FV432 Bulldog

sirhc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

apparently the lads in the Rifles are raving about them. There is more space inside than a Warrior or Saxon, the new engine and transmission means it is very nippy, and the add on armour has saved countless lives.

Actually, if you Look at the original concept that was marketed and the one on the streets of Basra you might be able to see how the MoD saved a few bob when procuring them.

It does make perfect sense to add or put on racks to stop RPG rockets from striking the tracks and the spaced armour to protect the hull , a remote control gun to hit the bad guy's without exposing a gunner to harm. Similar racks or barriers are on the Strikers AFV's . Beauty doesn't protect when you up against EFP's and IED's . Always the fight between having enough Protection and still have a mobile Vehicle.

its the pug uglyness that only the british army could develop lol but i wouldnt refuse one if they were giving it away

I'm fairly sure this modification is heavily influenced by the Israeli Zelda 2, which is a similar looking M113, It has the same corrugated add on armour. I'll attempt to find a snap to post - but actually I recommend the website

http://www.idfmodelling.free.fr which has a superb vehicle reference section. Lots to look at.

Tony B,

agree to a certain extent, but a big problem in the Sandpit is the cover available to insurgents - we should have a similar arrangement that tank squadrons had during WW2 when each troop had a Firefly to counter Panthers and Tigers - maybe we should have a 20mm armed Bulldog per company? Then the up-gunned Bulldog could make a hole for the Jimpy to be able to engage more clearly.

Ugly is universal. Take a look at the Strykers in Iraq covered in spaced armour and all kinds of junk. I mean, they look fantastic to me. But it can't be how the generals envisaged the Stryker brigades to look in their shiny world at home at the Pentagon. The Bulldog is a beast, but if it is doing the job, then hurrah!

I doubt if they'll go onto the collector market with all the bolt on stuff. They'll strip the things back to bare bones, surely?????? Unless they flog the lot to a banana republic.

Tony B,

agree to a certain extent, but a big problem in the Sandpit is the cover available to insurgents - we should have a similar arrangement that tank squadrons had during WW2 when each troop had a Firefly to counter Panthers and Tigers - maybe we should have a 20mm armed Bulldog per company? Then the up-gunned Bulldog could make a hole for the Jimpy to be able to engage more clearly.

have you read Sniper one yet? There's the boys that have been there and did it. The biggest grief seems to be some loony who will run up and let fly with an RPG at nought feet or a ten year old kid with a petrol bomb. even a Challenger is hard put when about 15 RPGs at fired at zero feet. Thank God we still haven't got to certains countrys attitudes of shoot everything and let God sort 'em out.

• 2 months later...