Chassis Numbers for RAF Scammell Constructor

antarmike

Question

Does anyone out there know the chassis numbers for the RAF constructors? Thankyou for your help.

Mike

10571 my old one, which I sold to Paul Rhodes, the first one built Mlitary registration 60AN32

10580 was Tony Gough's but sold to David Crouch

10582 Residing in Angelsey

10590 This was David Crouches orange one but I think this is the one Paul Rhodes rolled.

10571 my old one, which I sold to Paul Rhodes, the first one built Mlitary registration 60AN32

10590 This was David Crouches orange one but I think this is the one Paul Rhodes rolled.

Cheers John.

Dear Sir,

We ahve a Constructor Here in Ireland and she was also in the RAF as she had a yellow roof etc,Her Chassis number is in the list above (10573) she was later changed to green There is also a yellow Crest on the door with daggers crossing (I'll try to put up a photo If anyones interested as I'd like to put it back on the doors),does anyone know what it stands for The paint is flaking but I'll get a photo of it even thou it will be hard to make out.

In the mean time I'm off to get a photo!

See ya :D

Not got my paperwork at the moment, but the blue RAF Constructors were repainted green when the RAF Airfield Construction units became Army Engineer Regiments.

Somewhere I have a list of the vehicles (and Crane float trailers) transferred - it is reasonable to assume that those vehicles not transferred were the ones either transferred to PSA department or sold off at this point, and so never received green paint.

Edited by N.O.S.

*Likes photo's, don't be long!* :whistle:

Hi,

Here is that photo of the crest which is on the doors (I think its of two daggers crossing) of our constructor is there anyone out there who Knows what it ment as I'd be greatful to Know also here is a photo of her chassis number (10573) it may be hard to make it out thou :nut: ,she is there third in the list :cool2::D ! I'll post up more photos of the lorry when shes finished ( a few weeks maybe,but at the moument shes getting a make over (complete spray job in olive Drab Green) She was last sprayed about 20 years ago by my dad.

More photos to follow in the near future when she is sprayed !

Edited by AlbionCx22ownerinIreland

I think the secret will lie somewhere in the site below:

www.british-army-units1945on.co.uk/39EngineerRegiment.aspx

Look at 1966 onwards, as that was the date the RAF Airfiled Construction Branch was disbanded and Constructors transferred to Royal Engineer regiments who took over airfield construction responsibility.

If there is any way you can find the Army Registration number that would be ideal. There does not seem to any reliable way of working out which registration number went with which chassis number.

Edited by N.O.S.

Look at 1966 onwards, as that was the date the RAF Airfiled Construction Branch was disbanded and Constructors transferred to Royal Engineer regiments who took over airfield construction responsibility.

If there is any way you can find the Army Registration number that would be ideal. There does not seem to any reliable way of working out which registration number went with which chassis number.

And some went to M.P.B.W. then DoE, PSA and at least one of these had a FUL civilian registartion. Not all of the 20 went to the Army.

A service friend did some research for me and discovered that only 8 Constructors appear to have been recorded as being transferred to the Army - 5 in in 1966, 2 in 1967 and 1 in 1968.

6 Crane trailers were transferred in 1966 and 1 in 1968.

Of course some vehicles will have been working abroad at the time of transfer and it is possible they may not have been allocated Army numbers, nor received a green paint job, until their return to the UK (and not all did return e.g. Cyprus trucks). It is quite possible these repatriated trucks were simply put up for disposal when returned to UK, instead of being repainted etc.

I have a list of the Army registration numbers and their former RAF numbers (with exception of 3 former RAF numbers which are not known) for the 8 known to have been transferred. The new numbers were randomly allocated.

I'm not yet aware of any evidence that makes it possible to link the service registration numbers with any certainty to specific chassis numbers, even on the basis that one vehicle is believed to be carrying its original number (the ex Paul Rhodes one, he found a piece of service documentation with the army reg. on, which is quite reasonable evidence to link that particular vehicle).

There is not yet enough evidence to be confident that service that original RAF service registration numbers were allocated sequentially in order of chassis number.

If anyone can provide evidence of the service number (RAF or Army) for a specific chassis number, let me know and I'll add it to the list and see if a pattern emerges.

If there is any way you can find the Army Registration number that would be ideal. There does not seem to any reliable way of working out which registration number went with which chassis number.[/QUO

I have The army reg as its stamped on the chassis at the passengers sid(on a Plate) I think

How do I go about looking up her history then :nut:

I can't answer that, but someone on here should be able to put you on the right track. If you give me the army number I'll see if it on my list for the original RAF registration.

I don't have her number with me at the moument but her chassis number ( 10573)

is listed as an RAF Contsructor

P.S I'll try to get her reg tomorrow :-)

Thanking you

Not got my paperwork at the moment, but the blue RAF Constructors were repainted green when the RAF Airfield Construction units became Army Engineer Regiments.

Somewhere I have a list of the vehicles (and Crane float trailers) transferred - it is reasonable to assume that those vehicles not transferred were the ones either transferred to PSA department or sold off at this point, and so never received green paint.

PSA -- had two of the RAF SCAMMELS in Aden, they were transferred to 10 Field Sqn R.E. ( Airfields ) and the number of one of the Scammels 21 BT 40 the trailer was 20BT61, later both Scammels were shipped to Sharjar in the Gulf.

I have photographs of them been load on board ship.

Sean Mc Cargo

A vehicle with a BT registration number is normally a vehicle on user trials or in some cases one sent to northern lreland ?

In my experience working with the army, there were, as in this case, vehicles transferred from the RAF and re-numbered in the BT series. One of the Constructors was used in the late Seventies by the Infantry Display Team, for towing a recovery trailer of a type I have forgotten, think the load was a FV432. The only thing that stuck in my mind, other than it being a BT number, was the name on the front, "Green Giant".

MPBW?

Ministry / Public / Works I guess, but the B? Is this PSA by another name?

Min of Public Buildings and Works ; IT was replaced by the PSA who were an agency of the DoE.

MPBW was formed when several Ministries that had their own Works dept, had them wound up under government efficiencies and they were combined with the old Min of Works. In the RAF , running parallel with the Airfield Construction Branch ACB was the Air Ministry Works Dept AMWD. Much of the ACBs non tacxtical work was tasked from AMWD.