Chassis Numbers for RAF Scammell Constructor

antarmike

Question

RICHARD l must have miss under stood because if you look you can see ARMY vehicles transferred to the RAF and been re numbered A vehicle been used by the RAF for user trials generally carried a RAF number a case in question was the mini

moke sent to the RAF then returned to the trials unit a RARDE were it a was numbered BT

REGARDS WALLY

RICHARD l must have miss under stood because if you look you can see ARMY vehicles transferred to the RAF and been re numbered A vehicle been used by the RAF for user trials generally carried a RAF number a case in question was the mini

moke sent to the RAF then returned to the trials unit a RARDE were it a was numbered BT

REGARDS WALLY

Not sure where the upper page scan is from but it does not look like an official document and even I can see it does not show the whole picture.

I understood BT designation to be Misc. Receipts, here are a few examples which are likely to be ex-RAF vehicles transferred to Army:

17BT45 Austin K9 ambulance

43BT30 Scammell Medium Recovery (Explorer) ......... I do remember one of these on BT plates, might be this one, and definitely ex-RAF and also recall inside of cab painted Eau-de-nil as was normal for their vehicles.

Also some if not all of the M2 Bridge Units were on BT plates.

Well I have two vehicles given these ERMs 27BT68 & 27BT95 these were previously civilian registered.

I have the official chapter & verse of the BT allocation that I'll scan when I can find it. I think that other document is probably based on observations of the Fleet Transport Data Society.

Right here we are Equipment Regulations Pamphlet No.9 (1959) Marking & painting of vehicles, Army aircraft & equipment. Amendment No.15 Nov. 1967 * just says allocation should be made & recorded under theatre arrangements.

App3854.jpg

Not sure where the upper page scan is from but it does not look like an official document and even I can see it does not show the whole picture.

I understood BT designation to be Misc. Receipts, here are a few examples which are likely to be ex-RAF vehicles transferred to Army:

43BT30 Scammell Medium Recovery (Explorer) ......... I do remember one of these on BT plates, might be this one, and definitely ex-RAF and also recall inside of cab painted Eau-de-nil as was normal for their vehicles.

I agree with all of that Richard, my old Explorer was on a BT plate and the headboard read 'Wide Load RAF Kinloss'. It had been converted to carry a snow plough and was originally painted RAF blue, then high vis yellow before having a coat of IRR slapped on by the R.E.M.E. The interior was Eau-de-nil.

When the Army took over RAF Episkopi overnight the whole MT fleet that was transferred to the garrison got BT plates- of course it was the fire trucks that interested me; I also have note of a Bedford Pyrene MK8 crash tender transfered to the ARMY from the RAF at Sek Kong on handover of the base it too became a BT.

As an aside the second page of Wally's post is identical to part of a list John Harrington sent me about 20 years ago ?

TED the RAF vehicle list was given to me when some of the offices at SPADEADAM were been cleared out and put on disc there is no mention of who compiled it other than a MOD library stamp on the cover AS TO THE QUESTION about BT been on trials vehicles its with out a doubt used for a number of purposes as shown on vehicles used in NORTHERN lRELAND

and mention on this forum else were

Cheers Wally, I did know about the trials vehicles we covered that I think on the Mini Moke thread ?

- on a slightly different track I am after a diagram showing the stowage plan for the Army Constructor ballast tractor can you help please ? and on an even further offtrack subject a CES for the ARMY fire service lookalikes of the Green Goddess which gives locker and stowage details,

all the best for 2014

TED

TED the stowage on these ? if so will look tomorrow

Not quite Wally, that is 713 GC, one of two commercial versions tested by FVRDE as trials vehicles for the FV12101 production vehicles which had a steel rear body.

Edited by radiomike7

Dear Sir,

We ahve a Constructor Here in Ireland and she was also in the RAF as she had a yellow roof etc,Her Chassis number is in the list above (10573) she was later changed to green There is also a yellow Crest on the door with daggers crossing (I'll try to put up a photo If anyones interested as I'd like to put it back on the doors),does anyone know what it stands for The paint is flaking but I'll get a photo of it even thou it will be hard to make out.

In the mean time I'm off to get a photo!

See ya :D

I was driver of the Scammell with the yellow signs on the door. They are crossed knives. ( Arab Khanjar's )

If you need more information e-mail me on seanmcargo42@gmail.com

Regards

Sean,

Hi,

Here is that photo of the crest which is on the doors (I think its of two daggers crossing) of our constructor is there anyone out there who Knows what it ment as I'd be greatful to Know also here is a photo of her chassis number (10573) it may be hard to make it out thou :nut: ,she is there third in the list :cool2::D ! I'll post up more photos of the lorry when shes finished ( a few weeks maybe,but at the moument shes getting a make over (complete spray job in olive Drab Green) She was last sprayed about 20 years ago by my dad.

More photos to follow in the near future when she is sprayed !

Hi,

I used to drive the Scammell with the yellow sign on the doors. There were two Scammell's

I think that they were 20BT41 and 20BT42. Both were at Waterbeach --- 63( Airfields ) R.E.

The sign on the doors is Arab Knives crossed swords ( Arab Khanyar's )

The squadron was the Arab Gulf Plant Support Squadron.

You can contact me on seanmccargo42@gmail.com

Sean

Dear Sir,

We ahve a Constructor Here in Ireland and she was also in the RAF as she had a yellow roof etc,Her Chassis number is in the list above (10573) she was later changed to green There is also a yellow Crest on the door with daggers crossing (I'll try to put up a photo If anyones interested as I'd like to put it back on the doors),does anyone know what it stands for The paint is flaking but I'll get a photo of it even thou it will be hard to make out.

In the mean time I'm off to get a photo!

See ya :D[/quote

I was the driver of the RAF 30 ton Scammell. The sign on the doors indicated that she served he time with the support squadron in the Gulf.

The sign shows '' Crossed Kungars '' crossed Arab knifes .

I have photographs of the Scammell in Aden - Gulf - UK.

In the UK at Waterbeach she was 21 BT 40 or 21 BT 42

Contact me on e mail seanmccargo42@g.mail.com