Smoke dischargers - FV432

Masseyboy89

I have been browsing the mod sales website for FV432's. Can anyone tell me, why is it they remove the smoke dischargers and wont sell the vehicles with them on? Is it not possible to deactivate them or is it just easier for them to remove them all together and save the hassle? I'm guessing that's what the problem is with them? Simon.

Withams seem to classify them, rightly or wrongly, as 'firearms' and therefore remove them to avoid breaking the law in supplying them to the general public. As you say, its easier for Withams to remove them altogether and play it safe from a legal point of view. In my experience as well, they don't seem too concerned if their policy's lose them the odd sale, there's always plenty of buyers around.

James

Withams seem to classify them, rightly or wrongly, as 'firearms' and therefore remove them to avoid breaking the law in supplying them to the general public. As you say, its easier for Withams to remove them altogether and play it safe from a legal point of view. In my experience as well, they don't seem too concerned if their policy's lose them the odd sale, there's always plenty of buyers around.

James

Thanks James,

Its a shame they cut them off, but I can see why they do it. I guess there is not a way around it? I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to fabricate something that looks pretty similar. Simon.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, if you were to make your own 'mock-up' smoke dischargers out of wood etc, then in order to comply with the VCR Act then (technically) you'd have to paint them in bright neon colours, even though the real things themselves wouldn't.. make sense of that if you can...

I think people on the forum have looked into getting some made in the past and apparently the shape actually makes them quite hard/expensive to reproduce. A shame really, as I'd love a set to finish off my 432.

As for buying a pair off Withams, I think even if you had the correct licence, they probably wouldn't be interested, the average individual collector to them is a very small fish, compared to some of the international aid agencies etc, that they sell to in bulk.

I think I am right in that they are classed as section 5 ie prohibited as they are multi barrel!

Special branch inspected a Chieftain I was importing from Belgium once to make sure the main gun was deactivated but ignored the smoke dischargers, so If anyone is after a pair for a Chieftain:whistle:

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, if you were to make your own 'mock-up' smoke dischargers out of wood etc, then in order to comply with the VCR Act then (technically) you'd have to paint them in bright neon colours, even though the real things themselves wouldn't.. make sense of that if you can...

I think people on the forum have looked into getting some made in the past and apparently the shape actually makes them quite hard/expensive to reproduce. A shame really, as I'd love a set to finish off my 432.

As for buying a pair off Withams, I think even if you had the correct licence, they probably wouldn't be interested, the average individual collector to them is a very small fish, compared to some of the international aid agencies etc, that they sell to in bulk.

That's a shame - I guess its just one of those things! Something I never understood, don't replica guns that don't shoot anything need to be those ridiculous colours? Why is it that deactivated guns don't need painting? After all nothing looks more like the real thing.... Than the real thing, whether it fires or not! I'd like at some stage an inert M60 or M2 50. Cal to decorate one of my vehicles for shows but don't know where I would stand with the VCR act?

Back on the subject of 432's - it looks like someone has gone and bought the whole lot from Witham? I was just looking in the 'direct sales' part of the site.

I think I am right in that they are classed as section 5 ie prohibited as they are multi barrel!

Special branch inspected a Chieftain I was importing from Belgium once to make sure the main gun was deactivated but ignored the smoke dischargers, so If anyone is after a pair for a Chieftain:whistle:

Yes I belive you are correct they come under section 5 of the firearms act.

Al

smoke dischargers are ok well ferret ones are if u search forum been discussed a few times

I will think that you will find that they have been deactive by disconecting/removal of the wiring firing system and a slot machined in the discharger body.

Al

no, smoke dischargers have been discussed at acpo level and are not sect 5 they do not need to have slots machined etc,and i have letter from lewis firearms dept confirming previous.

You may be correct but there is alot of smoke discharges out there with slots and disconected, a freind of mine had to do it when a firearms officer visited. Each firearms department in the diffrent police forces here in the UK are not consitent with applying the firearms act with each other.

AL

I imported into Australia a Ferret and to comply with Australian regulations the barrels had to be cut (in fact they already had been) and the firing pins welded (even though I understand there is not a firing pin) but the vendor put some weld into the bottom of the barrel which made them happy.

I've just received this letter from the Home Office in response to my request for advice on the legality of Smoke Grenade Launchers:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference: T4323/11 5 April 2011

Dear Mr Michael

Thank you for your e-mail of 7 March about smoke grenade dischargers.

As you may know, some types of launching equipment are subject to control under section 5(1)(ae) of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) - ‘any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus’.

Ultimately, only a court can decide on the status of any particular weapon but it is our view that many smoke grenade dischargers can be regarded as pyrotechnic launchers and, as such, they would not be subject to control under the Firearms Act.

Yours sincerely

M Young

---------------------------------------------------

Based on that advice (and noting the understandable comment about the courts) I'd be happy to have live dischargers fitted with a copy of the letter in the vehicle.

Andy