film: WAR HORSE

XWDV8

Well, let me say right of the bat that I'm a cold and heartless SOB and my good lady is an artistic sensitive lady of some charm.

She loved it, and it was our outing for her birthday.

Myself, I loved seeing Dartmoor again but the plot is thin. Quite a lot of detail militarily not that the era is my chosen area of interest.

For the ladies it is at most a two tissue event.

The fact that it was what my good lady wanted to see and I managed to stay awake through the whole thing it wasn't my cup of tea but she knew that.

Again not my era nor interest but I preferred Band of Brothers and Private Ryan far more.

R

Edited by robin craig

I really wanted to see the live show and have made the cubed one promise to take me to the film. Will take plenty of tissues!

Love from Rosie x

Rosie

You are obviously a very kind persom.

Most women would make their husbands promise to take them to see the show in London as it involves a few nights away.

Mike

I have been advised that some of the items used in filming of War Horse originate from New Zealand. Field guns, general service wagons, etc and trucks were shipped from NZ along with technical crew. At the completion of filming it was then all returned home to NZ. Another Peter Jackson involvement.

Doug:)

The Ministry 'stole' my great grandfathers horses. It was a bit like 'we don't care - there is a war on'. He was the village Blacksmith at Shedfield near Wickham in Hampshire. He would have to make 'millions' of shoes to go over to the front line.

Five houses are now built on the old forge - called ' Forge View' :(

The Ministry 'stole' my great grandfathers horses. It was a bit like 'we don't care - there is a war on'. He was the village Blacksmith at Shedfield near Wickham in Hampshire. He would have to make 'millions' of shoes to go over to the front line.

Five houses are now built on the old forge - called ' Forge View' :(

I recently read a book on farming in the West Country in bygone years and there was a bit in there about how quite a few 'horse haulage contractors' in the countryside would hide their horses during the first world war to foil the dreaded ministry man from confiscatiing them for the war effort....

....apparantly it was relatively common for these horse haulage chaps to have 'agreements' with any number of farmers and landowners to use any vacant barns/sheds/stables etc around the district to hide their animals in overnight so that they never stayed in one location for more than a few days.......dunno what happened in the daytime though when they had to come out of hiding to do their work !....

....they did apparantly get 'compensation ' for the confiscated horse off the government but it was never anywhere near enough to replace the animal.... especially seeing as how horses in general were in such short supply all over the country and none could be bought even if you had enough money.....especially a well trained draft horse used for ploughing or road haulage..

and ps:

it always makes me laugh how a developer will cut down an orchard to build a dozen new houses.... then call the new estate 'Orchard Close' :)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Pre the Great War, especially during the 'Excersise Season' August September, the military would hire horses off the railways.

I was invited to a dig near Thiepval a few years back. It was a pond caused by a mine exploded under a farmhouse that had been part of the Triple Alliance front line. Amongst the artifcats were parts of a civillian draught horse tack, including the collar. For those that don't know a draught horse collar, it is one of the finest works of leather made by man. All hand made, no machine could stich it, and the cost would have been the same as a small car now. A farm could not have worked without one. Yet it appers the family abndoned it. It really brought home to me the cost of war.

Rosie

You are obviously a very kind persom.

Most women would make their husbands promise to take them to see the show in London as it involves a few nights away.

Mike

Yeah but that would involve finding babysitters, time off work and loads of wonga!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just be happy to go to the cinema one evening to be honest!!!!!

Love from Rosie x

The Ministry 'stole' my great grandfathers horses. It was a bit like 'we don't care - there is a war on'. He was the village Blacksmith at Shedfield near Wickham in Hampshire.....

Erm - isn't Shedfield in Tentshire? :-D

Edited by N.O.S.

Yeah but that would involve finding babysitters, time off work and loads of wonga!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just be happy to go to the cinema one evening to be honest!!!!!

Love from Rosie x

Plenty of tissues then? I know a bunch of the local Horsey Females went to see the live show. Pumps were rushed in from all over London!

:cool2:

Pre the Great War, especially during the 'Excersise Season' August September, the military would hire horses off the railways.

I was invited to a dig near Thiepval a few years back. It was a pond caused by a mine exploded under a farmhouse that had been part of the Triple Alliance front line. Amongst the artifcats were parts of a civillian draught horse tack, including the collar. For those that don't know a draught horse collar, it is one of the finest works of leather made by man. All hand made, no machine could stich it, and the cost would have been the same as a small car now. A farm could not have worked without one. Yet it appers the family abndoned it. It really brought home to me the cost of war.

Tony

Can you explain what you mean by the Triple Alliance front line please ?

Bob

The Triple alliance was Germany and Austria and Hungary and intially Italy. As Austria and Hungary were ruled by the same Hapsburg family, it was also known as the Dual Monarchy. Germany at the start of the Great War was really the new kid on the block, only coming into existence following the Franco -Prussian war of 1871. In many ways, that was the Franco Prussian that started the slow fuse leading to the Great War. Italy decided it didn't want to play, so in 1915 declared support for Britain and France, much to Germany and Austro-Hungarys disgust. But the name Triple Alliance stuck.

Edited by Tony B

I was a bit disappointed in the tittle saying war horse and there's not one Geordie in the film . :)

Telling fibs there . I'm looking forward to seeing this . Would rather watch it a home snuggled up with the little lady .

Not sure if people have noticed the mk1 tank on youtube and the truck on sale on milweb from the film .

Just returned from seeing this. Unfortunately, we were lucky enough to see the stage version first. This film reminded me of "Babe" for quite a while........have enjoyed other Spielberg films but this one didn't do it for me apart from towards the end in the "Somme" bit. I shall add that I have had horses most of my life so im not hard faced!

But go and see what you make of it,perhaps I'm picky...........

Just returned from seeing this. Unfortunately, we were lucky enough to see the stage version first. This film reminded me of "Babe" for quite a while........have enjoyed other Spielberg films but this one didn't do it for me apart from towards the end in the "Somme" bit. I shall add that I have had horses most of my life so im not hard faced!

But go and see what you make of it,perhaps I'm picky...........

did feel the same but then had time to think...its not a war film... its about True friendship