My copy of a RAF Fordson armoured car

b2414

Hi here are the photos of the seats and seat belts. I used every thing I cud from the LDV except for the seats just in case the ministry wanted to have a look. It needs a clean-up inside and a re-paint but what you see is what it will look like until next year . ps I use a sat nave which tells me my speed as well as the speedo Cheers Bill int car 003.JPG

int car 001.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding project Bill, look forward to seeing this one day soon. My old man is ex Rockape, he should be in a museum as well :-)

You're going to have to pack a few sandbags to sit on once he gets going :-)

Edited to add, found this thread through the Friends of RAF Regt Museum Facebook page.

Fairplay mate ! I think what you have built is absolutely incredible ...really grand work and something to be very proud of :):):):) can't wait to see her finished off with paint and kit and all the bits and pieces done :) I will honestly really look forward to seeing her at a show in the future :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi sorry lads but thecar has taken a back seat the wife has had me building some decking for a hot tub and also making 6 cat pens in a new shed but I have made 3stocks for a copy of some Lewis guns and I have started on a Vickers I will putsome photos of them on in time. cheers bill :-)

tank3 003.JPG

Edited by b2414

recalling a thread on here a few months back and the implications of the VCR (?) act?????

what is the legal position regarding making 'replica' Lewis guns for her??? or come to that ...any other kind of 'replica' gun then ?

.....only asking ...because I've often thought of knocking out Sten replicas...

..I've got all the workshop machinery to do so and have had a good look at them ....and I reckon I could do a pretty good job but... I seem to recall someone on here suggesting it was a proper dark area legally to go into ???

recalling a thread on here a few months back and the implications of the VCR (?) act?????

what is the legal position regarding making 'replica' Lewis guns for her??? or come to that ...any other kind of 'replica' gun then ?

.....only asking ...because I've often thought of knocking out Sten replicas...

..I've got all the workshop machinery to do so and have had a good look at them ....and I reckon I could do a pretty good job but... I seem to recall someone on here suggesting it was a proper dark area legally to go into ???

Hi that’s a good question has I see it if you are a member of a club i.e MVT or any re-enactment club and you are allowed to buy a gun for that purpose ie a de-act or a reproduction then what is there to stop you making a none working gun for your own use?

As I see it the VCR act applies to us but mostly to people that are not members of clubs and the general public.

But If you wanted to sell them to the general public you would have to have proof of membership or paint them a bright orange to distinguish them from the real thing

This is a simple way of looking at this but how many have you heard that just built a gun for their own use and gone onto making them has a business but it all comes down to common sense . cheers bill :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the complements and the support from you all .

Well i started practising making a full scale model of the Vickers machine gun for my armoured car I only have 3 months to get ready for the first show so I thought I who’d make it in plastic to start with. I started with a 110mm x 3.2mm pvc pipe which I found I also used some 6mm plastic sheet which I had laying around the only thing I had to buy was some supper glue I have now got it to this stage. Now I have got the steel to start making one to look a bit more realistic I will keep you posted has thinks progress. Cheers bill

gun 008.JPG

That's not a bad Vicker's copy, Bill

For a VERY reasonable 9.99$US you can get a full set of plans, CAD drawings, etc. of the Vickers Machine Gun:

VickersMachineGun4_th.jpg

http://www.replicaplans.com/VickersMachineGun.html

I've bought other plans from this seller and they are top notch when building a replica firearm.

Good luck,

Goran N

That's not a bad Vicker's copy, Bill

For a VERY reasonable 9.99$US you can get a full set of plans, CAD drawings, etc. of the Vickers Machine Gun:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86508[/ATTACH]

http://www.replicaplans.com/VickersMachineGun.html

I've bought other plans from this seller and they are top notch when building a replica firearm.

Good luck,

Goran N

Thanks Goran that’s the plans I am using for this gun I had them printed to full scale I also have the plans for the Lewis gun that will be my next one after this. Cheers bill

Not bad prop for a plastic one, although when you do it in metal would it be possible to make the fluted type barrel jacket? As these seem to be more common than the flat type.

Do you have the plans to make a Boys rifle? I'm sure I had a basic diagram lying around somewhere otherwise I can measure one up for you. Likewise the Scarff ring for mounting the Lewis on (or if you'd prefer, twin Vickers K guns to give the police something to really worry about!) there must be diagrams for knocking those up.

Not bad prop for a plastic one, although when you do it in metal would it be possible to make the fluted type barrel jacket? As these seem to be more common than the flat type.

Do you have the plans to make a Boys rifle? I'm sure I had a basic diagram lying around somewhere otherwise I can measure one up for you. Likewise the Scarff ring for mounting the Lewis on (or if you'd prefer, twin Vickers K guns to give the police something to really worry about!) there must be diagrams for knocking those up.

Hi yes I hope to make a boys rifle but to save space inside the turret I was going to just make the barrel with a box on the end so that it could be gas fired if you could tell me the length of the barrel it would be most helpful .Has for the scarff ring I have search the internet from front to back looking for the dimensions the only thing I have found is when it was reg at the pattern office but it has no dimensions. As for the Vickers barrel to make the fluted type barrel jacket I would have to know the depth and how many they are to make it but any help that you can give me will be most appreciated. Cheers Bill :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

well its painted just a few more jobs to do and its ready for the YMVT show at York in may I have had inquires from Cleethorpes 1940s weekend for august and army day. also from the RAF for a photo shoot for a squadron photograph with there armour this has to be finalise yet it looks like I will be a busy man.:)