Has anyone on HMVF carried out a conversion to turn an MV into a camper?

JoelH

Joel,if Darrell is down for Tankfest he will be camping in his 101 Landrover converted to a camper,,,,might be worth asking him for ideas,see you Monday
Yes see darrells conversion looks goood its a duch or beglam 101. There is a few Bedford MJs/Mks conversion around there is one on Ebay at the moment. In brum we have a few of these. A 432 will be easy to convert! of course there is a Morries !!!!

Al

Done several weekend shows and slept in the back of the Saracen. You can just get two hammocks slung from the front side hatches to the back doors with the aid of ingenuity. However, if (more like when) you have too much to drink in an evening and need to get out quick in the wee small hours, you have to go though the turret. Early in the morning the dew makes the roof very slippery so you land on the ground quickly :(

Its also gets very cold......

Hi Joel.

I currently have a Chevrolet M1010 Ambulance sat in my shed which will be going up for sale at Beltring this year.

It has the diesel V8 6.2 and has covered 26000 miles.

The ambulance body is quite large and can accomodate 4 beds (stretchers). It is already fitted as standard with a 240 volt power supply, interior lights, heater unit and air conditioning.

I think it would make an ideal camper conversion for 2 peaople, especially if connected to a canvas tent. I think the American army use a medical type tent.

It has just been fully serviced and had a full re-spray.

If you fancy having a look - come and find me at Beltring.

Markheliops

Yup, Rover 11 Ambulance, really comfy for 2 people! :cool2:

Dutch enthusiasts have gone mad and developed pop-tops and tilting-roofs for them, sleeping god knows how many. Have read accounts of parents with 2 children going on holiday in them. No idea how/if they meet seatbelt regs for that lot though.....

Geddit done. MVs are ideal. Classic, unusual in appearance, entry to shows, free accommodation, talking point and you never have to worry about where you are going to sleep of an evening :-D

Alec.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother set up the Militant with a canvas, then fitted a bed, cooker, sink, and fridge, allowing it to be tested as a Motorhome. It had the headroom for anyone up to 6' tall. When I inherited it, the canvas was tired, and security of all the kit inside was more important, so I bought a standard Bedford box body, which initially was a drone support workshop. This was cheap but only had one door, and at the first use was far too hot with little ventilation.

I then bought the current box body which was set up as an office, and has a door either side at the front, and double doors at the rear. I fitted the bed, sink etc, but only strapped it down for 3 years which meant I needed an HGV test. Last year I bolted it down to make it a motorhome, allowing a heavy class 4 test. It's not perfect, but it's good at a noisy show as I can close the doors while WW3 breaks out outside, and I hear nothing!

As with any HMVF member you're welcome to drop in at War & Peace for a beer/tea!

Jules