MAN Wrecker

hmm ...deep pockets...I have heard that before, if you dont abuse them they are really resilient...well thats my experience of military vehicles...still want a foden...

I know what you mean - mine have been so abused they are full of holes, and the cash just seems to disappear out the bottom. Oh, you meant miltary vehicles....:blush:

Recymech - it looks like manouvreability in confined spaces might be fun with the longer vehicle - how does turning circle compare with your old Foden, and do you foresee any problems given the nature of your work? (Not that a narrow field gateway off a narrow country lane is likely to stop the Army for long :D )

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean - mine have been so abused they are full of holes, and the cash just seems to disappear out the bottom. Oh, you meant miltary vehicles....:blush:

Recymech - it looks like manouvreability in confined spaces might be fun with the longer vehicle - how does turning circle compare with your old Foden, and do you foresee any problems given the nature of your work? (Not that a narrow field gateway off a narrow country lane is likely to stop the Army for long :D )

A really good question, the Foden was bad enough but the new vehicle has the turning circle of a small battleship, it just means you have to think a little more how your going to complete the task. Were it will be a problem is on Operations when trying to get at vehicle casualties in tight built up areas and I imagine it's going to be a little frustrating, that said recy mechs are extremely capable and will just come up with another way of rescuing the casualty.:cool2:

• 3 months later...

A REME friend of mine has just returned from Afghanistan and hit an IED in an MAN wrecker. He survived unscathed but the passenger hit the roof, came down on his head and broke 2 of his vertebrae. The truck 2nd axle hit the IED and was wrecked, and the chassis was bent.

Many MAN's in that theatre have had the Transformers Autobot symbol painted in white on the cranes.

Very highly rated by my friend, but when one of the micro-switches on the wrecking gear goes out, it takes a long time to find and rectify the fault. Vehicle is immobilized until you do apparently...

A REME friend of mine has just returned from Afghanistan and hit an IED in an MAN wrecker. He survived unscathed but the passenger hit the roof, came down on his head and broke 2 of his vertebrae. The truck 2nd axle hit the IED and was wrecked, and the chassis was bent.

Many MAN's in that theatre have had the Transformers Autobot symbol painted in white on the cranes.

Very highly rated by my friend, but when one of the micro-switches on the wrecking gear goes out, it takes a long time to find and rectify the fault. Vehicle is immobilized until you do apparently...

Faults such as your describing are easily rectified with swapping one of the ECUs around in order to get the recovery task completed then the recovery device stowed. Easy to fault find as long as the guys know what their looking for, blokes are learning all the time and as it's very new into service will take a while before everybody becomes MAN ninja's.

Good to hear the blokes ok and only a couple of damaged vertebrae to worry about, testament to the wagons crew survivability, and yes it's a bloody awesome truck.:D

Edited by recymech66

• 2 months later...
Are we right in thinking that tank did the dirty deed? Was it perhaps being towed and somehow overtook the M.A.N.? (but no sign of A frame), or maybe the two met at a junction?

MAN SVR was stationary, Tank was being towed by a CRARRV which lost traction and the blade made contact with the SVR.

Yowser! do you see how much rubber he laid down trying to get that all stopped?

Bet he wont make it to full screw in the next 12 months!

Poor bugger, glad no loss of life or injury except to ego ( I presume )

Im guessing someone will make the decision as to whether it gets CAST or rebuilt. My money will be a rebuild, if not see it at Withams in a few months.

Thoughts

R

Edited by robin craig

Yowser! do you see how much rubber he laid down trying to get that all stopped?

Bet he wont make it to full screw in the next 12 months!

Poor bugger, glad no loss of life or injury except to ego ( I presume )

Im guessing someone will make the decision as to whether it gets CAST or rebuilt. My money will be a rebuild, if not see it at Withams in a few months.

Thoughts

R

All looks cosmetic, you wont be seeing any of these at Withams any time soon :D

Yes of course it is and the missing fuel tank and i'm sure there is supposed to be an outrigger for the crane about half way down the side too all just "cosmetic"

Once parts are in do you really think it's a massive job to replace axle, fuel tank and outrigger? (and a few bins) If REME mechanics can get vehicles blown up by IEDs in Afghan back on the road and motoring I'm sure this job isn't so bad.

• 1 year later...