My copy of a RAF Fordson armoured car

b2414

Question what is acceptable as a military vehicle

If that vehicle is no longer in existence.

Is it like let’s say that now it no longer exists so they should not be any copies built

Ore can one be accepted if it is a exact copy as the original

Ore can it be a loose copy using modern running gear to show what this vehicle look like

The reason for this question is that I am building what will look like a 1940,s fordson armoured car

Using a 3.5 ton L.D.V. Chasse engine and all its running gear so that I can put it on the road to go to shows to show what the RAF regiment did in the war in Africa am I wasting my time ore not ? :help:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question what is acceptable as a military vehicle

If that vehicle is no longer in existence.

Is it like let’s say that now it no longer exists so they should not be any copies built

Ore can one be accepted if it is a exact copy as the original

Ore can it be a loose copy using modern running gear to show what this vehicle look like

The reason for this question is that I am building what will look like a 1940,s fordson armoured car

Using a 3.5 ton L.D.V. Chasse engine and all its running gear so that I can put it on the road to go to shows to show what the RAF regiment did in the war in Africa am I wasting my time ore not ? :help:

If the finished replica is as authentic as possible and no real examples exist to show how it was thats fine, there are quite a few replica German armoured cars about used by reenacting groups, alas we have seen some poor attempts at replicas often passed off as genuine ! There are some excellent replica mv's around, some usiing original bits from a wreck which was beyond saving.

This would be a good basis for a Fordson armoured car http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?23934-FORD-7-v-chassis-parts&p=262829#post262829

Edited by Nick Johns

Don't see a problem myself. That particular vehicle, I should think would be quite rare, as the Rolls Royce versions are. There is a replica Rolls Royce AC for sale used in Empire of the Sun. The RAF Regiment museum's Roller is a copy.

Plenty of 'pretend' Tigers and at least a few Stug's made out of 432's.

Do as some of the train boys do. We have two original bolts and a gauge, so its a rebuild not a replica! If it built to as near the original speca as possible I can see no problem. Most MV's over about ten years old have been rebuilt over their lives.

Hi thanks for the positive feed back I am just waiting for some rolled steel for the back and my turret making I have the turret ring and then I can make up the back of the car it will need bigger wheels 16s or 20s?

As for the guns I have just got a 1” to 1” full size plans set for the Vickers so that I can make it my self until I can afford a proper Vickers.

I have posted a photo of before and after just to show what it looks like I am hoping to have it on the road by the end of July this year.

The last photo is what a fordson look like during the war with all its gear on and I have been kindly given permission to use it by Glen Beavis from is web site www.rafregiment.net

v@r.JPG

r@r 068.jpg

r@r 067.JPG

123.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
just been looking at the pics (bw ones) of the armoured cars..... the roundel ontop would suggest early RAF Regiment 1ACS.
Hi i dont now but cud be from that time.

The photo that I have posted looks like the same cars you may be able to date them from there uniforms

In about 1940 the Rolls Royce chasse was changed to a ford and was known as a fordson

Hear is a link to a video link of some cars in action also you can see a lot of other vehicles that was used and also some downed aircraft on an airfield that was taken this maybe of interest to others. <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dj_UITL3G48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Bill.:nut:

RAF5.jpg

Edited by b2414

• 4 weeks later...

I think its a great idea/project!...all power to you!...

..I think some folk can get a bit anal over this kinda thing and its obvious enough that you're trying to get it as 'right' as possible so for what its worth from me ?...Bang on with it mate and looking forward to seeing the end result!..

..also...

The chances of most of us ever owning a real Sherman or Tiger or very rare Armoured Car etc etc are pretty much absolute zero.... so what the hell.......I've often though of building a small scale Sherman on something like a tracked dumper chassis....yeah yeah...I know it won't be 'real' but so what? I'd never be clown-ish enough to even vaguely attempt to pass it off as a 'real' Sherman so whats the problem?.....like I say 'some folk' hey!?

best of luck!

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Hi thanks for the comments I have up loaded some moor photos of the build you also say that you may like to build a small scale tank well go for it.

if any one is into making there own replica guns like the maxim / sten gun / Thompson / Browning machine gun / and large scale tanks and a lot moor then you may like to take a look at this web site www.john-tom.com this is where I got my plans for a 1 to1 scale for a maxim gun for £7.00 hope this is some help .

rr5 003.JPG

rr5 010.JPG

• 6 months later...
Whats the latest on the armoured car build???

:D

Alec.

This is just a update on my copy of a 1940s RAF Fordson armoured car

All the parts are made and just want putting on Iam just taking one gmc wheel to have thecentre changed to get the wheel archgaps correct

150.JPG

155.JPG

I would like to congratulate you on your enterprise. Please don't worry about making a replica - it would obviously wrong to pass it off as genuine - but as someone who likes to build bikes with different engines and specs we should be free to replicate anything for the joy of it. Also since many 'original' machines are either too precious or worn out to be paraded you are demonstrating a machine in action and moving to those of us who did not or could not see the 'originals' in action, which is the best way to enjoy them.

Have you got a means to get it to the Elvington show in May if it isn't finished? Would be interesting to see, even unfinished.

hi i was hoping to have it finished at the beginning of may to take it to the show if it was good enough

but no i have no transport to get it there other than putting it back on the road using the old log book

you are more than welcome to come and see it at any time as i only live at barnsley

pm for my address and telephone number if you want to see it

cheers bill

I tend to agree with others that a long as you don't pass it off as genuine but note is as a replica there is noting wrong with your worthy venture.

Who knows, with all the film work around you may even get a paid gig out of it.

The glory will be in the details, if you want a good answer, take a black and white picture of your finished vehicle and look at it compared to the black and white photos posted around the web, that is when the likeness will really come out.

What does the domestic partner think of it?

R

Hi Robin thanks for the idea of the black and white photo I will try it as for the wife she thinks I am mad but I like to make vehicles like kitcars, but for this I only had photos to go by and a line drawing so it will not be to scale .Cheers bill