4x4

griff66

Question

Do a web serch for isuzu trooper owners club uk this site will anser most questions you are likly to ask .3.1 seem ok not as frugal as 2.8 but 100% MORE reliable than 3.0 engine.3.1 shares body with 3.0 ,have run both 2.8 and 3.0 had no conplants on quality of build ,just 3.0 engine reliabilty these are still been replased under waranty dispite last ones been built in 2002.

Last Christmas we bought this little gem. 3.9i V8 Discovery with history and 69,000 miles.

Walked through it's MOT and has only had a new battery fitted in 12 months. Fuel consumption is the only bad point, but it is the towing machine for everything.

Cost a snip over a grand a year ago, so they are out there. a few hundred quid more for the 300Tdi as they are more economical so a 2K budget would buy you a younger one or a better one.

However if you want something to retain it's money better, then a Defender with a sound chassis and bulkhead would be a real work horse for you.

Tony B is quite right though as pound for pound the cheapest and best 4x4 you can buy is a Range Rover Classic. Had one of those to and loved it.

wifes disco.jpg

A Disco is NOT a Range Rover! Despite what Land Rover say. Have to admit though despite my grumbling my 200TDI hasn't let me down over the last ten days.

Not quite but they do share the same 100 inch chassis and 'A' Pillars/ Windscreen arrangement as a Land Rover Classic! Thats why early 200Tdi Discoveries had Range Rover Classic wing mirrors as well.

I've never been that impressed with the Japanese 4x4s - they always seem very thirsty and expensive to run, except for the Isuzus and the old Daihatsu Fourtraks. Discoveries never had that great a reputation, but that does mean you can buy a perfectly competent and quite tidy vehicle for not a lot of money.

Edited by Sean N
Grocer's apostrophe

The perfect vehicle has not been made yet, but some are better than others. We use three different 4x4's as well as quad bikes, tractors and wheeled and tracked plant. One of the big problems with the earlier Jap 4x4's was rust which is why you won't see that many earlier ones around. Daihatsu's had a good strong chassis and engine but gearbox/transfer box was a bit suspect. The earlier Isuzus's were very lightly built and had a habit of breaking axle u bolts, particularly on the rear axle and were generally not up to serious work, the 3 litre engine as has been said is a complete disaster. One point that hasn't been made is the choice of tyres, the difference that the latest type of snow tyres make is tremendous.

As well as the 4x4's we use a Clio van which with conventional tyres is less than useless but we have recently fitted a pair of the latest type of snow tyres which have transformed the vehicle.