WW1 Belgian horse cart

Cel

This cart was delivered yesterday. The nametag reads:

ARMEE BELGE

VEHICULE TYPE B.3

ARRIERE TRAIN N°25

ARSENAL DE CONSTRUCTION

It is almost in original condition with a lot of the original paint still there. The booms for horse traction have been replaced by a drawbar, as it has been used by a threshermen in France. Can anyone confirm whether it is WW1? Thanks for any comments.

Marcel

P8270147.jpg

P8270149.jpg

P8270151.jpg

P8270152.jpg

P8270156.jpg

That's good, I was just thinking that if that plate had been a cheap copy it would probably be a lot crisper and tidier than that ....

Typically these plates would be be cast brass, in quantity, and just a stamp or two - exactly what I see there. No idea of the date though, it's quite possible it is as late as WW2 maybe?

In particular I wouldn't expect the wood, particularly the wheels, to be as good as it is, if it was a hundred years old rather than a mere seventy.

It might indeed be later than WW1 and even WW2, but I am sure that it is original. The condition of the wood does not say a lot to me when speaking of age. I have a horse powered threshing machine that is 100+ years old in original and condition, the wood is even better than this cart. Sure hope to find out more about it!

Thanks, Marcel

To me it looks about right , right for a sand cast , resin sand cast at best. It looks aluminium on my screen, and as if somebody has put a small wire brush in a drill chuck to remove the paint and overdone it - probably not a good idea to clean up..

Tony: yes it is sprung, leaf spring under the axle.

David: I wrote a letter to the army museum a few months ago but haven't received a reply yet. Maybe now I have it home I can try it again with better pictures.

79x100: I have no idea but will ask my uncle who was in the army for over 30 years.

If I find out more I'll keep you all updated!

Regards

Marcel

• 3 years later...

Well thanks to this forum the cart mistery is solved! I was contacted about the Peugeot by a gentlemen here in Belgium a few days ago and thought I'd send him a picture of the cart. He replied almost immediately! The cart was used to transport the tools of the gunsmiths and blacksmiths, and was produced between 1907 and 1916. So far it is the only one known, in fact it was believed that none had survived. The 'bad' news is that it is not complete, the pictures show why. I am now looking for a set of wheels so we can reproduce the dolly (or whatever it is called). Another project on the list!

Regards

Marcel

foto.jpg

27.1.jpg

Amazing what turns up,

it feels like one of everything survives,

but this idea is probably far from the truth!

If only that were the case, I can think of several WW2 & post war British aircraft that no longer exist, this cart is truly a great find. well done.

• 10 months later...