4x4

griff66

Question

thinking of buying a 4 wheel drive vehicle for winter up to about 2 grand have been looking at swb shoguns and similar ,dont really want a 4 wheel drive car ,any thoughts advice much appreciated.

Be careful with old Shoguns, the engines don't usually survive beyond 100,000 miles.

If I was you I'd be looking at a Discovery, there are faults to be aware of but there are plenty of good ones out there. Another point to watch for with Jap vehicles is grey imports, some parts can be different and almost impossible to source and some insurance companies don't like them. They are worth less money than the genuine article.

I have had 3 MK1 troopers with the 2.8 engine bril engine later 3.1 thirsty and not as strong 3L trooper to be avoided, had one as works van had 3 new engines under waranty .check chassy on mk1 under the rear wheel arch ,all 3 rotted in this area .currently runing a old 300tdi disco with 180000 miles on the clock ,payed £400 for it with 10 months mot ,will need rear floor welding soon ,geting 29mpg towing 35mpg average light foot parts cheep.

hi im very happy with my little suzuki jimny convertable 1.3 engine very econmical starts every morning and goes anywhere a landy will or even further as its not as wide. as long as you drive it right only me getting on and off our large inclined estate . im more than happy with mine :-)

hi im very happy with my little suzuki jimny convertable 1.3 engine very econmical starts every morning and goes anywhere a landy will or even further as its not as wide. as long as you drive it right only me getting on and off our large inclined estate . im more than happy with mine :-)

It might be narrower but it doesn't have the same clearance under the axles.

I was once with an early LJ80 driving in the snow filled woods. The snow was days old and had the sun on it so that the surface had melted and refrozen several times, we were driving across this snow, riding on the crust, when it let go and the Suzie fell through, except it only fell to the floor pan, which rested on the crust. The wheels were still 8 inches of Terra Firma.

We didn't have a shovel so we spent an hour dragging out snow with sticks, until the crust under the floor pan had lost sufficient support for it to collapse.

One lesson learnt!

Should consider exactly want you want to use it for, are you looking for a 4wd car? or are you looking for a utility or pick up.

I've had a Hilux pick up for years, it has been thoroughly abused, overloaded, used for towing buses and coaches, I've really kicked the whatsit out of it, but it just keeps going.

It is a pain in the butt having to get out to change the manual 4wd hubs on the front axle, but once locked in it is unstoppable mud, snow, whatever. I love it, wouldn't be without it.

Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD is pretty good I,ve had a 95 model since it was 3 years old, its now just done 75k. No fancy electrics / electronics easy to fix, all parts readily availiable. Not the best 4x4 for fuel consumption averages about 27mpg. Great for towing and as my mobile tool box. I have just bought a newer one which was an insurance write off, an 03 with 47k on it. Will be selling the old one soon with 12 month test on it.

for that sort of money id get a discovery every time had a few shoguns- pajeros too airy fairy get the 300tdi or the best engine is the v8 a mate has just got 1 for £900 no and i mean no rust but must be the only one like it loads of cheap parts and we all got a mate who can tell you were to look for the rust one of the better towing cars about

andy

Ive got 2 Pajeros at the moment and have always used different 4x4,s since 1983. One is a 7 seat 2.8turbo D which is my workhorse for every day fitted with BF goodrich TT just got 70000kms out of the last set of tyres! excellent tow vehicle/ mobile tool box or delivering freight! brilliant in snow and off road.

The other is a 3.2 DID brilliant comfort,drives like a car so easy for the wife! good fuel consumption compared to the 2.8 bad point is that it is crap in the snow with road tyres and the finishing is very plastic compared to the 2.8 which is the better all round for working.

Discos are alot smaller than the 7 seat pajeros.

Christian

The Pajero is a good choice - and Mitsubishi dealers will treat them the same as Shoguns in regards to servicing, parts recalls etc. - a lot of manufacturers will not do this. We had a 2.5 LWB Exceed model and, apart from a lack of power, when towing it was a nice vehicle.

Another option no one has mentioned is the European version of the Ford Explorer circa 1996 - 200. Selectable high ratio 4WD up to 60 mph and low ratio 4WD from stationery, 4 speed auto box with overdrive on all 4 gears, 5 seater with a fairly large boot. These can be picked up on eBay for around £2000 already converted to LPG (they do need it with a 4.0 litre V6!) but are more than capable in the sort of weather we've had recently - ours has performed without flaw since we bought it 4 years ago.

I've got a pajero, or at least my wife has as its the kiddy wagon, you can fit loads of them in there. Heavy on fuel though, but cheap to buy, and I have used it as the work minibus in the snow of the past two winters.

By the way, did you know that they had to change the name of pajeros in spanish speaking countries. Pajero means w**ker apparently.

Cheers

Paul

Hi I've got a Monterey (Isuzu Trooper), here's a few things to watch out for. The inlet / return fuel pipes on top of the fuel tank rots, tank okay but you either suck air or at least have intermitten tickover / starting. Easy repair if youre used to MVs and fixing things, 10mm and 8mm copper pipe and some araldite. Or a new fuel tank.

There is a coolant pipe immediately behind and running tight against the engine, it rots, leaks and leads to a blown head. Otherwise okay, its strong, loads of power with the 3.1 and not too much electronics. Witham sold a whole load of 3.0s recently at some good prices, maybe more coming.

If you are going to maintain yourself, think about Land Rover as loads of spares available so if it goe wrong, its easy to source the parts. Best 4x4 in the world? A 5.7 litre petrol k5 Chevy Blazer! But at 15mpg you need to live in the gulf states...

Edited by simonm

I run a SWB 2.0l Vauxhaul Frontera its done 170,000 miles I paid £280 for it. I blew the engine but parts are easy to find. Very capable off road and not let me down yet. Easy to look after, spares plentiful and cheap to run tax and insurance wise.

I've got a pajero, or at least my wife has as its the kiddy wagon, you can fit loads of them in there. Heavy on fuel though, but cheap to buy, and I have used it as the work minibus in the snow of the past two winters.

By the way, did you know that they had to change the name of pajeros in spanish speaking countries. Pajero means w**ker apparently.

Cheers

Paul

Considering some who drive them round here. Very Very apt.