RFC Tender Trailer

Charawacky

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve,

Quality is poor as I have lost my camera and the image has been taken on a phone camera

I will take some relevant pictures next week.

Again looking at previous posts and interrogating the web found that three other companies produced aeroplane trailers.

E and H Hora London as mentioned by Runflat and also Lacre as speculated by Reherring, amazing!

Commercial Motor July 1916

The light two-wheeled trailers, as used to convey aeroplanes, should have other applications commercially. You can get quotations from the Lacre Motor Car Co. Ltd., 78, York Road, N., E. and H. Hora, Ltd., Peckham Road, S.E., or B. N: Taylor, 4, Rosemont Road, Finchley Road, N.W. '

Also

The Wheels of Industry.  3rd December 1914  The Commercial Motor Archive -.jpg

Hora's Trailer.

The actual photograph reproduced on this page is of an interesting type of aeroplane trailer, of which large batches are being built for the Admiralty by E. and H Hora, Ltd. Other trailers have been built with box sides, open tops and ends, and wire wheels with Warland rims. The platform and axle width of the latest type is stated to be ample to carry two biplanes in sections. The photograph shows one of the first batches

This trailer is early, recessed boarding and without metal capping joint stiffeners, also missing splashboards.

I still cannot understand just what is going on between the wheels above the axle.

Here is a nice piki

600335_418491871584251_538389842_n.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Hi Steve,

I still cannot understand just what is going on between the wheels above the axle.

I've made this comment recently on the Thorny thread - you might be over-solving this particular riddle. :angel:

In that particular location, pretty much the only thing those tabs and links can be for is to tie something up,or tie it down. Axle? Engine? something else?

If I look at the trailer, and it does look very nice, the other thing that strikes me is that it has a deck fore and aft, but a gap over the axle in the area where those brackets are. They have to be tie-up or tie-down brackets of some kind.

As you have guessed I have spent some hours trying to figure out what the brackets are for, this has been under consideration for some months as outlined in previous posts

The open centre section is no doubt there to assist lashing of the aeroplane.

Some images have temporary boarding so the trailer could be used as a coffin carrier.

For me the brackets form a cradle each side of the draw bar tube perhaps for additional stowage boxes or tailplane support boxes the as seen on a number of images with aircraft.

I have attached images along with corresponding drawings done today showing what I believe the brackets look like (in Grey).

There are also two sets of chains adjacent to each bracket?

Any ideas for consideration please.

View on centre section

TrAILER.jpg

View from underside

Rear_View.jpg

Here is an image with the chains local to the brackets which can be seen if you look carefully

74300756-1.jpg

Any ideas?

Tom

The Wheels of Industry.  3rd December 1914  The Commercial Motor Archive -.jpg

Underside-p187bibcv26of4o01oaikc51cr1.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Tom maybe a note to Peter Jackson's (film director fame) crew in NZ may come up with something. Given your undoubted expertise in matters RFC MT etc. you may arrange a contra deal or trade or maybe some good film prop advice at the very least. They have a very professional site. You never know if you don't ask as they say!! ....Rod http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up re Peter Jackson.

Here are some images taken this weekend prior to painting and without mudguards.

Still some detail work to do to complete.

If you look at the lower image you will see the telescopic draw bar at its shortest with the extra over and beyond the rear axle.

It looks so simple yet has taken an inordinate amount of time to go from period images to an accurate working example.

Tom

2009-01-01 00.00.00-019.jpg

2009-01-01 00.00.00-006.jpg

2009-01-01 00.00.00-16.jpg

2009-01-01 00.00.00-18.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Might the chains be to hold wheel chocks?

The Chains are still a mystery.

Chocks would be a good idea.

The images I have show well used trailers where any unnecessary, superfluous parts which could be more useful elsewhere would go missing soon after deployment!

Chocks would fall into this category and so I would be lucky to find a trailer image with chocks still attached.

The brackets between the wheels I am now thinking are to take Lewis Gun Transit boxes.

British aircraft were often fitted with this type of gun and the box dimensions correspond to the available space.

You never see a box in situ, as most photos have German planes. It of course is difficult to see a box in this position anyway.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

Thank you for your postings

Can anyone help with correct markings?

Few have visible marks here are the most interesting.

Tom

Marking.jpg

Looks like: H2 FLIGHT 988 ?

Underside-p187bibcv26of4o01oaikc51cr1.jpg

Rear trailer number 20

74300757-001.jpg

220 on Reinforcement plate

CCF08112012_00002.jpg

Triangle within circle? on mudguard

Comments please

Tom

The chains look very like the type used to attach braking wedges on horse drawn vehicles. The wedge fits under the wheel and drags going down hill, and stops rollback if going up hill.

That is what I was thinking as well. But where is the wedge? Surely it would be stored on the trailer somewhere.

H2 FLIGHT 988

Here are two sources of basic information I have come across:

It will be observed that most of the Lorries and Tenders are in groups of three or multiples of three—due to the fact that the transport is thus entirely separate for each of the three flights.

The composition of an RFC squadron varied depending on its designated role, although the Commanding Officer was usually a Major (in a largely non-operational role), with the Squadron 'Flights' (annotated A, B, C etc.) the basic tactical and operational unit, each commanded by a Captain

988 is the trailer number, seems plausible

FLIGHT looks good

H2 here is the problem

Any ideas what H2 actually says bearing in mind the above?

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Good call,

I will go along with

HQ FLIGHT 988

until an alternative comes along.

Now what number is my trailer to be?

Tom

Update: Q it is!

Here is a quote from a recent RAF paper I read tonight:

From its inception, the RFC was intended to be employed in direct support of the Navy and the Army. Not only was the organisation of the Military Wing of the RFC tailored for deployed operations alongside the Expeditionary Force, but the flight and squadron system was specifically chosen to provide for flexibility and ease of handling in the field.

Each squadron comprising three flights of four aeroplanes and a headquarters flight was to be a homogeneous unit, with its own field repair stores, and transport services, and self-contained and could be detached for short periods. This organisation survived the test of two world wars and is still recognisable today.

Just keep digging until you find what you want to read!

Tom