cromwell on the road for A & E 2012

eddy8men

Hi Eddy i can supply you with cheap paslods as i run a Nut & Bolt company ;);)

Interesting... I need a 7/16 x 4 3/32 BS bolt nut and washers, in my 1937 parts price list it is 1/9 can you match the price? Seriously I'm in desperate need of one if you any available.

Cheers,

Quentin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is.

28. Tracks

(1) Every part of every track of a track-laying vehicle which comes into contact with the road shall be flat and have a width of not less than 12.5 mm.

(2) The area of the track which is in contact with the road shall not at any time be less than 225 cm2 in respect of every 1000 kg of the total weight which is transferred to the road by the tracks.

(3) The tracks of a vehicle shall not have any defect which might damage the road or cause danger to any person on or in the vehicle or using the road, and shall be properly adjusted and maintained in good and efficient working order.

I've just measured a 15.5" Cromwell link and it has 12.5 sq inches of hard surface contact area. There are 34 links per side in contact (I think, hard to count mine as it's behind a stack of stillages!) This gives a total ground contact area of 850 sq inches or 5484 sq cm.

At 225 sq cm per 1000 kg, you can weigh just over 24 tons, I would expect an empty Cromwell to be about that. If your track is worn below the centre groove, it will be well within.

thanks adrian

i really appreciate you taking the time to get the info for me and with that snippet i think we can pretty much settle the track dilema which will keep alastair happy, although i might put 432 track on just to p#ss him off :D

iou another beer, again

eddy

i'd still be a bit wary of driving on a hot tarmac road in june but it might be ok if i was at the front then everyone behind could flatten the tarmac back down on the corners :-D.

Eddy,

You might be interested in this. Back in 1989, were were on the MVT Normandy Tour, in a town called Bagnoles d'Orne, and the town went all out to welcome us, with a parade and reception. It was quite hot and there were a number of tanks, the one with rubber pads were pulled out of the parade because they were lifting the tarmac. Budge's had their Cromwell and on one tight turn in the street, it only left the white marks on the surface, like a Carrier does.

Here it is.

28. Tracks

(1) Every part of every track of a track-laying vehicle which comes into contact with the road shall be flat and have a width of not less than 12.5 mm.

(2) The area of the track which is in contact with the road shall not at any time be less than 225 cm2 in respect of every 1000 kg of the total weight which is transferred to the road by the tracks.

(3) The tracks of a vehicle shall not have any defect which might damage the road or cause danger to any person on or in the vehicle or using the road, and shall be properly adjusted and maintained in good and efficient working order.

Where's that from, out of interest Adrian?

Andy

Eddy,

You might be interested in this. Back in 1989, were were on the MVT Normandy Tour, in a town called Bagnoles d'Orne, and the town went all out to welcome us, with a parade and reception. It was quite hot and there were a number of tanks, the one with rubber pads were pulled out of the parade because they were lifting the tarmac. Budge's had their Cromwell and on one tight turn in the street, it only left the white marks on the surface, like a Carrier does.

The Budge Cromwell was on standard 14" track which has a flat, wide spud with a greater surface area than a new 15 1/2" track. Perfect for easy steering on roads!

Eddy, have you got a set of 14" track from the Centaur? If it leaves your yard with anything other than original style track I shall perform a citizens arrest for crimes aginst Historic Armour!

Talking of track if anyone has any spare NOS Carrier track let me know:D I need more links than a UC though. Wheels, springs, arms, hull supports, armour.....bu**er.

PS. I'd like to seem some sketches concerning how the hull top plate (Adrian can tell me what the 'correct' term is) has to be modified to use the smaller Cromwell turret ring, give me a ring when it's underway and I'll pop over to investigate, I can bring your rad if you don't need it right away.

Edited by ajmac

Adrian Barrell

though it is of course on late track so not correct for 1944 anyway but lets ignore that!

When did the later track come into service?

As to whether it matters -a number of M24 are often painted up as WW2 ETO service vehicles ignoring that they have later track -suspension.

Steve

unfortunately i've only got one side of the centaur track but i'm sure i would be able to find the other one, possibly on the iow :cool2: adrian also gave me an idea about how to give the later style track more surface area. what if i filled the centre groove with weld and then ground it flat that would get me well within the limits. there's always more than one way to skin a cat but rest assured i'll be there with the cromwell and carrier.

alastair if you lend me a crayon and some paper i'll draw you a sketch:D seriously though it looks as if the cromwell to charioteer conversion was a bit of an economy job and where ever possible the original cromwell parts were re used which is the case with the turret basket and traversing gear which suits me down to the ground as it will hopefully make life a bit easier for me to get it back to cromwell spec. i've not studied it closely but it looks as though the top hull plates were cut out maybe 200mm larger than the new ring and a thicker plate welded in possibly for more support. on the sides the ring actually overhangs the hull by maybe 100mm and triangular strengthening gussets have been welded on to support it here, which begs the question why the bloody hell didn't some bright spark think of doing that in the war !!! anyway i have 2 options i can unbolt all the modified deck area's and do a straight swap for the centaur deck or i can chop out the new bits and weld more plate in i haven't decided yet but the pics will be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks when i've got something interesting to show.

eddy

ps. as for the charge of crimes against historic armour i pleed guilty your honour on the grounds of diminished responsibility

Edited by eddy8men

The hull roof plates have just been modified as Eddy says, the ring mounting face is machined though so it is not so easy just to weld new bits back in. There are also lots of holes to fill too!

The turret traverse box on Charioteer is not a Cromwell one, it has no hull machine gun mount and the rear plate is also modified. In reality, there are a host of mods, it just depends how far you want to go.

Welding the tracks will likely result in cracking, ask Bob how he knows......

Edited by Adrian Barrell

thanks adrian for putting me straight on the traverse box, i assumed it was the same as in the technical manual the traverse system looked almost identical but unfortunately bob's yard is 35 miles from my house so i can't just nip out to check these things, oh well one more thing to add to the to do list.

eddy