Quickest way to create Rust??

44GPW

Question

Yes i know this will sound like a very strange question, but i have some re-manufactured GS body brackets in steel that i would like to have the "pitted" look so it matches the rest of the original body fittings.

Whats the quickest way to get that rust pitted, aged look?

Richard

19 answers to this question

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

So if i go with the Fertlizer option, do i just submerge it in a bag and is it best to be dry, damp or wet?

How long do you rekon until the rust is so bad it leaves pitting after being cleaned?

Thanks

Richard

Like i said electrolysis. Connect to positive side as sacrificial anode while possibly cleaning some thing else. once desired amount of rusting pitting has occurred simply reverse current and it will clean back to good steel dry and wipe off and its ready for painting

I'd cover it in Battery acid.

Many years ago, i collected English Civil war artifacts, i had a nice original Helmet and front Breast plate, i had to buy a reproduction back plate and wanted to age it to match, I dug a hole in the garden, put some rock salt in the bottom, layed the new steel plate in then tipped more salt on and covered with earth. some months later i aquired an original 17th century back and forgot about the buried one.

5 years later my dad dug it up by mistake and it was like tissue paper and just fell apart. would have looked good on the Time Team !

SO DON'T LEAVE IT TOO LONG !!