Oiling via a grease Nipple

ajmac

In modern use a grease nipple in my experience has been used to inject grease inside a void, however the use of grease on my Ford enclosed propshaft which connects the gearbox to the Torque tube on the Loyd Carrier seemed different, how can grease lubricate a UJ when it's not in contact with it, to be in contact you would have to have kgs of the stuff to pack the entire UJ enclosure. Checking the wartime 'Table of Lubricants', grease is only used in one place, on the clutch release bearing, all other grease nipples should be used to fill with 'Hypoid 90' oil, for which I will be using EP90.

Question is, how do you inject oil through a grease nipple, I have only ever used a grease gun, what does an oil gun look like? :-)

On the propshaft UJs I presume I need enough oil in the prop casing to submerge the uj up to the lip of the casing so that it all gets splash fed....just the thought of it....bloody felt seals, there is going to be oil everywhere when in use!

NB: When I stripped the UJ enclosure from the wreck it was full of grease, but did also smell of EP90......

Edited by ajmac

An oil gun is similar to a grease gun but uses a different nipple. There are two types I have come across, a spherical gun end that mates with a concave nipple and the opposite which mates with a convex nipple, similar to a grease nipple but it is not retained by the gun end, the injection pressure being less than a grease gun.

The oil gun is operated merely by the user pushing it toward the nipple.

Thanks Adrian.

Don't worry there isn't a single brass item on the carrier, oh, the clutch cross shaft has brass bushes and the hand brake lever, but that's your lot. Having said all that I was under the impression that 'Hypoid 90' was indeed EP90, the EP standing for Extream Pressure as is present at the mesh point of the gears.

Just did a quick search on the forum and SAE140 is a replacement for C600 which is spec'd for the Ford 4spd Gearbox.

Edited by ajmac

I seem to remember from when I was a kid that Bedford TK's have an oil nipple on the steering box. My annoyed dad told me after I had been spending some time pumping grease into it...............(my dad had a haulage company)

That's correct. There is an oil grease nipple on my MJ steering box. Never been able to top it up as I've not seen an oil gun for sale anywhere.

Agreed.

I use an old cab-tilt pump from a lorry, with the oil nipple on the end of a length of 1/8 hydraulic hose. Works fine, just top it up after you use it each time!

Great for trunnions on 1500 spitfires.......... :cool2:

Alec.

ISTR the original "lubrication nipples" were of oil or grease type (not serving both applications) ,arguably I suppose first manufactured by ZERK - the rest being a copy of various quality. Most of the OIL guns I have come across are the Rom-Pom type that has a fitting that can not be locked on , at least you don't have to de-pressurize with a valve. Grease guns - tried a few , most are useless , Tecalemit & Wanner for me have been the best, but I would not try oil inside..

Edited by ruxy
speling

ISTR the original "lubrication nipples" were of oil or grease type (not serving both applications) ,arguably I suppose first manufactured by ZERK - the rest being a copy of various quality. Most of the OIL guns I have come across are the Rom-Pom type that has a fitting that can not be locked on , at least you don't have to de-pressurize with a valve. Grease guns - tried a few , most are useless , Tecalemit & Wanner for me have been the best, but I would not try oil inside..

In my long experience of working on MV's, there are a lot of applications where oil is inserted via nipples, notably suspension joints on Saracen, Fox armoured vehicles, some trucks have gear oil specified for spring shackles, Bedford steering boxes, etc. At workshops we had Tecalemit pumps for oil and I have used normal grease guns which were made to use oil or grease in without a problem. Nipples used on all these applications varied between slide on hex type to zerk style. The question was about what to use to insert the oil, not whether the nipple was designed for oil or grease.

• 2 years later...

Yes, that is what I use for oiling, inside it takes a grease tin, I use it with gear oil and with or without a nipple fitting on the end depending if I am using for topping up or oiling nipples.

Super things, trade name is rather corny "ANDY"

Well it does come in handy

For small quantities as in Driver Servicing (whatever happened to that?) the Pig CES lists:

Oiler, hand, 1/2 pt, force fed by pressure, rigid spout, LV6/MT1/4930-99-942-6907

• 3 weeks later...