Poppy collecting

gazzaw

Dear all,

I know over the past few days many of us in the MV hobby or as part of a military unit have been out and about doing their bit trying to raise funds selling poppies. Last weekend a small group of us took the jeep to our local ASDA and over 2 days sold 20 boxes of poppies and raised £2,756.77p for the appeal.

It would be nice to see any piccys of our members in the pride and joys out doing similar and posting on here.

Regards

Gary

Asdacollectors6-7Nov10.jpg

Just out of interest, does anyone take tracked armour Poppy collecting?

I was thinking the other day after buying mine about getting in contact and offering to take the 432 to our local High Street next year if they were interested.

Or is it yet another thing that requires, risk assessments, council approval, public liability insurance etc..

Cheers,

James

I was thinking the other day after buying mine about getting in contact and offering to take the 432 to our local High Street next year if they were interested.

Or is it yet another thing that requires, risk assessments, council approval, public liability insurance etc..

Cheers,

James

Yep, your quite correct! When I lived in EASTBOUNE about 11 years ago. I used to collect right in the centre outside the Arndale centre. We used to wear correct uniform & raised thousands over approx 4 years. One time I took my Ferret down & roped it off. Before doing this in prepparation, I contacted the local council. They passed it to the borough highways engineer who was only concered about weight & was it tracked? I got a good letter back with the go ahead. I now live in Kent & to do similar a couple of years back. I had to do a risk assessment, Was now not allowed to play a military band CD as I then required a broadcasting licence. A HUGE Questionaire, obtain & pay for town partnership insurance for the day (1 Million pound cover!) & draw a precise plan of where the vehicle was to be placed & what the display would be. (A table in front of the Ferret!) Many emails, phone calls Etc, etc. Needless to say it's getting harder, & I now no longer do displays in the Town centre! However, I do spend every day for two hours 4-6pm for two weeks leading upto armistace day collecting door to door on a few housing estates to try to make some money for the British Legion. sadly, it's more like hundereds now rather than the thousands of yesteryear! Good Old Health & safety & all the associated Beaurocracy! :-(

Thanks So far guys, sadly we live in the world of litigation a Risk Assessments (following our colonial cousins lol), can't even blow your nose without permission in some places.

looking forward to hearing of your successes etc

Gary

Good work. I and others will be in Plymouth city centre on Saturday, 6 vehicles at the momment and about 15 collectors.

I shall tell my young lady to look out for you (she can hardly miss you lot...) then, she's still at uni there. Whereabouts will you be?

If you see a little lass with (probably) short blue hair, say hello!

eastbourne's british leagon said no to me using the vehicle to help collecting said bedford mk was to large so doing a school tommorow instead

Eastbourns's commoration's and parade are organised by Combined Services, and from the dealings I've had with them, ie, their representative's refusal to even talk to me, after being asked to by both eastbourne police and local British legion branch, when I offered to bring some vehicles down to 'backdrop', the rememberance service a few years ago; The local council were quite happy, along with the police and local B/Legion,........for some reason this other group, or rather its representative, were not; I was going to contact them directly, but ended up following parade in Hailsham, and have done so ever since. Anyone local who wants to bring (smallish :-))vehicle along, please get in touch. Parade is sun 14th.

Eastbourns's commoration's and parade are organised by Combined Services, and from the dealings I've had with them, ie, their representative's refusal to even talk to me, after being asked to by both eastbourne police and local British legion branch, when I offered to bring some vehicles down to 'backdrop', the rememberance service a few years ago; The local council were quite happy, along with the police and local B/Legion,........for some reason this other group, or rather its representative, were not; I was going to contact them directly, but ended up following parade in Hailsham, and have done so ever since. Anyone local who wants to bring (smallish :-))vehicle along, please get in touch. Parade is sun 14th.

Whilst collecting for the Legion yesterday I mentioned your general situation, without names locations etc, to one of the Legion guys. He said he could understand a decision not to include vehicles etc in a Remembrance Service/Parade as he could see that some might see it as taking away the focus of what the Service was all about, and making it in to more of a 'show' type situation. Which he was dead against, 'there are enough of those already'. He reckoned it could be seen as a thin of a wedge and that others might want to get on the bandwagon and for him that was a strict 'no-no'. He was meaning re-enactors - 'there is a time and place for these things' and the actual official service was not one - in his opinion. I can see his point, but he was just one fella putting forward his view. Other areas will no doubt see it differently.

Whilst collecting for the Legion yesterday I mentioned your general situation, without names locations etc, to one of the Legion guys. He said he could understand a decision not to include vehicles etc in a Remembrance Service/Parade as he could see that some might see it as taking away the focus of what the Service was all about, and making it in to more of a 'show' type situation. Which he was dead against, 'there are enough of those already'. He reckoned it could be seen as a thin of a wedge and that others might want to get on the bandwagon and for him that was a strict 'no-no'. He was meaning re-enactors - 'there is a time and place for these things' and the actual official service was not one - in his opinion. I can see his point, but he was just one fella putting forward his view. Other areas will no doubt see it differently.

Hi mate,

I can understand your fella's reasoning, and to a certain extent, agree with it; I'd certainly not want to turn any rememberance parade, collecting day into a reenactment event, or a 'look at me', type show,...............not the reason I do what I do.

As I said, Legion were more that happy for us to be there,..........had already worked out, with them how we could best position ourselves to provide best possible 'effects' for them,........and to act as windbreak/shelter in ness.

Whilst it wrankled at the time, Hailsham B/legion are more that happy to allow us (and only me turned up today :() to be involved in parade.

Its interesting, as you so rightly say, to see differing attitudes to this in different area's.

All the best,

Andy

(drying serge at the mo.....:-))

I was out collecting with carrierbarry with one bike one jeep one morris 8 and one bren carrier in the local high street so it can be done ,I know Barry contacted local police and parking control and obviously the legion and there seemed to be no problems,

Nigel

I was out collecting with carrierbarry with one bike one jeep one morris 8 and one bren carrier in the local high street so it can be done ,I know Barry contacted local police and parking control and obviously the legion and there seemed to be no problems,

Nigel

Nice one, Nigel.

As you say, think it depends on the local branch etc.

All the best,

Andy