Plating Pre 1960 vehicle as a roadwothy check

Don't you mean 'maintenance which HAS been carried out HAS been done to a safe standard?

:cool2:

Yes of course, but if the vehicle has never had any maintenance before and never been on the road then it would be maintenance which would been done so to determine that that maintenance is satisfactory....:nut: :cheesy:

Well anyway I think I know what I mean...

Any Goods Vehicle Testing Station will carry out a voluntary check of your pre 1960's truck, for your own peace of mind on any work you may have done. QUOTE]

This should be true but unfortunately is not. Mitcham VOSA station refused to carry out a voluntary inspection of the Ward LaFrance stating that it would fail as it did not meet current regs. No amount of arguing that it did not have to meet modern regs would persuade them so I gave up.

A much better idea, as suggested above, would be to have the vehicle inspected by an independent commercial vehicle garage. Our ERF is pre-test inspected each year and we believe it to be good value for money at around £60 and for us it means only one visit to the test station. This will not give you an MoT or test certificate but as AntarMike points out, these are worthless the moment you drive out the door anyway. However it gives you an independent annual inspection with a written report. I would have thought a court of law would look kindly on this if you were ever called upon to defend yourself.

- MG

So would they be justified to refuse an MOT if you wanted to use it commercially ?

So would they be justified to refuse an MOT if you wanted to use it commercially ?

Firstly, Mitcham have always had an poor reputation and I was pleased to hear recently that they may be being closed down. Good riddance.

I believe any large vehicle can be plated and tested for commercial use. My understanding is that it should be tested against the C&U standards applicable at the time of its manufacture. These regs were pretty much non-existent in 1944 so goodness knows how they would decide what to test. It should be noted again that with very few exceptions all buses have to be tested annually even if only used privately. I know of numerous solid-tyred buses with no windscreens, no front brakes, little or no lighting etc. etc. which have no problem passing their tests each year.

I believe Mitcham gave me the wrong information even though several of the guys came out to discuss it. I think they were just not interested but this is typical of the experience there.

They reeled off a list of items that they believed would need modification including lowering headlights, fitting indicator repeaters, replacing all tyres for 'E' marked, replacing all lights for 'E' marked, fitting seat belts, fitting spray suppression equipment, fitting under-run bars, protecting numerous sharp corners etc. etc. Some of this is clearly moronic as even our ERF doesn't have seat belts, but they were adamant so I abandoned the idea.

- MG

I would suggest, Mike, you just got a bad deal from Mitcham. VOSA just didn't want to test the Ward and were trying to baffle you with b*llsh*t. Julezee has an MOT on his Militant, and I dont see any under run bars, spray supression etc on that. The only difference, I believe, is he want to Hastings GVTS and you to Mitcham.

For my Militant when it is ready, I will drive past my nearest centre and on to the centre where I know I will get a better deal. No less of a test, mind you, just a better reception

I would suggest, Mike, you just got a bad deal from Mitcham. VOSA just didn't want to test the Ward and were trying to baffle you with b*llsh*t. Julezee has an MOT on his Militant, and I dont see any under run bars, spray supression etc on that. The only difference, I believe, is he want to Hastings GVTS and you to Mitcham.

For my Militant when it is ready, I will drive past my nearest centre and on to the centre where I know I will get a better deal. No less of a test, mind you, just a better reception

Depending on the age of the Militant, it may well not need under-run bars. Spray suppression not required on all vehicles, depends on first registration (first use) so again may not need them.

Edited by antarmike

I agree entirely that they just were not interested. I have learned that that there is no point arguing with closed ranks of bureaucracy so I retired gracefully!

- MG

Any Goods Vehicle Testing Station will carry out a voluntary check of your pre 1960's truck, for your own peace of mind on any work you may have done. They will charge you for it according to what you ask them to check. For example you could have just a brake test, which will get you a computor print out showing how well, or not, your brakes performed (at the time of test). On the other hand you could opt for a full inspection which will be done to the same standard as for an MOT.

However, for a pre 1960 vehicle they would not normally issue an MOT because your old truck is unlikely to conform to the current regulations. Hazard lights for one, were not required back then, but now they are, so unless you have retro fitted them recently you wont get an MOT. No MOT means no plate, so no using it for anything other than social, domestic or pleasure.

Bare in mind if you take your vehicle to VOSA for a voluntary inspection and it fails any of the test, you will need to fix the vehicle to make it roadworthy (should be roadworthy anyway). Some faults may result in a GV9 and you will have to have the vehicle recovered. IE: If the brakes are bad and it's GV9'd you wont be able to drive it home!!

Edited by LoggyDriver

In defence of the VOSA types, I would say they are not all bad. I've met quite a few of them through work over the years, most of them are just decent blokes doing their days work.

Newbury VOSA has a great bunch of lads working there. There are only one or two jobsworths who work there and they tend to be the younger guys.

As far as I know, there is no requirement to use your nearest test centre. When Hastings didn't have a "Class" tester, both I, and previously my brother drove all the way to Purfleet in Essex for a class 4 test on the Militant. In 2008/9 Hastings tested it as an HGV, which as described in other threads was initially easy, then more difficult and expensive. Last year it was tested as a heavy class 4 (motorhome), and that worked fine, and the VOSA tester was very considerate in most respects.

Jules

.... easy, just get an experienced Motor Engineer, fully conversant with the size/type/class of vehicle to do an ENGINEERS REPORT, on it once a year..... it's not an M.O.T., and in my opinion, worth hell of a lot more, but only if done each and every year. simples!:-D

I am still trying to decide if voluntary testing is "the responsible thing to do" or an attempt to pass the buck if things go wrong. Whatever happens the driver is still responsible for the roadworthieness of the vehicle, I suppose it depends on different individuals mechanical ability as to how much outside assistance they need.

Personally I feel that using something with an MOT exemption makes you more aware of the condition because there is no bit of paper to wave about.

Ultimately if you dont think it is safe on the road don't take it out.