OT-90 and electrical starting

Most know my OT is reluctant to start on the batteries alone unless the batteries have had a good 24 hours on charge each before hand. Part of the reason is the fact the vehicle sits for months without being run, just systems powered up for interior lights fan, fire control checks etc.

Another part of it may well be due to what you can see in the attached picture!! :D

I found this today when I removed the bridging strap to hook the charger up to #2 battery.....

Bad clamp 2.jpg

Don't blame the Russians, the fault lies nearer to home.:D

That's what comes of not using OEM batteries with bolt-through terminals.

It is an improvisation to use a more readily available battery. Not ideal but it does preserve the originality of the connectors on the battery leads.

In fact I saw quite a few of these bodge permitting connectors at Beaulieu AJ today. Yes I know its unkind to call it a bodge, but I do know what I'm talking about as I have fitted some on the Pig :D:D

IMAG0607a.jpg

In fact I saw quite a few of these bodge permitting connectors at Beaulieu AJ today. Yes I know its unkind to call it a bodge, but I do know what I'm talking about as I have fitted some on the Pig :D:D

Clive,

I like these connectors too, I have them fitted to the M151. It makes it easy to disconnect the batteries and remove the jumper lead - saves them going flat in the garage when I leave the switch on, and makes it a bit harder to steal at a show.

Chris

Chris cutting off the original narrow connectors from the leads & fitting the larger post terminal connectors is as you say an impediment for easy battery removal, but the other problem would be that the large terminals can no longer be drawn through the grommets in the battery box holes.

I have just refurbished the two battery boxes on the Pig & it would have been a pain to have to have undone any replacement connectors just to remove the boxes from the vehicle.

These were standard fitment Clive. Got the Soviet BMP-1 manual here that shows this type of terminal in use. Probably makes it conscript proof as regards mixing up the battery terminals ! :):)

Oh well I never! So neither of us are bodgers then, well that's a relief!