Duxford Military Vehicle Show !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

thanks for the footage of the Chieftains, if one closed ones eyes one could imagine one was on Salisbury Plain back in the 80s again. Think the gun tank driver was having a few gear issues or in too high a gear compared to the recovery / repair variant driver.

Did you get / will you be posting any of the CVR(T) footage or was the camera choked with dust by then?

R

Andy,

Thanks for the film clips, it was good to see the Austin K6 Coles crane out and about. It previously belonged to a friend and I occasionally drove it.

I agree Richard ! Lovely old survivor ! She may need a little of the old Farrant magic though as she needed a little help on the parade ! Happens to us all as we get older I guess ! :DSomething went wrong...

Was a good day out and weather held out till we were 5 minutes down the road, then I think the tide came in.

Here are a few pictures, tried to avoid duplicates of others so far. Also got the Sabre, but have been beaten to that one by Mark (Why was the Yellow machine not in the cavalcade?).

Mike

Better book the 109 in next year.

duxford1.jpg

duxford6.jpg

duxford5.jpg

duxford7.jpg

duxford2.jpg

duxford3.jpg

duxford4.jpg

duxford10.jpg

Here are a couple of others with a few questions.

Now how can you justify having one of these?

It would make clearing the moss from the lawn alot more fun.

And what exactly is this.

We decided it was used by the US Air Force possibly for suppling ice creams to the B17 crews as they were awaiting departure on a mission.

Mike

duxford9.jpg

duxford8.jpg

I agree Richard ! Lovely old survivor ! She may need a little of the old Farrant magic though as she needed a little help on the parade ! Happens to us all as we get older I guess ! :D

Andy,

My friend sold it to Duxford museum several years ago, so I have no hand in that one now.

.........at least it was a Scammell towing it, not some American truck :D.........thats class !

Here are a couple of others with a few questions.

Now how can you justify having one of these?

It would make clearing the moss from the lawn alot more fun.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28516[/ATTACH]

And what exactly is this.

We decided it was used by the US Air Force possibly for suppling ice creams to the B17 crews as they were awaiting departure on a mission.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28517[/ATTACH]

Mike

that is a cushman trike, I think for the mechanics. I missed photographing that one

Mark

Thanks to all that came - its the vistors and the participants that make it and we all had a fantastic day with a great atmosphere and some excellent visiting vehicles.

The mystery vehicle is an Astros rocket launder ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astros_II_MLRS ) and has seen a lot of work. We've had to delay showing it off as it has some new inhabitants. Once they've flown the nest we'll be able to display more of it and put the finishing touches to the restoration.

The crane looks to have got too hot and suffered from fuel starvation on the cavalcade. She started and ran perfectly after a brief nap while the Scammel gave her some help and she cooled off.

If anyone got some good pics of the Gecko I'd love to see them - she was my ride and unfortunately was the second casualty of the day when we had a re-occurence of tyre pressure problems and had to leave the arena unexpectedly. The show saw the return of the "women drivers" curse, as one of my colleagues also missed out having tripped over and done herself an injury just before the cavalcade. Both colleague and Gecko are due to make a full recovery however :-D

Again many thanks to all that came - I'm sure we'll all be discussing our favourite vehicles for many weeks to come, and the prize winners were all gorgeous. The show team all put in a lot of work and the end result made it all worth it. Even the weather held off until the end of the day, giving us a nice summers day despite the predicted forecast. The heavens openned just as the last vehicles were packing up.

Plans are already afoot for next year and I hope to see you all there again:yay: