RFC Tender Trailer

Charawacky

Regards your thoughts as to participation in a 2018 parade. Do you think the constabulary in 2018 will show as much attention, as to those shown in the 1918 photos,

I could imagine them prior to event ( like getting there) pulling you over. Their rule book now is a lot fatter and bound to be seen as;

an unsafe load,

uncertified tow coupling.

over length

no lights or indicators.

etc,etc.

Aside from those minor hick-ups the concept of reproducing events as in an earlier parade has so much merit.

Similar thoughts for recreating events from this side of the world. On the look out for a set of wings to fit along the sides of the restored RFC Leyland.

Doug:-\

Leyland  aircraft carry RAF alt eml 041.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only just twigged the relevance of this letter, which I previously posted in the water cart restoration thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56199[/ATTACH]

just been studying the letter in more detail

The steel tubular perches referred to must be the tubular triangulated supports each end of the trailer?

Tom

Tony

When you said prop I thought you meant propeller not a film prop! looks very interesting.

Here an interesting couple of pictures from the lords mayors parade in say 1917/18.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56521[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56523[/ATTACH]

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/lord-mayors-show-part-2

Will we be invited to the 2018 parade?

Not a bad idea actually

What do you think?

Tom

Quite possible. The 2014 is of course closer.

The virtual build is well ahead of the actual build!

Still a lot of detail to determine from the 30 or so photographs of these trailers which are petty consistent in design.I am unsure as to how well they coped with the ever increasing size and weight of aircraft through the war years as the engines went from 70 to 400 hp and the weights from 350 kg to over 1000kg.

Here is the state of play

:Trailer assembly 5.JPG

Trailer assembly 3.JPG

Trailer assembly 7.JPG

Tom, a snippet from Cooper's Vehicle Journal, April 1916: We hear that Messers. E. & H. Hora Ltd. have received a contract from the Government for 100 of the latest form of areoplane trailers.

Not much to go on, and it could refer to something completely different to what you are building.

Yes Tom, the 2 you posted are duplicated on the AWM site and there are three others from memory and given the different wheel configuration on the Crossley (apart from other similarities) they would all be of the same event including the one I posted from the ebay Album auction. The original album owner was in the Dental corps according to the description.

I believe the event occurred in Oct. 1917 however and most unfortunately there are no existing War Diaries for the 1st Sqn. AFC (67 Sqn on the RFC books) before Jan 1918 so it is not possible to check details of the recovery etc. Rod

• 5 weeks later...

GA 3D drawing is nearly complete all parts designed.

Shackles currently wrong way round!

Toolbox, rope hooks and tender spare carrier added

shackle pins yet to draw.

Just got to turn 88 Design drawings into manufacturing drawings

As usual much, much more to these projects than meets the eye.

'Lottery awards for all'

Saw this

http://www.hlf.org.uk/HowToApply/whatwefund/FirstWorldWar/Documents/Remembering_FWW_leaflet.pdf

⬆ conserve artefacts, military vehicles or historic documents, and help people understand them.

So asked if I could be supported and was turned down as I was not a 'not-for-profit organisation'

rather a loss making organisation as I explained.

The axle is made and the wood wheels are 'in manufacture' I am told by the wheelwright.

The oily wood has arrived and smells lovely (New Pitch Pine)

I keep doing a bit each week so should be complete by 2014 which is getting closer :-)

Tom

Picture 5.jpg

Picture 1.JPG

Picture 2.JPG

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

• 4 weeks later...
I have been looking at the Warland system as used on silver ghosts, this system appears to be the same as the period photos.

Tom, you may be interested in this letter from The Motor World, January 24, 1918, confirming the use of Warlands on these trailers:

Sir, An article in a recent issue of The Motor World suggets that wood wheels on motor vehicles operating in war areas have failed.

We have no exclusive interest in wood wheels (although our wood-wheel plant has been described as the most extensive and best organised factory in this country) since, our special concern being the maufacture of a quick-detachable rim, equally applicable to wood, steel, or wire wheels, we are almost as much affected by the one as the other.

Obviously, therefore, although we are not a disinterested party, we are rather more disinterested than manufacturers associated exclusively with a particular brand of wheel. Our position may, in these circumstances, justify a reference in your columns to the alleged case against the wood wheel and the implied championship of a certain form of detachable wheel not made of wood.

What we desire to point out in this connection is that, although we have made thousands of wood wheels, and have equipped these and thousands of other wood wheels with Warland Dual rims; and although these range from light aeroplane trailer wheels to the heaviest twin pneumatic-tyred wheels for armoured cars and other weighty military vehicles, we have no record of a failure, either of our rim or of the wooden wheel to which it was fitted.

That, naturally, appeals to us, and, we suppose, will appeal to most other people, as fairly satisfactory evidence in favour of the efficiency of wood wheels under the strenuous conditions of war. It is certainly not evidence in support of the assertions of non-wood-wheel exponents...

THE WARLAND DUAL RIM CO. LTD

Hello Runflat,

Good information especially as in the end I decided to adopt the Warland system for the wheels

I have been in contact with Andrew Warland who is a descendant of the business and lives in Australia.

He was able to send a later patent for steel constructed wheel which helped me to decipher the details of the wood wheel system which is now partly made.

Things have stalled a bit at the wheelwrights because he is finishing other peoples projects.

I am getting closer with the detail drawings whilst learning the 3D solidworks drawing package 'on the job'.

My aim is to get together all the materials I need and as many bought parts as possible before next winter when I can start putting things together.

Life moves on so fast, 2014 will be here sooner than I anticipated!

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

I came across this website the other day. It takes a bit of working out and there appear to be many gaps but a quick search of 'warland' produced 3 results for Warland Dual Rim Company, being 1912, 1913, 1916. Open the file you want, then select 'original document' on in the box on the left. In the original document select 'download' and hey presto a PDF of the original patent arrives. The 1912 one appears to be unavailable, but the other two are.

The search engine seems to be quite specific in that you need to experiment a bit on search words. e.g. searching 'scammell' produced few results whereas using 'O D North' and 'P G Hugh' in combination with 'scammell' produced better. Curiously searching Percy Hugh produced little as did Percy G Hugh, but 'Percy Garibaldi Hugh' did produce decent results. I ended up spending hours playing with different search words and combinations but did end up with some good stuff.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The US trailer picture - is the plane the motive force?

The project is sort of progressing, 1 step forward 2 back

Sat down with the wheelwright and went through the drawings and collection of photos only to agreed between us I have missed some members, so yet more pitch pine.

Good thing I had not cut any wood yet, although I will have to commit to the design soon.

I am trying to keep my wood as long a possible for as long as possible.

I also have discovered additional metal flitching which is now so obvious on all photos, but was not there before!

The road springs and draw-bar rest spring have now been manufactured.

There are now 4 new tyres for the project which I hope to get fitted before Christmas and fit up with the Warland wheel system.

I intend to complete all metalwork before cutting any wood.

According to the solidworks CAD package each fitted up dual wheel will weigh in at nearly 90 Kg which may not seem much to a military man, however it is impossible for one to lift and the total unladen weight of the trailer is approaching 600 Kg so with two wheel tender brakes I am apprehensive.

Here is an old Leyland with trailer, possibly an RAF Leylandicon12.png

And carrying a Crossley axle?

Tom047.JPG

Edited by Charawacky

Fabulous looking wheels. How old is your wheelwright?

According to the solidworks CAD package each fitted up dual wheel will weigh in at nearly 90 Kg which may not seem much to a military man, however it is impossible for one to lift and the total unladen weight of the trailer is approaching 600 Kg so with two wheel tender brakes I am apprehensive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69343[/ATTACH]

Yes, i can see your concern.

Post Great War those 36 & 40HP RAF Leylands were the mainstay of heavy trucking in some parts of Australia. They hauled loads far in excess, I suspect, of their design limit, up and down steep tracks, with just engine, rear wheel and transmission braking. The White was another popular log-hauler.

If it's of any interest these trailers were known post 1918 as the Mk1 for the extensible version and Mk1A for the fixed 21ft version. They were also fitted with pneumatic tyres sometime between their introduction and the RAF sorting out their nomenclature system.

A couple of images that may well assist your deliberations. Regards...Rod

Thanks for posting.

With each picture I learn a little more:

The first Picture appears to show the situation just prior to loading in the field or rather sand

The trailer is parked on a slope so loading will be on the level along the extended draw-bar.

There are 15 or 16 men waiting to manually load the plane

The wings have been removed ready for shipment.

The second Picture is after loading

Looks like I will need to construct 2 trailers to transport one plane!

Tom