RFC Tender Trailer

Charawacky

Markings

Can anyone please explain the round white circle on the Leyland rear and the trailer mudguard:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84748[/ATTACH]

Looking at the Leyland, the rear section of the canvas cover is split up the centre.

Was this standard, as other photos ( of army trucks) shows the rear canvas as a single piece. Could this have been a RFC type in the same manner as having access through a side door to the front section of the body and a opening there in the canvas.

Doug

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markings

Can anyone please explain the round white circle on the Leyland rear and the trailer mudguard:

Given that some black and white film appears to show different colours than you expect, could it actually be a red/blue roundel? The RFC/RAF used such roundels on some aircraft during the war

• 2 weeks later...

That's nice - and not even the RAF Museum have one!

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ seems a good place to start if you decide to follow Bob's suggestion above

What's the position with regard to lighting on "heritage" trailers - is it "as built" - or do they have to conform to current standards?

Edited by simon king

Thank your for your kind comments

I have just read the thread to remind me of what was required to get to this point and realise it has spread over two and half years plus, to research, scale, develop the design, draw, redraw and build the trailer, in fact equivalent to about half the duration of the Great War. This really makes me think how much was done in such a short time for the war effort.

The design has been developed from a dozen or so useful photographs out of a total of 61 where a trailer could be seen somewhere on the image, each of the dozen giving more confirmation of an idea I though I could see. Thanks to all those from who I begged an image and who gave me some direction.

The last change in design was a result of image from October this year - post no 77 which showed detail of a feature which had been perplexing me for some time which I now think could be to hold Lewis gun transit chests.

There are a few things to complete such as hub etching and trailer marks which I may get round to some day, however the most pressing item now is to secure a fuselage to the trailer.

I think this is going to be possible and if so I could replicate the Querrieu image below (by pretending to be a heavy tender) especially as I am based only 13 minutes away at Gilsy Aerodrome later in August / September for http://www.centenaire-aerien-somme14-18.fr/.

The location of most images is unknown see if you agree with my matching.

Tom

now.jpg

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=querrieu&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47e788e266541ead:0x40af13e8161fbc0,Querrieu,+France&gl=uk&ei=qd3FUqfHOIfS0QWNrYDADw&ved=0CKwBELYD

24.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

• 9 months later...
Thank your for your kind comments

I have just read the thread to remind me of what was required to get to this point and realise it has spread over two and half years plus, to research, scale, develop the design, draw, redraw and build the trailer, in fact equivalent to about half the duration of the Great War. This really makes me think how much was done in such a short time for the war effort.

The design has been developed from a dozen or so useful photographs out of a total of 61 where a trailer could be seen somewhere on the image, each of the dozen giving more confirmation of an idea I though I could see. Thanks to all those from who I begged an image and who gave me some direction.

The last change in design was a result of image from October this year - post no 77 which showed detail of a feature which had been perplexing me for some time which I now think could be to hold Lewis gun transit chests.

There are a few things to complete such as hub etching and trailer marks which I may get round to some day, however the most pressing item now is to secure a fuselage to the trailer.

I think this is going to be possible and if so I could replicate the Querrieu image below (by pretending to be a heavy tender) especially as I am based only 13 minutes away at Gilsy Aerodrome later in August / September for http://www.centenaire-aerien-somme14-18.fr/.

The location of most images is unknown see if you agree with my matching.

Tom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85632[/ATTACH]

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=querrieu&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47e788e266541ead:0x40af13e8161fbc0,Querrieu,+France&gl=uk&ei=qd3FUqfHOIfS0QWNrYDADw&ved=0CKwBELYD

Visited Querrieu this September and took the opportunity to photograph:

E02341--1-.jpg

2014-09-12 16.15.03.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Maybe a wing or two may be an easier task/trailer load in the short term per the set up in the attached image. Rod

well...it wouldn`t have helped it much....the BE2...or the "querk" as it was known as ...was a bit of a flying joke really....took very heavy losses during `bloody april`.....nope, the best place for it is definately on the ground...

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't dismiss the Be2 so fast - it was very good at what it was designed for.

It just wasn't designed for aircraft vs aircraft fighting and sadly they kept using them for years after it was obvious that air warfare had evolved........

However, there are some in the country that might be available to be towed/disassembled -

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk

This pair just moved to Bicester.

Very interesting photos; I always enjoy the callenge of identifying the aircraft types!

I didn't recognise the aircraft in the Querrieu photo but that biplane tail arrangement is pretty unique in a relatively small aircraft and identifies it as a Hannover CL.II, CL. III or CL IIIa (impossible to say which just from the photo of the fuselage, as the main differences were in the engine and wings). I had hoped that differences in the tailplane struts might provide a clue, however I have since found enough photographic evidence to demonstrate that either arrangement could be fitted to both CL.II and CLIII, so no help.

image.jpg

There's not a lot to go on in the East African photo with just the nose peeping out but again, there's a pretty distinctive feature in the double nose wheel; the shape of the nacelle suggested Farman to me, and so it proves: it's a Farman H.F. 27, as used by 26 (South Africa) Squadron, RFC, during the East African campaign.

image.jpg

Edited by mtskull

I make no apologies for posting this none military vehicle, I just had to share it, any one with engineering at heart cannot fail to be amazed at the proportions. FIAT were a formidable force in the European motor industry up and during WW1.

Duncan Pitaway starting his 28 litre 4 cylinder 130 mph FIAT for the first time on Friday.

https://polklemmeblogs.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/nice-sound-fiat-s-76/

I hope you enjoy it.

Tom

I think we'll let you away with that. Heck of an engine for that size of frame, you could hold the engine steady and just spin the car round it. :blush:

Of course if you were talking interesting machines that WW2 prevented the development of...

http://bugatti100p.com

I make no apologies for posting this none military vehicle, I just had to share it, any one with engineering at heart cannot fail to be amazed at the proportions. FIAT were a formidable force in the European motor industry up and during WW1.

Duncan Pitaway starting his 28 litre 4 cylinder 130 mph FIAT for the first time on Friday.

https://polklemmeblogs.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/nice-sound-fiat-s-76/

I hope you enjoy it.

Tom

I VERY much enjoyed that....

• 3 weeks later...
I wouldn't dismiss the Be2 so fast - it was very good at what it was designed for.

It just wasn't designed for aircraft vs aircraft fighting and sadly they kept using them for years after it was obvious that air warfare had evolved........

However, there are some in the country that might be available to be towed/disassembled -

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk

This pair just moved to Bicester.

Not surprisingly there was an inquiry into why such hoplessly obsolete aircraft were still at the front.

one of the main drawbacks with the Be2 was that in order to maintain its centre of gravity it required the layout of the observer sitting in front of the pilot. This coupled with extensive wire bracing for the high bay wings...and its poor climb rate & altitude performance left it very vulnerable to attack...particularly from below and to the rear...where the observer had to stand up and fire over the pilots head to the rear....

If bombs were to be carried then the observer had to be left at the airfield.

It did enjoy a brief new lease of life though protecting London on the home front.

Albert Ball summed it up as a "bloody awful aeroplane" ....although it did have inherent stability....a good quality for observation and aerial photography duties etc..

Although none military, here is a lovely panoramic image of an early very unusual lorry recovering a Bleriot aircraft.

This is Drexel's aircraft which was attending the Scottish International Aviation Meeting at Lanark on the 12th of August 1910 when after setting the world altitude record of 6,750 feet in his Bleroit monoplane fitted with a 7 cylinder 50 hp Gnome engine.

He was forced to land at Cobbinshaw some distance from Lanark having run out of fuel.

The recovery lorry is very interesting as the manufacturer went out of business in 1914 so they probbly did not supply the military.

Any Suggestions?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99673[/ATTACH]

Edited by Charawacky

Tom the latest edition of an Australian quarterly Aviation magazine called "Flightpath" contains an article that will interest you. Article is titled 'From Palestine to Bull Creek' - the latter being the site of the Aviation Heritage Museum of West Australia (Perth). Material is from donated records and an album of images related to the downing and capture of an Albatross by members of the 1st Sqn. AFC and the 9th LH. Researcher's name is Mike Mirkovic. Great pic of a crossley trailer combo towing the wingless Albatross plus another of the trailer from the other side. Don't recall seeing these images before. Surprising what the centenary is pulling from the woodwork! Don't know if said magazine is available in the UK so PM me if you require details. Rod