANZAC day marches. Medals and uniforms that represent extensive training, experiences, skills, and qualifications, should not be treated with disdain, or with a casual attitude.

The WALTS page - http://www.anzmi.net/cases.html

At Beltring a few years back a guy wore a Ww2 Colonels uniform...ok.

BUT, he didn't wear a headdres and his eagles looked to the rear.

I didn't say anything but think I should have.

If wearing a officers uniform get it right and at least appear as if you are a officer.

Wearing medals you haven't earned should be frowned upon.

On class a its a bit difficult reagding unit citations also if displaying a 1945 unit in class A., some medals (ribbons) should be on it.

I prefer to wear a class A without ribbons, wings, CIB's etc.

Just a div patch and branche of service.

Wearing a gallantry medal or Purple Heart is a BIG no no to me if you haven't earned them.

Ranks, for re-enactment a neccesity but if you waer a Sergeants of officers rank you should be able and indeed act as one.