RFC Tender Trailer

Charawacky

LacreWW1sm.jpg

There is a fellow in Australia who recently found a very early Lacre chassis. That renewed my interest in the marque. I found this photo on a site called drewry.net. The design of the trailer looks remarkably like familiar in some ways? If this photo predates WW1 could this trailer be a precursor? Or am I swinging at shadows?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the basis the you never have too much of a good thing i found these amongst the RAF Museum collection while looking at tenders. A couple have been shown before i'm sure:

145.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

031.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

P001537.jpg

003.jpg

And to show the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude of the RAF, the same trailer type in use in 1937:

195.jpg

I kept a print out just in case something like this was asked.

Leyland Lorry? 35739 towing recovery trailer with wreckage of Sopwith Snipe, Germany, 1919

It's also tagged Australian Flying Corps, so i assumed it's one of their Snipes.

As a trailer anorak I have the following notes on this excellent set of photographs:

Thanks very much for posting them.

Image 1

Shows an archetypal trailer with rounded metal mudguards and wood wheels with what may be the towing vehicle to the left, most probably a 3 tonner judging by the height.

Image 2 & 3

These are unusual in that they are photos of moving vehicles

Image 4

The fourth picture is superb, a Leyland with odd front wheels, one disc and one with spokes. The trailer is a standard pattern missing its metal mudguards, heavily loaded with the draw-bar to chassis mounting showing signs of weakness I believe this was addressed by extending the draw-bar to the transverse wood shackle beams on later trailers . The front prop (stand) can be clearly seen, as can the open, built in toolbox on the n/s of the draw-bar.

Image 5

Judging by rear axle profile this is a Leyland towing a completely different later type of trailer. Possibly an all metal, longer trailer with single wheels and fitted with hinged out riggers, deeper section side under-struts, mounted above spring shackles rather than along side. Front and rear drop down props of rectangular section and rear mounted toolbox. Is this image post WW1?

Image 6

Another Leyland with the two slightly differing pattern WW1 trailers both with usual wood wheels, principle difference is splashguard mounting. The loaded trailer has metal mudguards mounted with metal bar stays where as the unloaded trailer has simple wood splashboards fixed over the extended transverse wood shackle beams, offside board missing.

Image 7

Post war RAF markings, Fantastic, Lovely Picture, typical trailer but the first one I have seen with wire wheels and spinners, quickly interchangeable with the wheels from the unusually bodied flatbed Crossley Tender. Trailer is level with tender which is usual, wires would have been more expensive and the trailer would have been designed to be towed specifically by a tender so to me the trailer feels to be early.

Image 8

First image where I can see the double thickness of main structural runners, fitted with splashboards rather than mudguards.

Image 9

I feel this trailer will soon be broken! With Hawker Demon Mk1 at twice the weight of a Albatross I feel sorry for it! Looks like all metal construction trailer, side struts above shackles not along side, different props and what looks like a tubular transverse member at the front.

Observations of a budding trailer designer

Most of the above is supposition, I would love to hear any addition information on this subject for obvious reasons, I would now have considered building the trailer with wires rather than wood wheels.

Tom

Underside1.jpg

GA1.jpg

side11.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Progress on the trailer is moving along slowly, Spent today making the tie angles which bridge from one end to the other under the spring hangers. Toolbox metal structure is also nearly complete.

Trailer Drg-page-0.jpg

There is one aspect of the design I cannot understand:

I attach images showing glimpses of vertical flat brackets and chains within the chassis rails above the axle.

Originally I thought these were to restrain the axle to prevent the shackles going over centre

Now I am not so sure -

Any ideas out there?

Tom

D00435--1-1.jpg

74300756-1.jpg

74407447.tif.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a picture of an unusual trailer cut down from an aircraft recovery trailer.

P00826.261 NAMUR, BELGIUM. 1919-03-01. ONE OF THE LEYLAND LORRIES AND TRAILER OF THE NO 4 SQUADR.jpg

NAMUR, BELGIUM. 1919-03-01. ONE OF THE LEYLAND LORRIES AND TRAILER OF THE NO 4 SQUADRON, AUSTRALIAN FLYING CORPS, CONVOY FROM COLOGNE TO LE HAVRE RESTS BESIDE THE ROAD.

• 1 month later...
I've only just twigged the relevance of this letter, which I previously posted in the water cart restoration thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56199[/ATTACH]

Hi Runflat

Trailer will be assembled next week, my attention is turning to the label / plate details and sourcing a replica fuselage! so am revisiting past posts which has prompted me to find this.

London Gazette 18th March 1921

In the Matter of GRICE & HARRISON Limited.

AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of the

Members of the above named Company, duly

convened, and held at Hope Works, Sherbornestreet,

Birmingham, on Thursday, the 10th day of

March, 1921, the following Extraordinary Resolution

was duly passed, viz. :—

" That it has been proved to the satisfaction of this

Meeting that the Company cannot, by reason of its

liabilities, continue its business, and that it is advisable

to wind up the same, and accordingly that the

Company be wound up voluntarily; and that Mr. T.

Ireland, of Messrs. Harrison, West, Ledsam and Co,,

of 16, Waterloo-street, Birmingham, be and he is

hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such

winding-up."

Dated this sixteenth day of March, 1921.

WILLIAM HARRISON, Chairman

I guess this was the fate of many a successful wartime contractor unable to survive on civilian work post war.

I've only just twigged the relevance of this letter, which I previously posted in the water cart restoration thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56199[/ATTACH]

Done some work on the Company Logo which I may use as a hub cap stamp

I think this is what it should look like, the original stamp on the letter is not very distinct.

See attachment above - top left hand corner of letter

Grice & Harrison Logo.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

How will you transfer the logo to the hub cap? Photo etching or engraving perhaps? It does look good!

Cheers!

Steve

First engrave on copper

Then spark erode hardened steel stamp using copper engraving

Then stamp brass with hardened steel stamp tool.

I have not had the engraver make such a complex item before so it will be interesting to see if he can achieve it.

The logo was generated by colouring in and erasing pixel by pixel an electronic copy of the logo- quite a few hours work.

Tom